• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The life of a Stampede 4X4

mydoddy69

why 2350kv over 2650kv? Just curious

Good question and that i don't really have an answer for other than i thought the 2650 would just be too over kill and be a beast to keep the front end down 

So i just got done putting my MIP driveshafts together and thought i'd share some pics and some tips i have come up with.. They more than likely have been done somewhere else if not then i don't know why as it's not rocket science that's for sure,especially if i thought of it :yes: 

Right this is them all together

DSC01784_zpsbac3b7d9.jpg

What i have done is added some of this

DSC01785_zps3c35be7e.jpg

Its just your everyday 25mm heatshrink cut into little bits then slipped over the shaft end like so

DSC01786_zps16c5cb41.jpg

I then just shrank it down to make a seal so the little [pin can't escape even if i loose the grub screw ..Reason for this is i have read of lots of folks loosing the grub screw then the pin pops out and you lose you drive shaft i did it for both male and female ends . I just left enough each end so that it forms a lip on the front side and the ovals on the rear so it cant slip of either way

DSC01788_zps4f1375c7.jpg

DSC01787_zpsb6fe8e29.jpg

So that's them pins sorted nice and safe then i thought i don't like this idea of a grub screw either side to hold the shaft to the diff out put so i used some of these instead

DSC01790_zps62f8d673.jpg

Drop of red threadlock and then i thought might as well use the same trick to capture this pin as well like this 

DSC01789_zps50169d54.jpg

As you can see now all the pins and little grub screws are secured so if they do come undone hopefully i wont loose a shaft ..wells that the idea !!of out to put this through its paces and see what happens  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

What voltage you gonna run? 3500 down to 2350 will need gearing up, unless you're going 4s+?

Its already in and volt wise sticking with a 3s and an odd 4s. Gearing wise i have started at a 19t pinion on the stock 54 spur runs great but has a tiny bit of cogging was going to go up a little on the pinion as well but that would make it worse ..Might whack the punch up and see if i can get away with a couple more teeth thou  :yes:

I would stick the mod 1 Revo set up in personally, nice and robust for the motor kv....3s should be fun, 4s will be lunacy I reckon.... :thumbsup:

That was my first intention to go mod 1 revo spurs but its so tight it just don't quite get a good mesh i tried the 40 spur if i could find a bigger one it would be better ..I could completely butcher the chassis and make it fit and work but don't like that idea. Not unless you know of a better way ?? i'm open to idea's :thumbsup:  

i think you should take the plunge and do the mod 1 buddy, you wont regret it :thumbsup:

if i remember i only had to cut a tiny bit out to get a good mesh i also left the center shaft cover off but i could get it on if i had a dremal to make a nice cut!

on mod 1 with a 16t pinion and 40t spur on 2s its a right handful! matches 3s that standard offered i recon, 3s is insane god knows what 4s would be like hahaha

Surprised that the mod 1 isn't a direct fit...oh dear... custom motor mount would be a solution, not an immediate or cost effective one, but a solution nontheless

its not the mount unfortunately its the chassis, needs a touch removing so the motor can sit down more

Surprised that the mod 1 isn't a direct fit...oh dear... custom motor mount would be a solution, not an immediate or cost effective one, but a solution nontheless

The spur fits the slipper and wot not i just cant get the motor to sit close enough as it hits the chassis it would mesh better with a bigger pinion but that just ads to the cogging more .. I may end up having to take a little more away with the dremel so i can fit a smaller pinion or just volt up and drop the punch .. Worse comes to worse i may loose this motor and go with a Tenshock there only

Thanks for clearing that up for me chaps.

Looked at leopard cans? Narrower but longer, unless length is also an issue. I run a 2650kv in an LCG slash on 3s and it is bonkers, really torquey and keep on pulling...

Been out testing this today and well, the shocks are now a little to soft the slipper is spinning way to much.. It cogs slightly nothing to bad but its there none the less not as much as the mini 8 out the box but i shall try dropping the gearing to see what i can do to help it .. Stock tires are just useless and just kept coming of so they need replacing with the trenchers soon as and some thread lock on there to be safe.. Oh and i have just stripped out the diffs was thinking they be all covered in the usual cheap grease but to my shock they actually had diff oil in them

DSC01782_zps32392c04.jpg

So after a quick clean i have gone for 60 up front and 30 on the rear see how that tickles me fancy :thumbsup: 

As for the slipper going to order up a revo one and for the shocks a couple of traxass red springs and a few losi ones see what works best for me

Also i have got rid of the cable tie on the wheelie bar and instead replaced it with a good old rubber band and a little fancy thread work ..now it stays up and if it pops out it don't drag on the floor but at the same time it still has that flex it needs for those rear end landings   :yes:

Well upgraded me slipper tonight must say its a lot bigger  :thumbsup:

The old one was just slipping even when i had it done all the way up so i invested in the Revo one this is the old one 

DSC01795_zpsa8d18493.jpg

And once i took it apart you can see the shoes are just disintegrating

DSC01796_zps81c409c8.jpg

Not too good !!.. anyway on with the show this is the old against new

DSC01797_zps81d256ce.jpg

DSC01798_zps49d05a53.jpg

As you can see there's quite some difference and finally the finished article

DSC01800_zpsed06411f.jpg

so as you can see from the start it's much bigger and should stop it slipping now, well that's the idea :yes:   

• Like 2

Yep its a dead easy mod to do buy it, fit it, and go bash it .. Just came in from a blast about and i must say its a huge improvement over the stock one :thumbsup: 

Had my shock springs come today but the rears are too short and soft and the same with the fronts so i'll send the fronts back and stick the rears on the front see how i go with that .. Love setting up shocks and getting it to perform well in a host of conditions

So that's my next job on the to do list shock set up .. I'm not going to bother with fancy alloy jobs or super expensive ones instead just mess with the stock ones i think there more than good enough they just need a little tweaking now to compensate for the extra weight .. Might even get some titanium shafts for them will see

• Like 1

Have you had the Stampede out any more? How's a it running temp wise? What gearing are you running now?

Yep its out most days as it sits in the car and is my daily basher till it breaks and comes in doors.. Its running really well but i do need to stick some better rubber on it at some point.. I have got the Trenchers here ready to go but just can't bring me self to use them till i sort out a new shell and get some pics all shinny and new ..

Gearing well i ended up going up 2 teeth and now i'm running a 21t pinion on a 54 spur its a real blast on 3s and just silly on 4s handles way better and is a better ride all round on 3s i think .. temp wise is just brilliant motor gets no hotter than 120f and esc stays at around the 100f and lipos are maxing out at a silly 75f so all in all runs super cool ..

The only issue i have is the cogging its not like bad just very little but it is there none the less. I am a sucker for a bargian and i have come across 2 new motors i'm going to try out both are brand new from a rc chop shop but until they come i'll keep you guys guessing .. If these are no good for what i want then i may go down the sensored route with a Tenshock 3500kv but will see  

• Like 1

Fancy pointing me to the RC chopshop you're using? I'm in need of a new motor for my Slashpede conversion.

Better still if you can hang on in there for a couple of weeks till mine come i'll do you a deal on the one i don't go with save you having to import it and pay the duty ?? 

PM me if you want to know more