• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The life of a Stampede 4X4

mydoddy69

Nice man, Stampedes are fun little bashers. You may want to look into the driveshaft mod, people are putting velcro around the hole in the chassis to keep dirt a rocks out.

+1 Nitroholic, hence why I regret selling my first one for a stupid price and will now not pay the money for another....stick some rpm arms on, bin the vxl set up and you have a competent and fun basher, that takes a lot of stick and bounces back for more....

Love my Stampede it's a great little car fun to drive just treated it to a set of Proline Shocks, fitted MIP driveshafts front and rear great but costly upgrade  :thumbsup: been stocking up on free T shirts from A Main in the USA 

I have to agree with there Nitroholic they are a scary price !! I didn't pay quite that but it was still a pretty penny, you can if you want to wait get the from the likes of Tower and with the saving coupon they send out once in a while for around the

• Like 1

That pic is exactly why I like 1/8 scale so much more. 

Sometime's more is just to much !! i love 1/8th scale stuff don't get me wrong but there's times when you just want a quick bash no frills no fuss just good old fun, something light to carry yet big enough and this fits the bill !!

That looks amazing, I'll be sure to follow this thread and will enjoy seeing your upgrades and thoughts on the model.

I'm new to the hobby but was thinking of getting something similar and never thought about ordering from overseas. Is it worth considering or do tax and custom charges make it an expensive gamble?

Well today i thought i'd do a quick run just see how it goes and i must say right now it was a huge blast !! i only intended to run a couple of packs but ended doing more like 6 !!.. 

Anyway as i said i'd do any mods as i go and share with you guys so to kick it all off here are some real cheap and easy mods all worth doing in my eye 

First up the body shell in the box you get some body washers so i used some shoo goo to attach them to the shell 

DSC01723_zpseab7c055.jpg

Did this front and rear but on the rear i added some homemade foam spacers, i just used some old non slip mat i had and used a paper punch for the holes..Helps to fill out the access body space and made a nice cushion for the shell to sit on !

DSC01724_zpsb97312c5.jpg

Next was a sillt mod but worth the 20 secs it takes to do !!.. The wheelie bar pops out all the time dragging on the floor and gets annoying so a simple zip tie sorted that

DSC01727_zps26b7bb49.jpg

Last was something a little harder this meant removing the rear end the whole rear end which takes about a minute yep i said a minute its just 4 screws !!..The center drive shaft is in like a tube one end is fine all sealed the other is not so you get mud, dust, tiny stones and all sorts in it .. Easy solution use some Velcro the fluffy side to wrap around the shaft and make a seal which is not too tight but not too loose .. The stuff i used has a waterproof backing so will stay put when it gets wet ..

DSC01720_zpsd6bb4f1d.jpg

And fitted back in the truck works a treat !!!

DSC01725_zps00c54302.jpg

Last pic of the day is these shock guards just so folks can see they do a cracking job 

DSC01726_zpsb3f4ac0b.jpg

I really need to look at getting a heatsink for the motor as running it on grass on just 2s gets hot !! not overly and it was wet and muddy but still it wont hurt it any .. 3s on grass and mud was hitting overly hot thou so going to keep the 3s for the black stuff and the 2s for the mud and grass !!

She jumps like a champ and even if you over cook it it bounce's back up on its feet ..Tires are like i thought hard gripless and not much cop .. Servo was a shock was expecting it to be like most rtr rubbish but it does a real good job !! 

So off to find a heatsink  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

how did you get the summit shell on the mt4,isnt the summit 1/10

some say the summit is a 10th scale but i'd say its a 1/8th scale its a huge 10th scale otherwise and a age old argument !! 

It fits it works and its like having a roll cage, i love it on the MT4 ..Might even think of getting one and mod it to fit this !!?? 

Looking good and glad you finally bought one and are happy with it so far.

The mods so far and defo worth doing and are very straight forward, I use tape on my centre driveshaft and to get a perfect amount around it it can be fitted while in place.

I assume you are still running the standard gearing?

You would be better off getting a better combo which I assume you will do at some point?

Did you fit the bearing adapter when you had the rear end off?

Look forward to seeing some pictures of it covered in mud ;).

You might become a Traxxas fan :).

Thanks.

Edited by DazzaClio

Thanks fella and yep this one is going to be a keeper way too much cash in it to sale it anyway !!!

I thought about using tape and heat shrink but liked the Velcro better .. 

Yep at the mo just running the stock 11t i believe ?

No i did not fit the bearing adapter just yet as i wanted to see how far i can push the stocker just out of interest

Motor combo now that's a tough one ?? The stock system is OK really not to bad but if i'm honest a 4 pole motor i think would work better ?? Do i go down the expensive castle 2800kv combo route or take the  cheaper option and go say a WPSC8 and a 2600kv or 2350kv 1/8th scale motor, or the losi /castle knock off route, ..Perhaps i may just get a sc8 4000kv 4 pole combo ?? or even the Tenshock combo but have heard these run hot ?? .. These are just a few i have thought of but decided on none as of yet ..  For now i shall just run the stock system till i make up my mind then i will sell the stock system to help fund the new one 

Muddy pics will be coming as i don't intend on cleaning this over the winter months unless i have to to mod it which shall consist of as bucket of soapy water thrown over it and some GT85 sprayed on it!!

Last but not least a Traxxas fan no that's one thing i shall never be but instead a fan of rc !!!

• Like 1

I really recommend covering the vent hole on your wheels, if you plan on doing runs in mud and water. Once the foam gets caked with muddy water, the wheels will be so unbalanced that you can't drive it, plus the added weight can cause heat issues.