• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage XL chassis = improved handling?

vrooom

I currently got savage X which I had for 10 years, (it started as SS then I upgraded to X spec...)

Im considering to get XL chassis,   to get longer wheelbase for more high speed stability in air and on ground.

Does XL chassis improve the handling?      and will sway bar kit help that?

Dont worry, they will be fine. Bearing placement in savage hubs is not the strongest out there, but it is still OK. Just do not use offset rims and large heavy wheels with the xl axles and the bearings will hold up. 

If you are seriously after the handling, get HPI suspension conversion kit, sway bar kit, and Super 5sc flux gearbox with a center diff. 

If you are on a budget, get just the sway bar kit.

wow center diff.. always wanted that... but wouldn't that send the power to front wheel when I nail the throttle.

does center diff drop in my 2 speed gearbox?    I noticed it has 30t pinion on center diff wherea the kit SS / X 2 speed box has 39t. 

Edited by vrooom

It won't send all the power to the front wheels if you tune it properly, that's where diff oils come in..

Edited by smash

By the way im still running dirty nitro engine.   had a flux but didn't work out for me.   

oil is all well good but they leak out one day...:(   but im glad it had center diff.

Ahhhh I had a look at manual..   It seemed a easy conversion.  I need 31t teeth with 30t idler gear.  I already has a diff... :D

Thanks for ideas.

Im going for XL chassis with sway bars,  with center diff at later date.

If you don't want to go the full XL length take a look at IRC extended TVPs. They give a decent enough extension to improve handling and tame wheelies, but without giving the 'stretched' proportions of the XL. I have a set on mine, and also some offset wheels, HPI suspension conversion kit, and HPI sway bars. It actually handles pretty damn well for a Savage, but hasn't lost it's 'monster truckness'.

Personally I don't like the idea of a centre diff in a MT, if you're going to go that far why not just get a truggy?

Edited by DreXeL
  • Like 1