• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Who can repair my lipo?

WADREW

i agree with the 5s conversion!

you would need to find an identical cell and ideally with a similar count of cycles. if you doant, it will remain unbalanced.

Cool thanks guys, ill look into removing the bad cell. Would I need to change the balance lead and plug?

yup! definitely otherwise you wont be able to balance the battery.

Check out my thread on my 'Mental Maxx', within 'Some of my Friends' in General RC.

I've changed from older 25C 3S 5Ah batteries which started to go a bit 'fluffy', to Turnigy nanotech's. 3S 5Ah 65/130C no less.

The E-Maxx runs 6S, and did without problem through a Mamba Monster - couldn't anymore - too much power available and the ESC was cutting out.

I had to go to a Mamba XL2!!

Now it is as the name suggests - MENTAL!!

So far, I've not had a problem. I've only cycled perhaps 3 times, each time they complete their charge within a minute of each other - got to be a good sign, charging at the same rate.

Al.

Check out my thread on my 'Mental Maxx', within 'Some of my Friends' in General RC.

I've changed from older 25C 3S 5Ah batteries which started to go a bit 'fluffy', to Turnigy nanotech's. 3S 5Ah 65/130C no less.

The E-Maxx runs 6S, and did without problem through a Mamba Monster - couldn't anymore - too much power available and the ESC was cutting out.

I had to go to a Mamba XL2!!

Now it is as the name suggests - MENTAL!!

So far, I've not had a problem. I've only cycled perhaps 3 times, each time they complete their charge within a minute of each other - got to be a good sign, charging at the same rate.

Al.

I had a look mate, some nice kit you got there.

I've been reading about recovering bad cells in a lipo, is it worth a try at charging it on Nimh setting for a while to try and bring the bad cells voltage back up?

Nanos are good for the money, but zippy are a bit pants TBH, so nano normal or a spec will be fine...also genes ace are fairly good and have a lot of praise and good reviwes, there are many other good budget brands out there as well but just do your research first.

I have heard that opti power are not bad batterys and have very good proformance and good price BUT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HAVEING PROBLEMS WITH CELLS GOING SOFT!

Could I connect wires through the balance plug to that one cell? From the charger.

How far out of balance are the cells? A slow balance charge should bring them all back in line, up to 4.2v each. No garantee they will stay that way after a single use though- if they get way out of balance again when you put them back on charge, time to relegate that pack to lighter duty use only, with a higher LVC setting.

Regards your 6s lipo with a dead cell- easy enough to locate the bad cell and desolder it for sure ( you will need to be very careful with where you poke the iron, and it'll need to be a big iron too- a desoldering pump would be handy to remove the melted solder as you work ). You won't however need to change the balance connector, but you will need to move the pins/wires along so that there isn't a gap in the sequence as such ( unless it's cell 6 that died, in which case no worries, just pull that wire and you're done- the charger will see the pack as a 5s pack without that cell and balance wire- the white plastic connector doesn't make any difference as all the balance sockets on a charger / balancer board as in parallel ).

This thread should help:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27348