• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The life of a Stampede 4X4

mydoddy69

Looks good just need to find some boggy area with lots of mud and water oh and some jumps would be even better :).

As for combos I've had both the Wp Sc8 with the Ezrun 3656 motor and Wp Sc8 with the Tenshock Sc401, both have been great combos and never had a problem with either.

The Tenshock I've even had running my 1:10th Summit (yes the big one) on 3s geared correctly and never had a problem.

Thanks.

Looks good, although I'd still recommend the wider arms for stability. The other thing I found is that my rear shocks took a real beating whilst generally bashing. I had to straighten them out a few times. I ended up putting some beefy Hong Nor rear shocks on and that sorted it.

Also, keep an eye on the wheely bar. I went through about 4 (traxxas and proline) until I settled on a one-piece (swamy / tbone).. that stock one wont last long :)

Thanks all it was running on a 3s I normally take my ramps over the park but just wanted a quick bash just to see how she performs .. Next bash vid hopefully will be a little better it's just a case of remembering to bring the camera charged !!! .

Motor combo going for something I can get in the UK so was leaning towards the 2350 kv motor in hobbyking along with a WP SC8 then to save me having to fork out more on pinions I will do the mod 1 spur change over . Before this takes place thou need to get some mip's on seeing as it's so well documented that the drive shafts are weak not going to waste any cash on replacing with the stockers going to straight in for kill so to speak !

All ready splurged the cash just waiting for them to show as i thought time i keep buying the stockers might as well put the cash straight in to the MIP's ..Mind you not broke one YET!!!! 

So a little update like a said its going to be a dairy like thread .. Anyway been out trying out some backflips and what not and had some rear end landings along with a few troubles.. The shell eat it self around the rear body mount holes and the rear shock cap blew its top 

DSC01746_zps3122d134.jpg

No big deal i shall just get the tape and shoo goo out and some old lexan off cuts out job done there 

DSC01744_zps2b918517.jpg

Next up these shock caps i knew they where a weak spot just wanted to see how far i could go with them and its not very !!.. good job i have the alloy ones to go on now !!.. if i dont like them after that then i shall more than likely out the stock shocks and go for some G Made ones 

Oh and i got a cheapo heatsink for the motor 

DSC01747_zps299b8f16.jpg

Nothing fancy as the stock system will be getting replaced at some point 

The 4x4 driveshafts are ok, it's the 2wd ones that are thinner and not so tough. I would wait and see how they hold up before splurging.

mine have been rubbish! even new ones i brought cos my 2s bust a rear shaft and that was when it was stock system! now fronts have bust and new rears are about to go.

mips on my order list soon lol

Gopro lens cap? Not seen one of those!

I like to use the open frame so i use lens caps to save it getting scrached  you can get them in a pack for the lens and the cage lens like this 

1d68e119c68de8d1527326950b48b693.jpg

the cage i like to use is this one 

3d3ad8a87ed3dc07d15229ad44c47218.jpg

You get a cap in this kit but there easy to loose !!!

Oh, so you don't use the clear case, just the bare camera? I can't stand having my Gopro out of it's case for fear of scratching the lens! I'd hate to think how much they'd charge to replace that!?

Oh, so you don't use the clear case, just the bare camera? I can't stand having my Gopro out of it's case for fear of scratching the lens! I'd hate to think how much they'd charge to replace that!?

Hence why i use the lens caps, you get a better picture without the case i find but if its wet and muddy the the clear case is the safest bet !!.. i really like the gopro but it has it limits it just doesn't compare when editing from a proper camera you can only zoom in so much and doing the old pan and crop sometimes distorts the image to much.. There a great bit of kit but there cheap rivals from china are catching them up at an alarming rate !! 

Take this one for example 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

For what a lot of us do this is more than up to the job and at the price and what you get very hard to beat !! 

Hence why i use the lens caps, you get a better picture without the case i find but if its wet and muddy the the clear case is the safest bet !!.. i really like the gopro but it has it limits it just doesn't compare when editing from a proper camera you can only zoom in so much and doing the old pan and crop sometimes distorts the image to much.. There a great bit of kit but there cheap rivals from china are catching them up at an alarming rate !!

Take this one for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

For what a lot of us do this is more than up to the job and at the price and what you get very hard to beat !!

Impressive for the price, but no mention of viewing angle, Gopro has that covered. I'd like to get a handheld camera to compliment the Gopro, want something with good optical zoom and low light level function.

Best get back on topic, OP with be going loopy! ;)

DSC01744_zps2b918517.jpg

Next up these shock caps i knew they where a weak spot just wanted to see how far i could go with them and its not very !!.. good job i have the alloy ones to go on now !!.. if i dont like them after that then i shall more than likely out the stock shocks and go for some G Made ones

Hey man, the only bad thing about that is now it's more likely to happen again since the thread has slipped. You may have lucked out though, being as it was the first time, the alloy caps may sort it. If you decide to change them out look into the SCTE shocks, they're a pretty easy swap and are way better than the stockers.

Here's 2 front shocks next to a Traxxas front shock.

2012-10-09191612.jpg

Edited by SchrodeMode

Yep looked at them as a replacement but I think if the stock ones are toast even with the alloy caps then I shall try these

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/gm21407-gmade-xd-aeration-shock-103mm-x2

Add a bit of plumbers tape round the thread with the new caps as well maybe?

The new alloy caps are super tight as they are. Seeing as it was just one cap then went pop i have marked the offending body if it is only that one that pops again then i shall more than likely just get a new body as i'm happy with the shocks other than the cap popping off 

Some more pics later with some updates on bits i have been doing  :thumbsup:

To be honest i don't think it needs alloy big bores the stocks do a grand job as they are other than the caps 

So i little update on things shock caps fitted 

DSC01758_zps576a50f4.jpg

DSC01757_zps984f4750.jpg

While i had the tools out i fitted some other bits that where bugging me fitted a heatsink on the motor and a fan on the esc 

DSC01761_zps9787508a.jpg

Both of which are just a push on job and takes 2 secs  :thumbsup:

Next i got fed up with the body sitting so high so i used a couple of packs of these 

DSC01749_zps41a73e9a.jpg

So i could use these out the bags 

DSC01750_zps510278db.jpg

TDSC01760_zps626113c5.jpg

Removed the old body posts and replaced with these then used a couple of washers and a nut to hold them on job done, now the body sits around an inch lower  :thumbsup: 

Oh and i fixed up the old shell with some shoe goo and tape along with a few off cuts of lexan i had to hand 

Hmm interesting pics. The shocks on the 4x4 are positioned differently to the 2wd ones. Mine are vertical top to bottom (could be the protract arms) and this seemed to add stress to them. Every run, they would be bent up. Moving to the aluminium Hong Nor sorted it though.

IMG_20130928_115525_zps6f1e9de1.jpg

Have you considered the T-bone wheely bar? It's a nice piece.

Edited by MrPug

Hmm interesting pics. The shocks on the 4x4 are positioned differently to the 2wd ones. Mine are vertical top to bottom (could be the protract arms) and this seemed to add stress to them. Every run, they would be bent up. Moving to the aluminium Hong Nor sorted it though.

IMG_20130928_115525_zps6f1e9de1.jpg

Have you considered the T-bone wheely bar? It's a nice piece.

Lock nut's loose there - any reason?

Al.

I find the stock shocks fine ive never popped a cap but obviously mines a Slash 4x4 so a bit different and I would say less strain on the Slash shocks.

I have bent the stock shafts before though but never had a problem since fitting these:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-shock-shafts-hardened-steel/rc-car-products/35584

Have you got some pictures now you have got the body down, that's one thing I hate about the Pede 4x4 is the way the body sits higher than the chassis.

Thanks.

• Like 1