• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

looking for a durable body for a monster truck

Mr. Doktor

My truck is quite big, 64cm bumper to bumper, wheelbase is approximately 400mm. I need a body shell of the lst2 xxl, savage xl or cen gst size. Who makes the most durable body shells for large trucks? I am considering either a cen nemesis body shell or a lst xxl body shell, which one is tougher? Thanks!

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000004207

nice to use with a roll bar..so it doesnt crush...

shore it up with drywall tape/shoe goo and gorilla tape..sorted...

if you want a more traditional look.... http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=7196

but the tail tends to get mashed....

i was going to get 1 of those but was well warned away from them. sure, they are alot stronger, but hardly any flex in them. they are said to crack and split very easy. unless it's going to live on the shelf, i personally wouldn't bother.

it is hard to find a suitable shell for these big trucks though, aint it?

That's why im going to put the Alza XL 5B Style TVP's on my Savvy so i don't have to use a shell. I put the HPI XL GT Gigante shell on my XL Flux as i thought the same (fiber glass would just crack) as there is no flex + its twice the price. That said the Lexan HPI Shell lasted less than 2 runs :/ 

In all honesty i would jut fit a plastic roll cage if your not bothered about looks?

I've been through tons of shells on my monster but managed to work out where the vulnerable sections are and sort it.

Things like body post holes can be made solid with rubber washers glued inside them...the back end of my truck always got mashed when i rolled it so it now has a long wheelie bar to take the brunt....internal roll bars also help..

thanks for ideas, but I dont want any fibreglass body, they are heavy and I am afraid it would damage body posts or even shock towers. And most of all, they are expensive!

I will try to figure out some roll cage protection and some body reinforcement around the pody posts and sharp curves too.

My next question is how strong the lst 2 xxl bodies are? 

My best body so far has been a HB lightning truggy body. 1mm thick lexan and it survived almost anything. The only problem now is that my savage is slightly oversized and these bodies are simply too short, so I am limited to those from lst xxl or cen gst.

Proline do a bunch of short course and desert truck bodies that'll fit on an XL, all very well made from thick lexan - http://prolineracing.com/short-course-desert-truck-bodies (VW bug's won't, unfortunately..).

The wheel arches will probably need trimming, depending on what wheels/tyres you're using.