• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Smash imaging/FPV quad build

smash

Crikey, long time no updates.. Finally I have some escs to use, rctimer 20a simonk flashed jobbies, I have no experience of simonk flashed speed controllers so this is all new to me, only one hitch at the moment is that I forgot about bullet connectors so I had to order a handful today so technically the build is still at a standstill :( so much for the 6 p's ;) here are some pics not much progressrybaze2e.jpgnu5upaby.jpg

There is no me in team..

No long now and she'll be whizzing around like mad bee i'm sure
I'm in no rush ;) good job really as I've waited long enough so far.. Anyhow had a few minutes spare so I used the bullets I had to sort out two of the escs. Had to extend the main power wires on these as they were a couple of inches to short because of my power distribution board being further forward than is usual.

Here is how I did it for those that haven't done it before, pretty simple really, not sure if it's the method of choice but it's simple and quick, just the way I like it..

First off I nip the tinned ends of the esc wire and bare them back a few mm, then I bare back :) the extensions.

After that I dip the ends of the wires in flux paste and directly push the ends of the wire together so they kind of mesh with each other.

Tin the iron and add a little solder then gently press the iron to the joint, as the solder begins to flow into the joint I feed a small amount more in then allow to cool and heat shrink over the join, nice and tidy and less weighty than using up expensive bullets..

Pics

a8u8uga3.jpgava9ysar.jpg3y7y4uma.jpg8eregahe.jpgne5usa9u.jpg

There is no me in team..

Looking good smash :-)

Gonna get onto a build myself but not a clue on what I'll need or were to even start :-(

Oh think I need to start with a Tx and Rx from hobbyking ( orange ones )

Thats all I know upto now :-/

Edited by hebby
  • Like 1

Ha ha as predicted earlier in the thread my hobbywing quattro esc turned up to day so now I'm gonna install that instead of the simonk flashed rctimers.. Pics after tea, hopefully I'll get the gimbal mounted tonight..

There is no me in team..

Stuffed up when I edited the post so thanks for the like outlaw, the updated post is below with some video links included for illustration.

Edited by smash
  • Like 1

Yeah mate that was a weird coincidence eh.. Anyhow hers a small but important update.

I've fitted the esc and the gimbal everything wired up apart from the bec because I'm waiting on a parallel xt60 connector so I can piggyback everything of the same lipo..

Have done all the preflight calibration and set up the gimbal, so I'll document how the gimbal is set up in the board for those that may want to try it in the future..

The last 2 output channels no. 7 and 8 are used to send the giro data to the servos for stabilised videography and it's all very easy to set up.

When you first plug the power source in the servos will centre as usual, if the cradle is not level when the servos centre then take the arm's of and re position to get them near as dammit by eye..

To do the adjustment you will need to hop in and out of the camera stab menu a few times and here are the setting that worked for me..

Here's a pretty decent vid showing the steps..

In order to test the speed and throw of the servos the motors need to be running so no props should be attached when performing these settings

Roll gain is the speed at which the roll servo compensates from the giro.

The same goes for the pitch gain, the roll and pitch offset values are used to centre the gimbal both ways kind of like sub trim..

So here are the numbers

Roll gain 400

Roll offset 55

Pitch gain 700

Pitch offset 52

I nearly for got to mention that I have used 3m foam to mount the gimbal plate and the roll servo to the plate, this method is recomendeed on rcgroups and is documented in on YouTube here.. The guy has quite a few informative vids on his channel so check him out..

Heres some pics of the progress, obviously the spaghetti will get tidied and locked down before maiden.. ;)

myzebabe.jpgpa5ata5u.jpg

Small edit:

Cables tidied and zip tied, reciever and bec mounted by fc with esc pads. Ready yo have the lid put on and given a shakedown, just got to balance some props tomorrow afternoon and I'll throw a pack at her provided the parallel adapter makes an appearance.. Pic below

2anejeve.jpg

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

Ha ha you've gotta love ebay, sometimes it goes wrong and you are pulling your hair out other times it goes wrong and you can have a little grin.. This is a grin moment :) ordered a xt60 parallel adapter for hooking up my bec, cheap item 3.95, they sent a six way xt60 charging board with balance ports.. Don't mind if I do..

byzugy9u.jpg

Now i need to sort an adapter though so it looks like I won't be flight testing the quad this weekend..

There is no me in team..

Cheers buddy I've got shed loads of connector just too lazy and time poor to drive to the lhs to get some wire to make one but my hand has been forced now so it's off to anglia models in the morning :)

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

In your face unreliable but generous ebay sellers my mad skills know no bounds.. ;)

My soldering skills do however.. cough...

he2ave7u.jpg

There is no me in team..

lol

connectors, gah knew i forgot something.

what the popular connector these days on batterys and likes ?

take it deans went out with the dinosaurs ?

no deans is still a popular connector I've switched to xt60 because the are pretty cheap from hk and most of their small capacity packs come with them pre fitted, also they are marginally easier to solder on larger gauge wire.. That said I do like them a lot more than deans as imho they are easier to plug in and unplug..

There is no me in team..

no deans is still a popular connector I've switched to xt60 because the are pretty cheap from hk and most of their small capacity packs come with them pre fitted, also they are marginally easier to solder on larger gauge wire.. That said I do like them a lot more than deans as imho they are easier to plug in and unplug..

There is no me in team..

so these xt60 are somewhat cold finger proof unlike the deans,

they used to stick like hell. balance plugs on batterys these all generic ?

like J-st , making sure cover all areas before looking at charger next.

so these xt60 are somewhat cold finger proof unlike the deans,

they used to stick like hell. balance plugs on batterys these all generic ?

like J-st , making sure cover all areas before looking at charger next.

yeah they definitely have better grip and a slightly larger profile.. Yep pretty much all lipos have the same balance plugs.

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

In all the weekends excitement I forgot to show you all what she looks like with the lid on..

Here you are thenyze3a8eh.jpgzupadunu.jpg

Also I had a senior moment today and blew up the hobbywing quattro in my f450, clearly I need to concentrate more when soldering connectors onto my lipos, spose it's karma for the freebie charging board ;) luckily I have the rctimer numbers to use..

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash
  • Like 1

Yeah total schoolboy error.. not the first time and surely not the last, dismantled it afterward and it was toast, charred fets etc, cannibalised all the cables of of it and threw it in the bin..

There is no me in team..

Rather than clutter up carltons mini quad thread which I'm sure some of you have seen I'm gonna slide these couple of shots in here, went for a bit of flight time the weekend with carlton and was showboating a bit doing some flips with my f450, clearly my ambition outstrips my ability at present and the upshot can be seen in the pic belowetybu3e3.jpg

Anyhow the I've fixed her up now and put a kk2.0 in her and I have to say for any of you thinking of getting this board is do it, I wish I knew at the beginning what I know now, this board is so easy to set up, I take my hat off to enginerds and boffins that created it because I'm at a loss to explain just how good value for money I feel it is..

Here she is slightly re jigged with a kk2.0 and rctimer simonk flashed escs (I smoked the hobbywing quattro ;) because I'm an idiot)

Also I hacked the ends of the skids off because one got bent in the initial crash and I've gone for a 9x4.5 prop this time to see how much more nimble she feels..

e4ybuza4.jpg

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

looking good again, i think the battery underneath will make it more stable.

Shame you fried the quad esc it looked real nice, they could do with some reverse polarity protection on it. lol.

Is that a camera i see mounted on the front?

Yeah it's the wing cam I was telling you about, gonna give it a blast this weekend if I have time and the weather is fair, that's the smaller of the two I have it does 720p at 30fps so it should give a decent quality vid..

There is no me in team..