• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28/MGT 4.6 Brushless build (with centre diff) Updated 25/03/14

MAZ

@ MrPug, yeah they're your old ones but I think the camera flash made them look so bright and shiney - I haven't done anything with them

@ Jari, they're the front shocks - its not a perfect fit, used a bit of fuel tube to make it work. I'll get some pics up to show you. It'll be better when I get some new bolts and mod it slightly.

I'll be getting some bolts for the hinge pins too as I think that'll work better that the stock pin with tiny amount of thread on it

• 1 month later...

how is Your mta going?

Heya, my mta4 conversion is on hold at the moment - I will be starting it back up in the new year :)

To be honest I've been more into my first love - my truggy :D

Got an early birthday/christmas present http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/138379-hyper-st-owners-thread/page-27#entry1902644

The mta4 will get there but just needs more time lol

How is your one?

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since I updated this build thread so thought it was time to get on it again :)

I've been having problems trying to find the right sized driveshafts to fit with Torque3's motor mount

20140118_130502_zpsecde499e.jpg

- I finally got it sorted only to come across this problem

20140118_132731_zpsf33dffc7.jpg

The M4 cap head diameter of the bolts are too big to fit :/ Same problem if I flip the bolts around

20140118_132916_zps6fc2b7d3.jpg

Worth mentioning that I didnt know this was going to be a problem until after I'd drilled out the chassis to fit the m4 bolts - they're m3 sized normally.

So I thought I get a bit creative and drill out the holes a bit more (it was late, I was annoyed that things weren't going well...long story short - the holes now fubar :()

20140118_131930_zps865467d2.jpg

Luckily I'm getting another chassis sent over to me for the princely sum of

• Like 1

Yikes sounds like a minor nightmare... it'll be awesome once done but this just makes me glad I stuck with the original driveshafts and tranny.. that just 'worked'. I think I would have ended up spending a fortune taking the centre diff route.

Yikes sounds like a minor nightmare... it'll be awesome once done but this just makes me glad I stuck with the original driveshafts and tranny.. that just 'worked'. I think I would have ended up spending a fortune taking the centre diff route.

Admittedly it hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked but its not too much of a hassle. When I got the mta4 s28 I knew the transmission was an issuse so to replace that with the s50 transmission would have cost as much as getting the motor mount etc.

The centre diff conversion is also less hassle to fix if something goes wrong (I assume so anyway)

I'll be getting a replacement chassis soon but will try to sort something out with the knackered chassis as it seems a shame to waste it because of me botching the holes :/

I have a spare motor mount so gonna have a play around with it (at some point!)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been more active with my hyper st at the moment as I picked up a nitro one just after christmas :)

I'm using the other mount I got as the hyper 7 centre diff cups don't fit through the holes of your mount :/

I'll do a review this weekend though

• 1 month later...

Well, after a long break I've decided to get my mta4 conversion finished :)

This mainly came about because I borrowed the electrics from my brushless Hyper 7 - A pin that keeps the hex in place that in turn is held by a grub screw disapeared when I last took the hyper for a spin. Rather than get a new pin I thought "sod it I'll get the mta4 finished instead"

20140323_093410_zpsc056f550.jpg

Naked hyper 7

20140323_093517_zps5650b0ed.jpg

While I was messing with the electrics I also fitted some big joes (14mm hex though *gulp!*)

20140322_115500_zps4facac10.jpg

I'm only testing at the moment so haven't decided on the final layout

20140323_093627_zpscccbf1e9.jpg

20140323_173950_zps5ef2cb18.jpg

The motor is a leopard 2000kv 4274 sized can

Esc is a hobbywing 150a

Servo is a power hd jobby

The pinion is probably a 17t on a stock hyper 7 centre diff (52 spur?) - probably massively over geared lol

I was also tempted to hack up the losi tray that was in hyper 7 but in the end I decided against it ;)

So now on the lookout for a battery tray that'll fit in mta4

That's it for now, cheers for looking :)

Edited by MAZ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

okay so IMO:

xerun is poor for this truch inside it has 30 hi powers  mosfets instead of 36 like in mamba tekin rx8 etc .

this motor 4074 will get hot 

17T pinion gear rhis setup above 100 km.h on 5s

this mounts are bad because Youmount them only on 2 screwz each and only on the sides :D i wantto see a litle jumps with them.

change motor to 4082 or bigger spur to 12/13   

ive got my first mgt with this setup same setup but 4082 leopard andive burned up 2 xeruns before i understand that this escig good to rc up to 5 kg

Edited by torque3

I have a 40x 88mm long motor mounted exactly the same way and I am yet to have a single breakage of the mounting screws... It is fine even for big jumps.

But I agree that it is way overgeared and a bigger motor would be a better choice, however, if he gears it down ( a lot!) I think his eletronics will survive with no problems.

I stuck those electrics in there as I wasnt using my Hyper 7 buggy so thought I'd give them a go. I'll definitely be gearing right down to begin with ;)

I've also have a 4082 2000kv motor in my Hyper ST so if needs be I'll swap the motors over.

I've seen a lower torque motor on the hobbyking that I like the look of, it's not too expensive either so may have to get one next month :)

• 7 years later...