• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28/MGT 4.6 Brushless build (with centre diff) Updated 25/03/14

MAZ

How much is the conversion set to cost you? 

As yet I dont know lol, i've got a brushless truggy and buggy that I can steal the electrics from to see what works best first.

just getting a price from the dude on ultimateRC regarding the mount

As yet I dont know lol, i've got a brushless truggy and buggy that I can steal the electrics from to see what works best first.

just getting a price from the dude on ultimateRC regarding the mount

You'd probably want something like this:

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=Universal+Center+Diff%2FMotor+Mount

and then the diff, driveshafts etc.

looks expensive! (around $130 including postage just for the mount) I'd personally try and find a second hand mount.

Here's a thread on what diffs are a good fit with that mount:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27200

sounds like the Ofna spider diff is a good choice:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1461_1950/products_id/211648/n/OFNA-Complete-Spider-Center-Differential

again, not cheap at around $80.

I'm not pretending these parts are going to bolt straight together as I've not tried it, it's just some info for you to research a bit. The mount for instance is generic, so you will need some custom work to fit it onto your truck, I'm sure.

Edited by MrPug

*update

I've just paid for the custom motor mount :)

The guy I've been speaking to via email seems really cool and genuine and the custom mount looks amazing!

I'll post some pics up when it arrives

Its coming from Poland so who knows when it'll get here lol

*update

I've just paid for the custom motor mount :)

The guy I've been speaking to via email seems really cool and genuine and the custom mount looks amazing!

I'll post some pics up when it arrives

Its coming from Poland so who knows when it'll get here lol

Excellent stuff. Very interested to see the quality and how you get on. 

What diff will you use? 

hi guys I make those motormounts :)   cos tof two plates 11 mm thick  each one  made from alloy 7075  , all of the center diffs fit ( 16 mm bearings ) and spur gear maximum 52 t ,    cost of complet is 75 $ shipped all over the world if anybody want them just write me [email protected]

I can also make a full complet ready to mount - mounts center diff and shafts that will fit perfectly 

I've just had a thought...

The Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28 is the same as the Team Associated MGT 4.6 - is that right?

But its not the same as the MGT 8.0? Is the chassis completely different?

If it is then I need to find out if the motor mount I'm getting is for the mgt 4.6 or the mgt 8.0

No the chassis is exactly the same between the two. Both the S50 and S28 box are interchangeable

Oh okay so, the Team Associated MGT 4.6 is the Thunder Tiger MTA4 S28 and the MGT 8.0 is the S50

Is it just that the gearbox on the S50/MGT 8.0 has metal gears rather than plastic or are there any other differences between the two?

Team associated are owned by thunder tiger. So I think the differences are just down to branding. To pick up US projects search for MGT roster than mta - you will have better luck.

I bet that the RC8.x series of buggy and truggy parts will also fit. E.g. the diffs.

To confirm what monsieur pug has said... I have matched up an S 50 geaebox on an S28 chassis -fits perfectly.

Team associated are owned by thunder tiger. So I think the differences are just down to branding. To pick up US projects search for MGT roster than mta - you will have better luck.

I bet that the RC8.x series of buggy and truggy parts will also fit. E.g. the diffs.

To confirm what monsieur pug has said... I have matched up an S 50 geaebox on an S28 chassis -fits perfectly.

The front /rear diffs from an MGT/MTA4 would be fine I'd imagine. they are pretty tough. You could put some different weight oils in them to react to your taste/driving style. I'd be more worried about the centre diff, but again the right oil would help.

You will have to experiment for sure. It's not as simple as just using the old transmission. You are altering the biggest part of the drivetrain by switching to a centre diff. Find someone with the same hardware as you settle on, and ask them what oils they are using front/centre/rear. Go with them as a starting point and then experiment if you are not happy with the result.

• 2 weeks later...

*A little update :)

Motor mount should be here sometime next week

Saw these on ebay and got them absolutely dirt cheap (probably shouldn't have got them as I'm skint lol, but had to have them!)

20130831_231440_zps546a8f7c.jpg

2 working diffs + diff cases and a rear bumber... how much would that come to brand new?!

• 2 months later...

Update time :) :) :)

Its been awhile what with problems getting hold of an centre diff/brushless mount conversion and being too busy at work then being exhausted when I get home

Gradually giving the mta4/mgt a strip down and clean and last night I came across the hinge pins

20131110_220904_zpse9649d7e.jpg

Not impressed with those so will be changing them for some bolts at some point - I'll probably have to dremel a little of the plastic away on the arms for the bolts to fit but I think it'll be worthwile mod. I've got rpm arms too so will do it to them at some point as well (maybe. ...)

I didnt get to do to much last night as a friend came round but I did manage to put a load of oily grime on the living room rug (the missus hasnt noticed yet thank god)

20131110_223923_zps802e41ea.jpg

I need to get some marine grease for the diffs before I refill them -haven't decided yet on what wt oil to use.

I'll get some pics up tonight of the motor mounts that I've got too

Thats it for now :)

oil grime on the carpet- someone is going to get spanked :D how did you sort the mounts out? did you eventually get them?

Yep, finally got them :)

I did a thread on that actually http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/180580-updated-251013-opening-a-paypal-dispute-over-a-motor-mount-that-hasnt-arrived-amicable-end-i-think/

In a nutshell, I waited and waited for the mount to turn up - I opened a dispute on the 44th day as you only have 45 days to open a dispute with paypal.

I got my money back and got a mount from a dude located in Greece - turned up just fine :)

I got a message from the first guy soon after saying this time he had sent them internationally tracked... even though I'd got my money back and bought another mount. We sorted it out in the end and came to a good agreement :)

Check out the URC forum if your interested in the mount or what other people have to say http://ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177288

I've also ordered some Carlube silicone grease so I can re-oil the front and rear diff and redo the shocks too

Was it Torque389/Torque3 you've had problems with? Ive seen his stuff for sale on ebay too and on other forums and see that people have been waiting crazy lengths of time for what they have paid for, and he just gives excuse after excuse as to why its not been posted.......

I've seen the one from greece too so I'll go with that option for my brushless build methinks!!

Was it Torque389/Torque3 you've had problems with? Ive seen his stuff for sale on ebay too and on other forums and see that people have been waiting crazy lengths of time for what they have paid for, and he just gives excuse after excuse as to why its not been posted.......

I've seen the one from greece too so I'll go with that option for my brushless build methinks!!

Yeah its torque3 I've been talking to him on and off for a bit now and I think he's realised that he has to do things properly i.e send items using an internationally tracked courier and not take so damningly long sending items out.

I still need to do a review on both the mounts!

You have 2 mta4's/mgt's?

Yes mate I've got two of em lol...Both nitro but been thinking of turning the alloy one into brushless.

I changed the alloy a arms to blue RPM and have an rc solutions rollcage on it which does away with the body posts as the shell sits directly on the cage, but in my opinion ends up looking a little too low....

I've got no clue on electric motors, got no idea what kv is or 5s and 6s etc, so I'll be watching your build with much interest!! 

This is pic of the bottom of the motor mount I got from the guy in Greece

20131117_203453_zps7e483bd3.jpg I asked him to drill/tap some screw holes at the bottom of each corner of the mount for more support

Originally the only points to mount it onto the chassis were the slots on the side of the mount 20131117_204505_zps200e0dbc.jpg

The ones from torque3 come predrilled already