• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Monkey's Golf VR6 project

bodgemonkey

Hey all, was chatting to a friend of my bro who told me he had a VR6, had a look and asked if he wanted to get rid of the wheels, to which he replied that he wanted actually to get rid of the car as a whole. Asked him how much he wanted, in the end i managed to get it yesterday for

I had an R plate one many years ago. Very nice motors but thirsty and nowhere near as fast as they should be for what they are. Probably worth holding on to if you afford to as no doubt they will be worth a fortune in years to come like several of the cars I sold for peanuts over the years.

I had an R plate one many years ago. Very nice motors but thirsty and nowhere near as fast as they should be for what they are. Probably worth holding on to if you afford to as no doubt they will be worth a fortune in years to come like several of the cars I sold for peanuts over the years.

Plenty other cars which have been hold onto over the years!!! 7361132F-BC08-48D8-883C-36210203F662-800

Garage is getting full of Vdubs, still no room for the mk1 gti so the VR will have to go sharpish, it's just i couldnt turn it down for the price!

Personally i don't see why everyone always says VRs are so thirsty, if you keep them up to scratch the 'Rado will do about 38 on a cruise, around 26 in town and around 30 combined.

2.8's are definately slow for what they are, block and gearbox can handle up to around 360hp on stock internals so you can always bolt on a turbo ;)

Done a bit of work today, topped up all the fluids and put some fresh 10-40 in there. Had a K&N fitted which was clogged beyond belief and well past servicing so binned it and stuck a new twin cone filter I had spare on. Cleaned up the engine bay a bit too. Car runs loads better now!

Boot lock was seized, managed to finally get it open and it turns out the parcel shelf was actually a stealth shelf with a pair of decent 6x9 Alpine subs underneath :)

Other than that i've started on the first arch today, just a bit of sanding to see what needs doing tomorrow, bottom of the arch is going to need a bit of welding, could always use filler but I might as well do it properly.
Will probably do all the work needed on the left side tomorrow, get it all in primer and then sort out some paint from the local paint mixers.

Oh yeah, it's got 300mm discs fitted too :)
92BB32DF-A702-4ECC-A6ED-9277EA363539-914 

No real progress really, been busy with uni stuffs today :(

Under the old filter box was an absolute state though so gave it a clean

Before
F9DA4C81-46C7-4D0E-9290-BAC4F07EAE17-914

After
90907896-D626-4AC9-8C76-BEBA4A701821-992

And a cheeky family shot (just need the mk1 in it to complete :lol: )
D6998EC6-E489-4DC4-9944-5877202B443D-992

• 2 weeks later...