• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder tiger st1 truggy, anyone else

Honestly once it's run in, those engines pull like a train, and run well.

The way I prime is just get fuel to carb, pull once more, then put the glow on and try to fire it.

Have you sealed the engine yet?

I sealed my mta engine a month or two ago. It has been much easier to start since then. that's either me getting better at starting, or it is genuinely easier. Seems more predictable in the tune too.

I have an ST-1 in my garage to either keep nitro or convert. another one of my modelzone special deals  :whistling:  It has two small scratches on the bottom of the chassis where it looks like it was held down to start. and an engine with broken conrod. that's it. mint otherwise. I have the replacement conrod to fix the engine too. Given your difficulty starting it... I'm not surprised someone bought from MZ, failed to start then took it back. they weren't the best place for nitro knowledge... I have the ST-1 RC monster mount in packet as I intended to convert it straight off. Hasn't happened -bought a hyper st instead (yes, got sidetracked!). Given the ST4 and all the other derivatives of the ST-1 they must be reasonably easy to keep going.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread - the wondertiger forum. See: http://forums.wondertiger.com/viewforum.php?f=23

I bet the diffs are the same as the mta and the team associated truggies too. Anyone know how many parts will swap out for team associated rc8t ones? I bet they're the same - same company, same scale.

Edit: stopped being lazy: http://forums.wondertiger.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=851 suggests that the rc8t,st-1, mt4 and related models all use same diffs. so at least some parts are the same.

The rtr wheels are a bit hard to get off though aren't they? Very small recess that the nut is in. I don't have a 17mm socket that I can actually get in there to get the wheels off at all. Any tips?! They need to go - too much chrome...

Edited by jari

Take the carb off, put some sealant around the neck on the crankcase, put the carb back on.

Take the back plate off and seal that as well, and bolt it back up with thread lock.

Put a glob of sealant over both sides of the carb pinch bolt as well

You could also take the needles out the carb and put some associated green slime on the orings to.

It takes a bit of time, and you should completely clean the engine first, but the engines run so much better, all nitros.

Ok ta, I've found a guide, I'll pop to halfords later, just found an old gift card, hope it's still in date!

It was early in the morning! Looking at the question now it seems stupid lol.

I wonder if Apex sell the green slime?

Edit, yes they do,

Edited by Bigjimknickers

Ok, I have brake/clutch cleaner, green slime & high temp black loctite gasket oil resist sealant ready to sort this engine tomorrow & a new pullstart coming too, so I take it I note the turns on the carb needles hsn & lsn, I think I'll put them back a little leaner as I don't want to blow another plug straight away, as this is getting costly now!

Pro 28 factory (rich settings)

HSN 2 & 3/4 turns out

LSN 6 1/2 turns out

As it's broken in now shall I try

Hsn 2.5 turns

Lsn 6.25 turns?

Righto,

Just stripped engine down, this 28 pro engine had a nice set of o rings inside the back plate & carb so I'm not too sure it was worth my while sealing it, Lets hope the additional seal will help, I used loctite premium black silicone hp, I also slimed the carb needle HSN this was 3.25 turns out, this seems very very rich even compared to factory settings? I hope I have the right info, so I set them as

HSN 2.75 turns out

LSN not touched yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Took my ST-1 out today for its first proper woods bash, gotta say I really like this truck! It handled our little track brilliantly, done 3 tanks before my tyres came unglued & my belly called for a hotdog, so we stopped & headed off, but it's all glued back up now & ready to go again!

Annoyed with myself as I stupidly tried to start it with the shell on & cracked the shell on the wheel arch! Grr.

But aside from that it was great fun! I like this 4.6cc engine, loads of torque!

Ok, I have brake/clutch cleaner, green slime & high temp black loctite gasket oil resist sealant ready to sort this engine tomorrow & a new pullstart coming too, so I take it I note the turns on the carb needles hsn & lsn, I think I'll put them back a little leaner as I don't want to blow another plug straight away, as this is getting costly now!

Pro 28 factory (rich settings)

HSN 2 & 3/4 turns out

LSN 6 1/2 turns out

As it's broken in now shall I try

Hsn 2.5 turns

Lsn 6.25 turns?

Danger Will Robinson, danger!

6.25 turns out on the st-1 engine on the LSN is I believe wrong.

I have the mta4 - the same engine, the .28 pro. It was very difficult to start, didn't idle and only really got going once warmed up. 

I read around and it seems there was a typo in the manual from the factory. 6  1/2 turns on LSN is just plain wrong. It should be 0.4mm from flush with the barrel of the carb, or in my case approx 4 turns out... 

I tried changing it radically at the weekend - truck was being a pig to start, and peeing fuel out of the exhaust when cold. Wouldn't rev at all. I wondered whether it meant "6 half turns" rather than "6 and a half turns..."...  So i changed it. richened up the HSN. It started and idled very easily, and after a whole tank temps were still down at 60C.

Once you know it is so far wrong on factory settings it becomes much easier to tune:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/6494326-thunder-tiger-28-pro-ajustments-tuning.html

http://www.rcindia.org/cars/needle-settings/?action=printpage

Makes a big difference - otherwise you end up trying to compensate with the HSN as I was... and then end up with HSN too lean to cover for the very, very rich LSN.

I'm not saying that 3 turns on LSN is right - but that the factory 6.5 is wrong. and changing it in 1/8th increments means you never find it...! 

Great truggys to bash around with. Got the 4.6 dialled in nicely then?Talking of shells, anyone know any other shells that will fit this?

Well I got it to fire straight ftom cold yesterday, ticked over, nice bit of blue smoke still from pipe under revs, so I'd say yes it's pretty tuned, probably some fine tuning someone better than me could do but I'm happy with it for now.

& yes, I totally agree the 6.25 on the LSN is way to rich, I can't remember what mine is, but I know it's not that!

Well I got it to fire straight ftom cold yesterday, ticked over, nice bit of blue smoke still from pipe under revs, so I'd say yes it's pretty tuned, probably some fine tuning someone better than me could do but I'm happy with it for now.

& yes, I totally agree the 6.25 on the LSN is way to rich, I can't remember what mine is, but I know it's not that!

Good.

It was really confusing for me as a beginner. You get consistent advice telling you to change the LSN in very small steps... on pain of death and "bad things will happen, your engine will melt" if you change too quickly. Really, if you start nearly two turns out, which beginner is going to go through 10- 15 adjustments on the LSN without doubting what they are doing? 

I actually wonder how much that typo in the manual had to do with sales of the MTA. 

After checking this thread I see I don't think I touched the factory LSN so that must be why I can still start it, I never did try the 6.25 turns luckily!!

As for the wheels, I cut up the multi tool that I got with it as the 17mm fit it but didn't go deep enough with all four sides on it, so I cut all four off & now it's just a st-1 wheel too!

I'll take a pic later, but yea, there on my list to change, wheels & tyres are so dear though arnt they? I'm thinking of treating it to some badlands, if it behaves!

After reading the manual carefully I can see that the LSN says 6 HALF turns out, not 6 & a half, it's very easy to mis read this, I did but luckily never adjusted mine yet.

I need to fine tune mine in a wide open space to see the smoke & adjust the LSN & tickover is a wee bit high, but other than that it ran great yesterday! I got some big air with it too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Thought I'd bump the ST-1 thread, my baja being rebuilt my savage flux is for sale so is the savage xs, so the only car I had today was the ST-1, went & dug it out of the shed, charged up the life RX pack & the lipo glo starter, while that charged I figured I'd start it up before I take it anywhere as its not been used for months. Put some new fuel in it, I've changed to race 25% optifuel now so I didn't expect it to run as I've been using Byron's 25% race, it started straight away!

It ran pretty smokey but tbh I was just happy it ran! I'll mess about with the tuning later, so I put the RX pack in an took it to Oxshott for a bash, got there an it started straight away, warmed it up & it absolutely screamed about! Really was a pleasure to drive & makes you realise why your in the hobby when you have days like this.

Anyway figured I'd bump this thread on this underrated truck!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...