• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hpi blitz thread

Still running mine too, currently got a 3100kv on 3S, but will probably be putting the ezrun 4700kv back in soon, on 2S. Really recommend a better / stiffer steering rack, stronger servo and some ali knuckles n camber blocks, means you can use thread lock for the pesky cap head screws so they don't constantly back out.

• Like 2

On 25/06/2017 at 07:07, cookie666uk said:

I still run mine. Love it!! I run her on 3s. Ive learnt to control the power now.....

I couldn't bear to imagine these things on 3s!

I managed to rip the ESC from it's tape at the weekend, shortly after my son gunned the throttle from standstill which ripped a tyre straight off

Going to see how the steering and servo upgrades help with the control, and then look at lower gearing I think 

Edited by Ash59fifty-uk

I couldn't bear to imagine these things on 3s ? I managed to rip the ESC from it's tape at the weekend, shortly after my son gunned the throttle from standstill which ripped a tyre straight off

Going to see how the steering and servo upgrades help with the control, and then look at lower gearing I think 

You might want to look at adjusting the camber and steering links to make the car more controllable and more stable. The wheels should have a bit of negative camber front and rear and setting a few degrees of toe in on the front will make the car a bit easier to drive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leo Best said:

You might want to look at adjusting the camber and steering links to make the car more controllable and more stable. The wheels should have a bit of negative camber front and rear and setting a few degrees of toe in on the front will make the car a bit easier to drive.

Thanks, my next order arriving from Modelsport has toe and camber gauges so I'll try these settings when they arrive

I tried to have a go by eye, and do other things without the proper tools and stuff. Also ordered a stand and a few other bits. Wish I purchased what I ordered sooner. Setting the car up on a charger box and an iPhone box just doesn't cut it, lol

I still use an old shoe box, one of those slightly smaller ones from the kids Clarks shoes... Does the job, though I think I'll be asking the Mrs for a rotating shoe box for Christmas... :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bertberr said:

I still use an old shoe box, one of those slightly smaller ones from the kids Clarks shoes... Does the job, though I think I'll be asking the Mrs for a rotating shoe box for Christmas... :D

Haha, I'd stick with the iPhone and charger box but it just slides all over the place. Was adding things to fill the basket up so I thought I may as well

23 hours ago, Ash59fifty-uk said:

I couldn't bear to imagine these things on 3s!

I managed to rip the ESC from it's tape at the weekend, shortly after my son gunned the throttle from standstill which ripped a tyre straight off

I dont give her full throttle very often but its very useful for a quick pass or surprising mates lol.

I made my own esc mount out of some ally sheet. Another useful tip is to swap the steering knuckles out for the included in line ones, makes a world of difference to handling!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cookie666uk said:

I dont give her full throttle very often but its very useful for a quick pass or surprising mates lol.

I made my own esc mount out of some ally sheet. Another useful tip is to swap the steering knuckles out for the included in line ones, makes a world of difference to handling!

5 hours ago, Leo Best said:

Inline steering blocks definitely make the handling sharper and increase turn in. Perfect for running up and down doing u turns!

Awesome I'll add them on and give it a try 

15 hours ago, cookie666uk said:

I've just realised I haven't really posted any up to date photos of my blitz since I bought it 2 years ago. Here she is as she stands today....

Proline Ford F150 Raptor Flotek shell

Exotek front brace

Titanium lunsford links with ESE rod ends

STRC front and rear shock towers

STRC hinge pin retainers front and rear

STRC CNC castor blocks

HPI Aluminium Steering set up

RPM In line Steering knuckles

RPM Rear Hub Carriers

T Bone Racing SC Racer rear bumper

Proline Badlands all round

Hobbywing SC8WP esc with Hobbywing 3400kv motor running 20/88 gearing and 20k diff oil

Custom aluminium esc mount

I'd like some better shocks but the stockers are holding up ok still surprisingly! 

So to the pics.....

Shes my baby, the only rig I've brought brand new and added everything too.... and she never fails to bring a smile to my face!

Looks awesome, do you race or bash it? 

On 26/06/2017 at 20:33, Leo Best said:

I used your guidelines last night for tweaking. Decided on 1 degree of toe in, -2 camber. Tried the car tonight on tarmac for the first time and it drives as straight as an arrow, even at full throttle. Far better than before. I'll put in the blocks next as you & Cookie mentioned. It now feels like a different car!

Set up the same on the Siege which drives much better now too

I did buy the RPM toe in guage, but after three hours of what felt like I was turning slowly insane, I gave up trying to figure out how to use it. So I used the camber guage against the skirting board method instead to set it the toe

Edited by Ash59fifty-uk
  • Like 1

I forgot to add she sports one of the bluebird full ally case servos. BMS 23a. Very fast on 6v. I havent had the chance to run it on 7.4 yet.... And it'll take 8.4v too... 

BTW I noticed 3 racing make some upgraded spur gears for this and the firestorm so I've ordered a few (5) to see how they fair. Cant be any worse than the stock hpi ones surely?! Should be here sometime this week so I'll report back once I've given it full 3s beans for a few packs....

Be interested to hear how you get on with these... I still have a CRC spur in mine, fine at the moment, but can't seem to get them anymore so another option would be good to know about, well other than the AE spur and top shaft mod.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2017 at 19:03, cookie666uk said:

I forgot to add she sports one of the bluebird full ally case servos. BMS 23a. Very fast on 6v. I havent had the chance to run it on 7.4 yet.... And it'll take 8.4v too... 

When you mention the different voltages for the servo, what do you mean?

i notice some are digital and have voltage ratings, would other parts be required to use them? Are they not plug and play with the stock ESC etc 

When you mention the different voltages for the servo, what do you mean?

i notice some are digital and have voltage ratings, would other parts be required to use them? Are they not plug and play with the stock ESC etc 

See servos are known as high voltage servos which usually means they can take up to 7.4V for extra speed and torque compared to the stock 4.8-6V that a normal receiver provides. As far as I know a separate BEC is required to use a high voltage servo to its full potential.

• Like 1

Some escs with a built in adjustable BEC can be adjusted to suit your servo. Other than that you would need a BEC such as the Castle Creations one to acheive the full use of the servo. However they are still an upgrade on the stock one by a country mile even with 6v. 

On 2017-7-3 at 20:42, bertberr said:

Be interested to hear how you get on with these... I still have a CRC spur in mine, fine at the moment, but can't seem to get them anymore so another option would be good to know about, well other than the AE spur and top shaft mod.

still waiting. slowest plane ever....

• Like 1

Soooo.....

3 racing spurs have turned up. they dont fit the stock slipper setup... not even close! however with a minor amount of work i can get them to fit the associated top shaft.... I just need some slipper pads with a 9mm centre hole. i think the hpi jumpshot ones will work. anybody got one they could measure for me?

we'll see. 

Luckily I discovered I had a spare 88t spur in the spare gearbox that I thought was ready for overhaul.... so now I can go racing tomorrow!

Edited by cookie666uk
  • Like 1

Think I've sorted the 3 racing spur issue. Got some 9x5x4mm bearings on the way and I think the associated slipper pads will work fine though weirdly I only have one.... will have a go at building it into the spare gearbox this evening...

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone :)

build myself a blitz

20935130_10203667988496851_5293189994505

Have a problem (or not) the motor gets very hot even without gears, its hpi mmh-4000 motor and emh-3s esc. could it be the batteries? As I tested it with my mini 2s lipo from my 1/16 slash. Overlander sport 25c 1800mAh...

Need wheels :) any good cheaper options for bashing?

About servo, i used from my wr8 (sf-10w) but probably need something diferent :)

Which one is better: Alturn AAS750MG or Savox SC0254MG

Thank you :)

Edited by Manis
photobucket doesn't show picture