• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

North West newbie

VulcanAndy89

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Andy and I've recently become fascinated by the hobby grade world of RC. I have had many toy grade cars over the years and thought I should give this a bash, so I'm completely new to the hobby.

I'm on the verge of buying my first truck. I'm after something robust, low maintenance, electric and brushless. All I want to do is bash and have fun. After a fair bit of research, I've settled on a Traxxas Slash VXL 2WD - I hope that's a good first choice.

I would very much like to find out when and where everyone meets up to bash, so when I've got my new toy, I can come and join in the fun.

I started back into the hobby 7 months ago by getting a Tamiya Sand Rover like I had when I was a kid. 1 month later I got a slash. No I have the sand rover (which sits on the shelf) a Traxxas Rustler based Baja Bug, a Slash (which is getting a custom body) and an AXIAL EXO (which I won in a competition) which I'm just starting to build. The Slash is a great vehicle, is it perfect - no - but what is? :) Most important thing is have fun.

We meet up anywhere we can really bud, mainly at the off road area before 3 sisters track on the left hand side, keep a check on the 3sisters bash thread or the other threads in the north west bashers section.

The rustlers a good starting point, it's not the best but not the worst, it's very fast, and parts are cheap and easy to get :)

We meet up anywhere we can really bud, mainly at the off road area before 3 sisters track on the left hand side, keep a check on the 3sisters bash thread or the other threads in the north west bashers section.

The rustlers a good starting point, it's not the best but not the worst, it's very fast, and parts are cheap and easy to get :)

Pat he said a 2wd slash hahahahahaha

Been on them brownies again?

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Andy and I've recently become fascinated by the hobby grade world of RC. I have had many toy grade cars over the years and thought I should give this a bash, so I'm completely new to the hobby.

I'm on the verge of buying my first truck. I'm after something robust, low maintenance, electric and brushless. All I want to do is bash and have fun. After a fair bit of research, I've settled on a Traxxas Slash VXL 2WD - I hope that's a good first choice.

I would very much like to find out when and where everyone meets up to bash, so when I've got my new toy, I can come and join in the fun.

hi mate and welcome.. i had a rustler to start with and found that 2wd was ok but soon got fed up with it, i then got a 4wd 1/8 buggy which was/ is miles better on all surfaces, if your going for a slash (no pun intended) i'd save a bit more and go for the 4x4 or even get a 1/8 nitro buggy and then convert it to leccy if you don't like the nitro, you'll be able to get plenty of tip's/advice off the forum to be able to do this. hope this helps, peraps see you at a meet sometime :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses and the advice everyone. I will keep an eye on the threads for any meet ups.

It's a really hard decision to make. I thought the 2wd would be better for me as it has less maintenance and in a lot of discussions I read about it, more durable. I did seriously consider the 4x4 though, but I read about it being a pain to maintain and small stones getting stuck in the drive shafts and gears etc. This started to put me off a bit, but would there be any aftermarket mods to protect these parts? Any advice please?

There's not much extra maintenance involved with a 4wd and if your planning on running off road it's a lot better traction wise :)

Check this baby out

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/thunder-tiger-st4-g3-brushless-truggy-blue-black/rc-car-products/370441

There's also a buggy or monster truck version, all reports suggest their incredibly tough and you honestly won't have many problems with stones in drive train etc whatever car you get, most if not all cars have exposed gears or shafts, most elec cars have pinions and spur gears barely covered and stone damage isn't really a problem.

• Like 1

I'm not really a fan of truggies mate get your self a hyper 7 roller and there is a gent called daveleebond who can tell you what you need to convert it they are very tough and bendy, I have a nitro one and I love it.

Edited by the bull

Thanks again for the advice guys. I would prefer electric as I'm a complete beginner. The 1/8 scale ones do look nice, but I honestly prefer the look of the Slash. However, I will go with The Technician's suggestion of the 4x4 purely because of the better traction on the different surfaces I plan to drive it on, and I have no plans to go racing with it, only to have fun. Plus the knowledge I will be able to ask for tips and advice here on how to maintain and/or modify it.

Believe me, some of my questions are probably going to sound really stupid, as I will be completely clueless. Guess I've got to start somewhere though.

I'll be paying a visit to my LHS soon, so I'll get back to you all when I've got my truck.

Edited by VulcanAndy89
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Basically im new & want to get into this sport and so I purchased a nitro RC car, set it up got it running, played around with the electrics and got them sorted. just need a new shell for it but got no idea about the technicalities ect in Rc cars.
so help would be appriciated?
Here are some quick pics if you can tell me....Anything will help
http://imgur.com/a/IfzBE#1
Make
Model?
scale?
what shell will fit?
Best fuel to run it on?
ECT...Anything will help
Cheers!! :thumbsup:

Yoo, From North West (Inbetween Wigan & LiverpooL)
Were ready to come to some meets, Any coming up soon?
were only new to this and could do with some help identifying this.........
, anyone got an idea what is it?,..............l4QSHjH.jpg

looks like a rally/touring car of some sort maybe a hpi rs4 or a tamiya without a front bumper? dont hold me to this but alot of the touring/rally cars are 200mm shells which are common as muck mate.

is this it??   http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=63242&sid=1274

looks like your missing body mounts? and a servo? nowt like jumping in at the deep end!!

Edited by bobby288

You've got more chance starting a thread asking people to identify it in the general Rc section :)

You'll get lots more views and replies,

hopefully there will be meets going on soon around Manchester/Liverpool/Wigan areas just keep an eye on the threads in this section, where a good friendly bunch and everyone's welcome :D

Hi everyone.

The Techincian, I have run it a few times now, twice on tarmac and twice on short grass with a small mound to do some jumps. I'm astonished with the power it has!  I've just had it out today and got it seriously muddy, rolled it a few times and crashed it twice (whoops). It's still in one piece, and I spent ages cleaning it. I think it's an awesome piece of kit.

Am now on the lookout for a protective overtray and/or undertray to help keep debris from getting inside. My main concern is dirt getting into the prop shaft and working its way into the slipper clutch. Would anyone here know how I can get my hands on these?

Andy

Thanks for the link. I reckon I'll go with one of those, as that should protect the exposed entry into the prop shaft. I'm not on ebay, so looks like I'll be paying a visit to my LHS.

Soon I may look out for some upgraded off road tyres as it was a challenge to keep it in a straight line going flat out, and maybe stronger nerf bars all round. 

Scratch what I've just said in my last post, I've just seen a review of the ProLine undertray and it wasn't good, so am having second thoughts. Am considering having a go at fabricating one from scratch, that way I'll get exactly what I want.

I might try one of the jconcepts overtrays to protect the electronics as they look good, but I guess I'll need some form of cooling in there too.