• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Upgrading to brushless - is it that simple?

Kingearlie

I recently bought my son a Maverick Strada MT Evo (brushed) for his birthday. While it's great value for money, I'm already starting to regret not paying a little more to get him the brushless 's' version.

From what I understand, if I wanted to upgrade to brushless I'd also need to upgrade the ESC too. Is there anything else I would need to upgrade or is that it? I bought a spare 5300mah nimh battery which I'm assuming will be good enough to power a brushed motor.

I'm very new to RCs (can you tell?!) and I'm not looking for the perfect solution, just something that will offer a little better performance without having to make a ton of alterations to the stock set up.

The cheapest I've found the genuine HPI parts for is

Yea try getting a lipo (there is a big thread on how To handle and so) and a charger that can charge them.

It will give you a little more power from the existing brushed system.

There is also a site called hobbyking.com it's a good site to buy from aslong as you try the uk/euro warehouse as there will be no customs charge.

You can buy esc's and brushless motors for around half the price of that from wheelspin,

Yea try getting a lipo (there is a big thread on how To handle and so) and a charger that can charge them.

It will give you a little more power from the existing brushed system.

There is also a site called hobbyking.com it's a good site to buy from aslong as you try the uk/euro warehouse as there will be no customs charge.

You can buy esc's and brushless motors for around half the price of that from wheelspin,

Thanks for this, I visited hobbyking.com and it definitely looks like a cheaper option. Another dumb question though, would you recommend sensored or unsensored? What's the difference?

Sensored is when the esc knows where the rotor arm is so that It gives a smoother delivery of power

Unsensored is it may stutter when it starts and it has to guess where it is. So the start and power isn't so smooth.

They say sensored is better as its smoother but for bashing (just general use) either will do.

• Like 1

If the drivetrain is weak, you may find yourself having more breakages than normal with using brushless as it delivers a much larger amount of power than brushed does, try it first but it may be worth upgrading any weak links on the drivetrain with aftermarket parts.

The 4 threads at the top of the electric section will give you more information and a general insight into how it all works.

I've just shortened to give a tough outline.

Really helpful reading - thanks for pointing this out!

Based on what I now know, I'm planning on buying a motor/ESC combo with a similar Kv rating as the Evo S model (3215Kv). To the best of my knowledge the S has the same drivetrain as the brushed standard Evo so shouldn't need to change anything else (I hope!).

I'll aim to get him a lipo once he has a handle on the brushless.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys!

You can't beat the EZrun combos. I've got one in my Blitz, E-Revo, TT-01 and Mini T and they never give me any problems. Cheap as chips too. As Juggernaut said Hobbyking is perfect for lipos, but make sure you select the UK warehouse. I purchased my ezrun combos from Hong Kong land as they were cheaper, but prepare to have your pants pulled down by customs.

Edited by MarcusF