• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

dodgy MOT,S caution...

jonnotheone

hi guys i  want everyone to be aware of dodgy mot,s i myself have just been subject to a dodgy mot

i brought a car on monday from a dealer who will remain nameless for now only for today to be told by my local garage it is unroadworthy and has been deemed unfit to drive i cant stress enuff to people to check everything however in my haste to get a new car i didnt do the checks i do everytime i buy a new car and have been suckerd in to buying a dodgy car i have contacted vosa who are coming out to inspect the car also have contacted CAB who put me in touch with tradeing standards and also the police as it is a crimmanal offence to sell a unroadworthy car...please find below places you can find the history of the car and dont trust anyone if they say they will put a full 12 months mot on it for you do your reaserch please......

all you need to use this is the reg number and the mot test number...

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

know your rights as a buyer/customer trading standards

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm

know the law road traffic act section 75 1988

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/75

these guys can help you out cab very helpfull

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england.htm

How do you know it's dodgy mate.i bought my st with 12 months mot on it and I found one of the track rod ends worn to buggery.i just replaced it and its been fine since.an mot is only valid on the day it's issued in reality.

ok it went through its mot with no lights on rear numberplate antiroll bar on passenger side beyond use ball joint on drivers side there is extreemly exssesive play..i checked the history of this car and low and behold the same problems faild it on 29th of april 2012 but strangely passed its mot on monday 11/3/2013 with no adviserys i had my local garage check it for me who stated just on the numberplate lights it would fail letalone the ball joint and antirollbar...

How do you know it's dodgy mate.i bought my st with 12 months mot on it and I found one of the track rod ends worn to buggery.i just replaced it and its been fine since.an mot is only valid on the day it's issued in reality.

yep been there, done that, got the t-shirt

the only way to be really sure of what your buying is to get it rac/aa inspector checked

Bought a bike off a 'reputable' dealer many years back...said they would service it and provide 12mths MOT.

When I picked it up, the front tyre was bald all down one side. Walked in to the manager with the fresh MOT in my hand ....

I was fair....I got a brand new set of tyres...but he could quite easily have lost his MOT status for what they hadn't done. As I hadn't actually ridden the bike, they would not have had a leg to stand on. VOSA do not like garages that right out tickets without doing the checks.

yep, a mot is to show that the car is roadworthy at the time its in the testing station only!!!

unless its a dodgy tester......

what are the problems exactly??

no lights actually there is no light socket in the rear numberplate ofs ball joint has extreemly exssesive play nsf antiroll bar is beyond use....vosa has been contacted and are comming to inspect it....

Bought a bike off a 'reputable' dealer many years back...said they would service it and provide 12mths MOT.

When I picked it up, the front tyre was bald all down one side. Walked in to the manager with the fresh MOT in my hand ....

I was fair....I got a brand new set of tyres...but he could quite easily have lost his MOT status for what they hadn't done. As I hadn't actually ridden the bike, they would not have had a leg to stand on. VOSA do not like garages that right out tickets without doing the checks.

i know mate since having the car on monday i have done a total of 35 miles thats 11.6 miles a day and there is no way on this earth the ball joint has gone that quick or the antirollbar has rusted that quick and some how the numberplate lights just jumped out and vannised all in 3 days hmmmppphhhh/...

i nearly bought a car with a dodgey mot aswell it was only passed about a month before i went to see it.

the front anti roll bar holder was broken both sides.

the windscreen had a crack in it on the passengers side.

the headlight on the passengers side was the same.

the bit i found really funny was the back tryes were rubbing the lip on the wheel well as they guy had a lowered it abit and fitted the wrong size tyres afterwards so everytime you go over a bump it hit the tyre and gouged them abit.

the exhaust had the cat removed and it had abit of steel pipe welded in place.

i walked away as fast as i could. but like you say you should always check a car over big time before splashing the cash out

As a trainee mot tester what this guy has done has esentially put your life at risk if it was more serious this car is clearly not roadworthyand it clearly shouldnt be theyre if any of this ever caises a crash he will most likely get away with it and youll be put at blame but youve clearly caught them in the act I wouldnt like my car to be in aany unroadworthy condition

When are VOSA coming out pal ?

An Mot test is valid for 3 months mechanical and 6 months for corrosion. If a component or load bearing member could potentially fail within that period of time then it should be advised. Although that said. The garage in question here are obviously in the wrong and will be dealt with accordingly. They will feel the wrath.

Edited by Strada xt

As a trainee mot tester what this guy has done has esentially put your life at risk if it was more serious this car is clearly not roadworthyand it clearly shouldnt be theyre if any of this ever caises a crash he will most likely get away with it and youll be put at blame but youve clearly caught them in the act I wouldnt like my car to be in aany unroadworthy condition

When are VOSA coming out pal ?

VOSA are going to contact me in the next day or two hopefully i dont know as iv never had this happen to me before...

Sounds like the perverbiable is going to hit the fan at the garage.if its failed before for the same reason and its failed again they don't have much to say.prob lose his mot licence which will hit hard as its easy money for them.just glad you spotted it before anything serious happened.

buddy im glad i spotted it i have 2 young children i take in the car...the thing is it didnt fail on the things i spotted they passed it im not a trainned mechanic but i do know abit when it comes to cars and the first instance i drove it i knew summin was up and contacted the dealer who ignored me only to get a call of him acusing me of thretaning him when all i said was theres something wrong with the car i want it looked at or i want my money back an i got you aint having your money back dont work like that he said i was shocked so i contacted trading standards vosa and the police altho the police were about as useful as a chocolat tea pot lol...all i want is my money back it is my leagal right to be refunded if im not happy with the good recived...

An Mot test is valid for 3 months mechanical and 6 months for corrosion. If a component or load bearing member could potentially fail within that period of time then it should be advised. Although that said. The garage in question here are obviously in the wrong and will be dealt with accordingly. They will feel the wrath.

its deffantly a load bearing member its the ofs lower ball joint eaning its holding my wheel on...if that is the case what you say there then surely its up to the garrage that passed it to put it all right im asuming this as i have no idea.......

Load bearing member as in chassis components, chassis rails, Sills etc. The ball joint is a mechanical component

Anyway, splitting hairs. You bought a car in good faith with 12 months mot that obviously shouldnt have an mot receipt issued. Out of curiosity what car is it? I belive trading standards call it sale of goods act of 1974 " fit for purpose " and it isnt. End of really.

Regards buying cars from motor trade & there warranty on anythink you are cover'd by trading standards for 12mths even if garage gave you non or 3mths etc. a trader is only cover'd if they sell cars as spares only an with no tax or mot even if has any an car has to be took away on full lift or trailer . if they sell a car that is drove off there pitch with a wks mot or tax then you got them by the $$lls. it won't tell you this on there site i know this because my mate deals with them alot hes got a huge pitch an works with the t/standards they send people to him to buy cars who they have helped get there money back from other traders lol . hence his family have been trading for 50+ yrs . you now know why most main dealers send there cars to the block its not worth the head ache for them... good luck sorting this you will get a full refunds plus your time an any other expenses you have lost or you settle it where the guy pays for re-test with where you took it to an costs for repairs etc , do not let the garage test or repair where it was 1st moted even if vosa make them fight your corner with them too :thumbsup: say you don't trust them.

Load bearing member as in chassis components, chassis rails, Sills etc. The ball joint is a mechanical component

Anyway, splitting hairs. You bought a car in good faith with 12 months mot that obviously shouldnt have an mot receipt issued. Out of curiosity what car is it? I belive trading standards call it sale of goods act of 1974 " fit for purpose " and it isnt. End of really.

its a citroen xsara 98 hatchback.....

Ok guys a quick update vosa have been in touch car will be tested thursday got alittle light in my tunnel it will not loose its current mot when it gets tested as they cant revoke current mot they are testing to see if it should of past in the first place and to see the severty of dammaged parts they have invited the other garage to attend so they can observe..i so hope it goes my way

Yes yes yes i won the dealer is picking it up tomorow and getting my money back wow a huge weight has been lifted.....

Will the garage be penalised in anyway?

They picked it up yet mate ?

They should loose theyre mot license but may get away with a good warning

yeh picked it up got abuse off the pegleg dwaf but i got my moneh back car has gone im not sure what vosa will do but im pretty sure ill be making sure everybody knows who he is Ok guys i can now revele who sold me a dodgy car the dealer is a man called glyn jenkins of ideal motors do not buy a car of this man he will rip you off and sell you dodgy cars with fake mot,s.and if you see an r reg citroen xsara green 1.4 forsale dont buy it its a dodgy mot pass...

Ok guys i can now revele who sold me a dodgy car the dealer is a man called glyn jenkins of ideal motors do not buy a car of this man he will rip you off and sell you dodgy cars with fake mot,s.and if you see an r reg citroen xsara green 1.4 forsale dont buy it its a dodgy mot pass...based in andover aldo martins of andover did the mot...