• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

KM Baja's Basic "YES" & "NO" answers

Feedtheinferno

YES - KM baja's are good for the money.

NO - We can't decide what model you should buy for you as its your money and ultimately your the one using it. But seeing as you are obviously trying to save money due to even thinking about KM, buy the KSRC001 . overall the vale in this is the fact it comes with a very good budget tx/Rx, and a tuned pipe. The more expensive models come with larger engines, slightly different hop ups like alloy parts and extra spares like arms and filters.

NO - The KM's are not as good as the genuine HPI's out of the box but only because of the tooling process rather than the part quality. Some tests have been carried out by members where like for like parts were compared and the variances were minute.

YES - The KM's do need to be checked over when you buy them. Check thread-lock on the screws, oil in the diff/gearbox and oil in the shocks. A must for any new car but with the tooling process of these cars it's essential.

YES - You need to buy a Killswitch....no arguing if you can't afford the extra

Edited by Feedtheinferno
  • Like 1

YES - The KM's do need to be checked over when you buy them. Check threadlock on the screws, oil in the diff/gearbox and oil in the shocks.

i disagree with these 2 points.

the top one goes for every rc, not just km's

you don't need to buy a killswitch, it not law, but it is a good idea to have one if you want to buy one.

I agree with you, but I am being specific to this specific brand and the subject of check over comes up a lot so it needs to be reiterated here.

In regards to the killswitch you are right it will start and go without one but you are a fool to use a 15kg RC that can travel at over 30mph without one unless you only run it on your own on private land.

I agree with you, but I am being specific to this specific brand and the subject of check over comes up a lot so it needs to be reiterated here.

In regards to the killswitch you are right it will start and go without one but you are a fool to use a 15kg RC that can travel at over 30mph without one unless you only run it on your own on private land.

that is your opinion, you may want to rethink about buying things from me again, as my baja doesn't have a killswitch, so i guess that makes me a fool.

• Like 2

that is your opinion, you may want to rethink about buying things from me again, as my baja doesn't have a killswitch, so i guess that makes me a fool.

Look I am not trying to insult anyone I am trying to make people as safe as possible when using these things, you are very experienced and it is your choice to do what ever you like with your baja I am trying to be extremely brass about what someone new to this should do.

Again sorry for any offence caused.

Imagine someone new to rock climbing for example, you don't "need" any of the harnesses in order to do the climbing, but you use them to make it safer. Someone more experienced will of course do free-climbing with nothing to aid them but its all about the risks you are willing to take. 

If I don't suggest they are a good idea here how would someone new know they are a extremely helpful safety device.

• Like 2

I see the point that you are making when people don't even look for what they want to know  but the point of a forum is to help others and give advice to people. New people will always ask the same questions so the best thing may be to have a topic that is pined with links to the most asked question's. if people still don't ask then they are just plan lazy :)  

So what I need for a KM Baja to make it good :lol:

Hpi parts, apparently pmsl

Most ppl who but these hop them up anyways. I've had 4/5 hpi bajas in the past and upgraded 90% of them all with aftermarket parts but at end of day if parts work then who cares lol

Btw I know lots of ppl who don't use killswitches and they're very experienced racers and bashers. I do agree its peace of mind but killswitches can also fail.

some people just want someone to reply to their thread so they get attention, its pathethique!!! Its one thing asking a pertinent question its another posting willy nilly threads on the very same day on the very same page about the very same thing....................................

Read the forum go buy your car using the advice available then post up interesting  stuff like unboxing fun, firststart up etc

and use a killswitch!! who cares if you know a man who knows this fella etc 

Edited by baorevo

This is turning into a great thread :)

I don't own a 1/5 scale - I dont have the time or the money for it and the noise factor would definitely be a problem.

The size of a 1/5 could also cause problems at home (I.e the missus absolutely detesting it being in the house)

But...

I'll level with you here - I'd love to have a baja (km or hpi) - they look awesome

I'm so jealous of you guys :(

i want a cloned km  :tank:  or even better a pink barbie car with a brushless

Is that a Rovan you want then or a aftermarket hopped up baja? I remember someone (a woman) had a pink powdercoated baja a while ago but I don't remember if it had Barbie decals on it!!

YES - KM baja's are good for the money.

NO - we won't help you decide which is best for you, its your bloody money! But seeing as you are obviously trying to save money then buy the KSRC001 .

NO - The KM's are not as good as the genuine HPI's out of the box but only because of the tooling process rather than the part quality.

YES - The KM's do need to be checked over when you buy them. Check threadlock on the screws, oil in the diff/gearbox and oil in the shocks.

the main reason l bought kill switch is T/B servo failure. if this happens l will stop the engine with the 3rd channel on my remote. if you do not have kill switch and your T/B servo fails while on full throttle what can you do? same as real car with no breaks and you can do NOTHING....

Edited by rytis

I think it should be stickied but leave out the hpi / km dispute it's down to personnel taste or cost I came over to 1/5 scale after owning several intros and fluxes which are now sat on the shelf but I did read about both makes on here as my neighbour was selling a km but after some friendly advice from this forum I was told it was overpriced so I settled on brand loyalty and bought hpi ( now own 3 savages 1 nitro and 1 large and 1 small flux hp/xs and a trophy flux buggy. As for the kill switch debate I've still not got one but will be but I'm too afraid to ask for advice lol.

So at the end of the day it's a r/c forum and probually one of the first sites the noobies visit ( we were all one once )

It doesn't bother me whether people run a genuine HPI baja or a clone of any description, as long as they're happy and that it doesn't affect anyone else in a negative way.

I've got a KM clone because not only couldn't I afford to spend

Edited by MarcusF
  • Like 2

The one thing I do object to on forums is when people are told to use Google. If people are just going to be told to use Google we might as well close down the forum and be done with!

I'm a mod over at a very large forum with almost 300,000 members, one of the things that really really gets on forum members, admins and mods alike is the fact that people before they post can't use a simple search function or browse a sub category. Granted sometimes its one of those questions which are few and far between, but other times to see the same things 10 times a week it gets a little tedious, so i have every sympathy when people ask others to search for something quite obvious.

Take today, i was considering dual servos for my FG, but before I put text to webpage i searched around to see if anyone else had any information or had done it before, granted I found only a marginal amount but it's all about discipline.

• Like 1