• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone from the West Sussex area?

JoeGT

Is there any people on here from around the west Sussex area? I'm based near Arundel.

Was just wondering if theres any good spots to take a nitro rally car around this area?

Hi Joe, I am. I live in Climping just down the road from you!

There are quite a few about, Slindon woods just down the road from you is a good place. I have been up to Halnaker, airfield near me at ford for speed runs etc and quite a few other areas.

There is also a track over at Adur near Stenying: adurrc.org - I haven't been there yet as its a bit far.

Hi Joe, I am. I live in Climping just down the road from you!

There are quite a few about, Slindon woods just down the road from you is a good place. I have been up to Halnaker, airfield near me at ford for speed runs etc and quite a few other areas.

There is also a track over at Adur near Stenying: adurrc.org - I haven't been there yet as its a bit far.

Hello!, thats interesting. I'm actually in Middleton so literally only down the road. I was up ford airfield Saturday and Sunday running in my new car. I have seen someone down there running a nitro car a couple of times before. It might well of been you. They were parked at the gates near the water treatment place, that also leads down to the recycling plant.

My brother suggested Slindon woods to me. I might have to go down there and have a look one weekend. Are you talking about the bit where you come off the 27 near fontwell to head upto Bury Hill? Just after coming off the roundabout theres a left hand turning and a small car park down there. Obviously as its only a 1/8th scale car its not going to handle terrain as rough as what a buggy or truck could go over but I think it'll be good on fairly rough terrain.

have a look at the adur track in shorham buddy http://www.adurrc.org/

I have looked at that a couple of times and it does look good. How are the arrangements down there?. I don't really want to take place in full blown racing yet, would just be nice to have a track to have a good blast around.

Thanks for the info lads.

Ah, I go to Middleton Chinese almost fortnightly, not used the Indian for a while though! :D

I live opposite ford airfield to the side so I walk across the road. With Slindon i meant the pits, sorry, woods are ok though but not much room. With the pits you can park top or bottom and walk in, I haven't been for a while as I went up Halnaker, but I need to check it out again soon when the weather isn't as wet! You can park along a27 out front of the old oaks restaurant near the hilton and wak across and in to the woods/pits. There is another person who I spoke to in the Sussex Bashers group (that Chrisknights (above) runs) who lives in Ford, but not seen him about yet. I saw someone over Yapton park when I took my brushless out that had a nitro, but not seen since.

I expect I will see you about - ill be out Saturday if weather holds up, either at ford airfield near west entrance to airfield or maybe pits if its dry.

Haha yeah I'm only about a 3 min drive from the chinese.

I know where you mean. Up on the bank the same side as the prison. Funny you should say that about Slindon pits, I've been looking at this http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.857165&lon=-0.610347&z=17.4&r=0&src=msl I presume this is where you mean? That looks awesome. I'm definately going to have to check that out.

I'd join you but unfortunately I have plans for Saturday :( I arranged to do something ages ago and now wish I hadn't. I'd rather take my new car out tbh! Hopefully sunday will be alright weather wise.

The pits look amazing, but as you say I wouldn't much fancy it if its boggy lol. Whats it like in there? do you get any hassle? many people around?.

Haha yeah I'm only about a 3 min drive from the chinese.

I know where you mean. Up on the bank the same side as the prison. Funny you should say that about Slindon pits, I've been looking at this http://www.flasheart...7.4&r=0&src=msl I presume this is where you mean? That looks awesome. I'm definately going to have to check that out.

I'd join you but unfortunately I have plans for Saturday :( I arranged to do something ages ago and now wish I hadn't. I'd rather take my new car out tbh! Hopefully sunday will be alright weather wise.

The pits look amazing, but as you say I wouldn't much fancy it if its boggy lol. Whats it like in there? do you get any hassle? many people around?.

Almost got where I live, but its before the prison down Horsemere Green Lane closer to The Oystercatcher.

Pits are awesome and yes, that is it. It's often quiet and its a big area, mountain bikers, etc all use it, never have hassle.

I haven't been there for a while, I'll let you know if I get down there weather permitting. I haven't taken my monster truck out yet this year, been using my SCT mainly.

There are a few more places around, there are a few of us bashers in a relatively small area so we'll have to try and sort something out locally. Person I spoke to before who goes down the pits at Slindon is clearing it up in an area, we should all try and use that for now.

I know where you mean.

Yeah keep me updated on that. I'll be out Sunday weather permitting, might even check out the pits for myself. Still need to slightly tune my car, and then I'll actually get it dirty! lol.

Thats the trouble, being brand new and shiny. I'm a bit reluctant to Just get it out in the dirt for the first time after that it'll be fine lol.

Small world indeed ... I'm over in Ford myself and use the pits almost every weekend. Got a small club of us going down there often and are building a short course/rally styled track in a clearing. The more the merrier guys ...

• 11 months later...

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post. I'm from Pulborough, just the other side of the downs to Arundel. 

The pit at Slindon looks like great fun, exactly the sort of place I've been looking for. Does it draw much attention or are you generally left to your own devices? I'm running an electric Axial EXO so nothing mega noisy. 

Took it down to Littlehampton dunes the other week which was perfect terrain but just too many people around.  

Yeah definitely would be a good laugh with a few more cars.

When you say you couldn't stay was that because someone went off on one about it?

One of the reason I stayed with electric was because a lot of people at the spots I use would get upset at nitro/petrol cars.

Yeah definitely would be a good laugh with a few more cars.

When you say you couldn't stay was that because someone went off on one about it?

One of the reason I stayed with electric was because a lot of people at the spots I use would get upset at nitro/petrol cars.

It is used by a 4x4 events company, I mistakenly asked him before one of the others on here and he said no - they use it all the time and we wouldn't be able.  RC Freaks on here got the OK from the owner of the land that rents out the 4x4 area I think.

I was to go down and see the other guys but on the couple of times I've tried no one was there.

Ahh that's a bummer. I guess if the landowner agrees though it should be ok. Would just have to try not to get squashed by the 4x4's haha. 

Hopefully RC Freaks can confirm if he still uses it or not. If he does we should organise a meet down there. I was going to have a look this Saturday but will have to come up with a backup plan.

Thanks for the heads up JoeGT, I'll have to find somewhere else to have a play. I'm going to try and find the chalk pit near Amberley (Not the museum one haha) I've heard about as that would be a good crack.

Do you know of any other good off road areas? Somewhere with some jumps or drop offs?

Be good to get some people together and do some point to point racing. Just need a fairly big open area.   

What about Halnaker Windmill?

Look south of the track road - paths highlighted off this page: https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure/explore_west_sussex/wildlife_and_landscape/countryside_and_wildlife/places_to_visit/halnaker_windmill.aspx

To find Halnaker Windmill, launch our interactive iMap (http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/lvmaps/imap.html), select 'British National Grid' from the search menu and enter  SU920096 into the search box (top left).

You can see the chalk pit here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview/search/halnaker+windmill/@50.8723521,-0.6921643,914m/data=!3m1!1e3

Oh yeah, that looks good. It has public access all around so easy to get in to and if someone came to have a go could always use the excuse "Sorry I was looking for the windmill and stumbled in here by mistake, with my RC car" haha. All they can do is move you on I suppose. 

Will add that to my list. Thanks Didski.

• 6 years later...
On 18/07/2020 at 10:45, joe grinstead said:

Haha this is a real old thread but was looking for people who had used halnaker pit as had a great time there yesterday. Quite a few of us here haha

I’m in angmering and went up to Slindon Woods with my boy a few weekends back. I found what I thought was the entrance to the pit but said private property and turns out I was in the wrong place as I was trying to get in here!

C0D885A5-5082-43E3-A40C-246D1B9C78E9.thumb.jpeg.efcbb5e0fc8345ed738535d4256a8cf3.jpeg

Edited by Bix

21 minutes ago, Bix said:

I’m in angmering and went up to Slindon Woods with my boy a few weekends back. I found what I thought was the entrance to the pit but said private property and turns out I was in the wrong place as I was trying to get in here!

C0D885A5-5082-43E3-A40C-246D1B9C78E9.thumb.jpeg.efcbb5e0fc8345ed738535d4256a8cf3.jpeg

Yeah man, thats Slindon pit. Still more people there. You can get into halnaker pit Real easy and no one around. Also its a motocross track so great for us haha. Shout me on here if ya wanna meet up there man. What ya runnin? 

• Like 1

I’m in Barnham now but the pits at Slindon are definitely not available for us to use!

Halnaker windmill is fine or you can use Slindon Woods - there is a section with jumps and even an area that works like a track, but you have to be careful of the mountain bikes. 

• Like 1

@joe grinsteadMe and my boy have just recently changed bashers so I’ve got a Maxx I run on 4S and my boy has a Slash 4x4 he runs on 3S. To be honest we both got more into crawlers as we got bored of flat fields, skate parks or bmx tracks (when you can actually used them of course!) so looking forward to trying this place out. Might make us wanna invest in more bashers again 😜 we had 3 each once upon a time 

Edited by Bix

@Didski we pretty much followed this route when we went there, spotted a few jumps but most were overgrown 😕 should we try a different area next time as we we’re thinking of  exploring the rest.

FC13B40A-3022-439B-B424-CD45762731FE.thumb.jpeg.db577f0060c80907c4d66b7048199329.jpeg