• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi mini 8ight newbie

welly

Hi all, very new to the rc scene and have just purchased a mini 8ight for my young son but have to admit it has given me the bug and am going to be getting one for myself. The main issue I have is I have no idea what I am doing and if the car is set up right or anything. We purchased this car following advice from the shop and am so far impressed with it. It is totally standard and straight out of the box. A couple of questions if I may.
1. When the car is switched on it makes a buzzing sound but not all the time, even when the controller is not switched on, is it supposed to do this?
2. I have literally charged the battery up put it in and drove it, do I need to do any setting up at all or is this ok?
3. When I pull the trigger on the controller the metal cog on the motor can spin without the car moving, this is when you pull the trigger slightly, if I apply more pressure it kicks in and away we go.is this supposed to be like this?
As I say this car is my sons and he is only 6 but is heavily exited by it, I know he will break odd bit on it as he goes along but have been informed all replacement parts are readily available.

Sorry for maybe not using the correct terminology but as I say I am new to this and as a father son thing we shall learn together.

Many thanks in advance.

Welly.

the buzzing sound is usually the servo making the noise its ok dont worry about it.

there is nothing todo but connect the battery and drive it unless you change the esc then you would have to program it once but since there is nothing wrong with yours enjoy it.

its just the motor getting to spin up and make the car move but you can adjust the th knob on the controller so it will just pull away straight away.

one thing todo check is the grub screw`s on the driveshafts as they like to come undone and you lose drive here is a pic with the screw marked in blue circle you should check also there is one at the front aswell and one other thing buy some spare rear tyres as you will need them

2011_12_31_1720_zpsa998f4fe.jpg

Many thanks you have put our mins at rest, I shall check the grub screw when I get back make sure it is tight. Can I just ask what is the TH knob on the controller? I have Sussed that the other one adjusts the steering.

Many thanks

TH is the throttle adjustment if you turn it full it will accelerate with out you touching the throttle so adjust until you can pull the throttle and set off with out the motor spinning up first. It would be worth taking the grub screws out and re fitting using some good thread lock on them as they have a habit of working loose :)

Si

Edited by silone74

Well that's a shame, my young one has been out using the car this afternoon and now for some reason it has just stopped working, batteries are all fully charged and there is just nothing. It drove about 30 yards away and then stopped dead and would not work. I picked the car up turned it off then back on and it worked again, then 5 mins later there is just nothing. The steering nor the throttle work it's as if the controller is not sending to the car? Does anyone have any ideas? Please.

Yes brand new. really sorry but as I say we are new to this, what is the tx and rx? and what would I need to do?

Many thanks

Trx=transmitter

Rx=receiver

Look in the manual and it'll have instructions on how to bind them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you cant bind it your self take it back to the shop and explain whats happening if the unit is faulty it should get replaced as it will be under the manufacturers guarantee

Si

I have just purchased one of these and love it!!, have various other losi mainly 1/24 scale, apart from the toys.com website is there any other good sites as I want to upgrade to a lipo for the mini eight

two other site site for lipo`s are giantshark or hobbyking. hobbyking are cheaper price wise i used the 1800 and 2200 nano techs in my mini 8 but you have to mod the battery holder abit just the stick out bit`s at either end and they fit pretty good