• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BUILD THREAD - Losi 8ight 3.0

duopkik

Right then, time to cram it in!

IMG_0723_zpsd40ebffd.jpg

Radio tray done. The kit comes with a long black antenna tube, but I prefer my own pink stumpy one.

IMG_0724_zps813d8e58.jpg

IMG_0725_zps3b970629.jpg

Screwing the radio tray in.

IMG_0726_zps62d878f7.jpg

Connected up.

IMG_0727_zps89212705.jpg

On to the wing. Notice the 2 wickerbills (different sizes). I have used the larger one just because it's the biggest.

IMG_0728_zps35a12e74.jpg

Wickerbill held on by 4 nuts and bolts.

IMG_0729_zps73b06888.jpg

IMG_0730_zps4288ca6a.jpg

Fitted.

IMG_0731_zps172994e9.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsd3b1b670.jpg

looks cool, when u going to take it out?

Sunday is race day and the car is super stiff. Will handle like a brick on wheels for the first 30-40 minutes use. Currently spraying the shell which will also need stickering up and also need to run the engine in but it will all be ready for race day.

Thanks for the comments so far. 

In answer to your recent questions.

2 sets of wheels, no tyres.

My battery and servos are clean  :whistling:

New quick change engine mount replacing the standard engine mounts.

IMG_0733_zps3b7fcae1.jpg

Fitted

IMG_0734_zps71561a21.jpg

New engine in and meshing up!

IMG_0735_zpsa08ac60b.jpg

Meshed up so tightening up.

IMG_0736_zps21c0fc65.jpg

I can finally install the fuel tank.

IMG_0737_zpsb0d85367.jpg

In with the pipe stay mount.

IMG_0739_zpsbb471813.jpg

Engine, pipe and fuel line fitted.

IMG_0740_zps46456817.jpg

Gas cooler. Fancied a change from orange so got a bright blue one. Was going to get the red one but it just wasn't quite pink enough for my liking.

IMG_0741_zps09888848.jpg

Make a small incision for the zip tie to go through.

IMG_0742_zpsb6c7041f.jpg
Edited by duopkik

this is still not helping my uncomfortable levels of want. Must get on with funding activities

I cant really fault it but it seems odd to have only 2 top adjustmunts for the front shocks. Other than that, cracking!

Edited by A Return

A few stickers on the radio tray.

IMG_0776_zpsa800e892.jpg

Wing and shell stickered up. I am no artist, so I used some old spray cans I had which were all half full but I'm happy with the result.

IMG_0777_zps82302c72.jpg

IMG_0778_zps38149536.jpg

IMG_0779_zpsb32c416e.jpg

IMG_0780-1_zps68ef8bbf.jpg

that looks really good dude, well done 

What are those savox servos like, i hate noisy servos that are continually trying to find centre and buzz all the time (thats why i love my alturn pair, quiet as a mouse) i heard savox are seriously noisy. 

that looks really good dude, well done 

What are those savox servos like, i hate noisy servos that are continually trying to find centre and buzz all the time (thats why i love my alturn pair, quiet as a mouse) i heard savox are seriously noisy. 

Yep, Savox are noisy, noisy but reliable. Very strong pulling power to. Nearly 2 years old now and as you can tell they have seen a lot of abuse.

Just noticed the wheel nuts which are included in the kit are not all the same colour. 2 are a gun metal look and the other 2 are a anodized type colour.

photo125_zps8ee3df44.jpg

hmm, i wonder why, is there any difference in the thread type i wonder?

also, iv just noticed a difference in the new shell shape compared to the last, very angular now compared to the old more round shape. (front window ect)

Edited by creativechris

• 1 month later...

Jesus how'd i miss this build  :doh:

AWESOME build!!

Looking at the 3 is seriously tempting me for another kit build :xd:

So hows the run in off the motor going? its still a very serious contendor for my EU :whistling:

the new 3 does handle slightly better, only noticeable if you are a semi pro racer, if your are an rookie like me whos just getting the hang of the car and just started doing competitive race times you will not notice the difference. 

so if you are just getting into your racing, then the EU is the better car for you as you save a few quid which you can spend on tools and other bits and pieces you may need and, yet still be competitive. 

Its a better car all round. I like the look of it compared to the previous generations. Looks more "premium". But as for drivings concern, the professionals like Adam Drake for example, he will be screaming the benefits of the 3.0, whereas club level wouldn't really notice that much of a difference. It has been doing very well around the world though.

Good build thread. I found the worse bit on my 3.0 was the ruddy brake linkages!! I got it wrong a few times. Doesn't help the instructions are cack though. I see you've already specced it up. Are the hop up parts good prices? as I can't seem to find any prices as of yet. Not to bothered about to much alloy. Plastics lighter and cheaper to replace.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed a few people have replied to my thread so may as well have a little write up and the story so far.

First time out with the new buggy I TQd and won at my local track.

2nd race was the Northern Regionals where I came 6th.

Have done several other race meets now and I am very impressed. So far finished all races. Best result would be the Durka Durka Cancer Research race a few weeks ago which I won Yay!!

My standard setup for droop on my EU was 94mm front and 106mm rear. On my 3.0 my standard droop setup is 102mm front and 112mm rear. A lot more stable at high speeds. Depending on which track I am at will depend whether I use a wickerbill or not.

Also because of the 15 degree caster compared to the 12 degrees on the EU, the buggy is smoother entering turns and added with the extra travel, soaks up the rough bumps whilst cornering with more ease.

Also the Bullitt B219 is very responsive and very fast (obviously) which is why this is my 2nd Bullitt engine.