• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Smash imaging/FPV quad build

smash

This is a place holder for when my build starts..

I've got a go pro in the post from the for sales section and I'm going to build a quad specifically for video/FPV

I've ordered the rest of the parts and the build will be based around the kk2.0 board and the mf locust quad frame with 2 axis giro/servo stabilised gimbal..

More to follow as parts arrive. ;)

Just as an FYI and for those interested here is the list of parts for the build and their cost

Go cam

Edited by smash

Had a good day for deliveries today, 4x motors, kk2.0, all the Sundries ( and a sheet of 3mm lexan to make a clear guard for the flight board.. Just need the frame, esc and the reciever and the build is a go.. Btw the sunny sky motors appear to be excellent quality from a build perspective ;)

There is no me in team..

looking good smash.

dont know what to do with mine, leave it as a quad or FPV it.

but i know i will want to take risks and will in

no doubt end up close proximity flying.

am also looking at the F330 as a hotswap quad. where i can quickly drop the controller out and fpv stuff and shove it onto/into a wing

or an agile Ask 21

Cheers buddy, plan is to fly the 450 I have til I've finished the build, which I think will be a month or two because of work/family commitments by which time I should have put enough sim time and real hours to fly it with enough finesse not to smash it to pieces, the i86 board from the other 450 Is then gonna be transplanted into my bixler 2 as a flight stabiliser for some fixed wing aerial video fun.. I'll probably hang on to the 450 frame and motors for spares.. Hopefully the rest of the gear is just a few weeks away sometimes it takes a month for gear to arrive but that's ultimately the price you pay for being a cheap skate ;)

There is no me in team..

Yeah mate, frame and esc and receivers then I'm sorted reckon it could be up to a fortnight away, no big deal though it's proper wind here on the coast so flying is a no go anyhow..

There is no me in team..

Woop, receivers and frame arrived today, and will throw some pics up on the first page later, esc is the missing link, fingers crossed for a pre weekend delivery so the build can start in earnest :)

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

Upped a couple of pics not the greatest quality but they'll do for starters, quite pleased with the frame, the quality is much better than I expected for the money, it's got the same dji clone arms as my other 450 and the finish on the fibreglass plates is good also.. Also there are 2 other little bits that I didn't mention in the first post which is a lost plane buzzer and and a lipo alarm.. Oh yeah I almost forgot.. I ordered some carbon fibre 1045 props from rc timer but they won't be getting fitted until I'm totally comfortable flying it and I've weighed up and perfected the weight distribution and tuned the board, I've got a bunch of gem fan props for the build and tune phase..

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

Loving the frame is it a dead cat copy ?? motors look a nice bit of kit and i cant wait to see the gimbal all mounted up .. Are you using a Go Pro 2 or the new version ?? been looking for one myself i thought seeing the new version 3 was out i would have a choice of cheap ones on the bay but there still holding there price :ack:

Still loks like we got plenty of time for a build what with this weather :storm:

Loving the frame is it a dead cat copy ?? motors look a nice bit of kit and i cant wait to see the gimbal all mounted up .. Are you using a Go Pro 2 or the new version ?? been looking for one myself i thought seeing the new version 3 was out i would have a choice of cheap ones on the bay but there still holding there price :ack:

Still loks like we got plenty of time for a build what with this weather :storm:

yeah its a dead cat style frame based on the tbs discovery, my gopro is an original hero hd as the budget wouldn't run to a 2 or 3, it's more than up to the job though.. I thought exactly the same as you but they appear to be just like macs in respect of holding their price well..

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

Small update and not an exciting one, put the motors together before tea, they're very nice indeed.. Three small screws to secure each prop adapter and job done..

hurujypu.jpgnuge6aby.jpgpaja4uha.jpg

There is no me in team..

I'm kinda stuck with my build just now as the esc still hasn't reared its head and I'm waiting on a bag of fasteners from boltmeup as I've got the same problem mydoddy had with his build ie: motor nuts too short for the frame, but I have dry fitted the legs to the lower frame to find out where the intersect point is for the flight controller and assembled the front portion of the gimbal.. Here are some shots.. There excuse the mess ;)

u9y5yryt.jpge3u2u8uh.jpg3era5e9e.jpgutu4aseh.jpgpavehura.jpg6a2a9u4y.jpgu4ymede8.jpguhe7ybam.jpg

There is no me in team..

Edited by smash

i am going to use some servo gromets.

finding the right size may be a little task, but they should pop into the pre drill holes

on the flight controller. once inplace they act like a little anti vibration kit.

helping damp any vibration from frame etc etc.

looking sweet, i love these TBS style frame sets, shame there are none for my 330mm quad.

Yep that's what I'm thinking but that's where the holes are drilled, obviously I can do some on the top plate so ill play it by ear and if it needs doing it'll get done.. I've already made a lexan plate to protect as I thought it would be top mounted so it's only a small job to sort..

There is no me in team..

Grr still no esc 4 weeks later, I've had enough and raised a paypal dispute, ordered 4 20a simonk flashed escs today and a power distribution board from rctimer, I got my carbon props from them today and they are very nice indeed :) saving them for best tho..

There is no me in team..