• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Some of my Friends

atom3624

No centre - straight through the old-style hardened gears.

6-spider UE diffs front / rear.

UE cups.

Traxxas 'shiny' Revo CVD's - toughest I found. Nuked a couple of Integy ones!!

The rest you know.

Might be an idea for a centre diff, but not for now.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

I've been thinking of the gearbox in the E-Maxx.

I THINK I have a combination of UltraMaxx and OTB gears in there .... with a fair amount of Moly Grease to help them along.

Not too many problems so I'll leave alone for now.

A centre diff might be nice, and would help the slipper a bit as well.

Al.

Centre diff is amazing for straight line acceleration, with the right oil of course.

Did you have any issues with the UE diff cups being too short?

I remember there was a size issue with the arms - too short or long, but was resolved, somehow .... can't remember for now.

Centre diff?

Is this with the UE single speed gearbox, as the box I currently have is 'fully occupied' with the 2 speed?

Al.

Wife, Ed the 6 year old, and the baby are at church, so while there's still mist, but no rain, out came .... THE BEAST!! XL2 controlled 6S E-Maxx.

Quick final check of all screws, particularly the motor mount and pinion .....

Tx on, Batteries connected, quick drive out of the doorway, around the car, to the front, then I opened up A LITTLE - WOWEEE this seems quick!!

Then I turned and opened up. Previously with the Mamba Monster, same batteries I would go for full ... I only got up to 2/3 throttle and it was WAY faster ...

Turn around and up to FULL POWER ....

Edited by atom3624

I remember there was a size issue with the arms - too short or long, but was resolved, somehow .... can't remember for now.

Centre diff?

Is this with the UE single speed gearbox, as the box I currently have is 'fully occupied' with the 2 speed?

Al.

The drive cups were too short, had to wind the pillow balls right in! Not much of an issue at the rear, but fouled the knuckles up front. Not good for steering.

Mine's the BL box, no mods needed. The centre diff makes straight line acceleration amazing, but you need to be easier on the brakes or she'll spin out.

Vids coming soon?

Vids only if/when I can get a colleague to come along - might happen.

Wife's not remotely interested!!

Seem to remember something along the lines that I was screwing in the pillow balls as much as I could, and the tie rods had to be opened up. The latter was sorted with cut down long rod ends ...

One of those things.

Seems fine now.

Al.

Shimmed and greased or oiled, they're pretty good stuff.

Will Losi drive cups fit?

That might work and I know they're pretty damned tough!

The 'other works enthusiast' is keen to see 'Mental Maxx', so there might be some filming this weekend if the weather holds out - which unfortunately is doubtful!!

Al.

Shimmed and greased or oiled, they're pretty good stuff.

Will Losi drive cups fit?

That might work and I know they're pretty damned tough!

The 'other works enthusiast' is keen to see 'Mental Maxx', so there might be some filming this weekend if the weather holds out - which unfortunately is doubtful!!

Al.

I'd have to open them up to check, trouble is, the drive cups are an integral part of the diff, so don't know what others would fit.

Yeah, I hear you.

I'll be honest, it's been a long time since I opened up mine.

Don't want to do it just yet.

Perhaps next time the wife takes the children to visit her cousin in Birmingham or something!!

Al.

The lad's Stampede Grave Digger received some attention today.

He's no idea what I've got installed in it!! It's got the VXL ESC and BL motor - sorted that out when I was still in Alaska 19 months ago!

It's still on Training Mode and running the 7-cell Traxxas NiMH battery.

Bearing in mind that it might ...... one day have a 3S Turnigy nanotech tried in it ....... I received and fitted a cooling fan - literally clip on, plug in - done in 2 minutes including removing the body and replacing!! OK, 3 minutes then!

Received green anodised shock caps for the same little beast. Gave me an opportunity to open up the shocks. Since purchase, including playing silly buggers with it quite a bit in Alaska, and here - hardly a drop of oil lost.

One thing that's quite amazing is when I compared the vertical movement available between the Stam Digger and the MERV Digger.

Appearances are very deceiving - they're within 2mm of identical, and if anything the MERV's got more travel, 'though you'd never think that to look at it!!

MERV's shocks are the modified Traxxas ones, with TiNi coated shafts, but I've never liked the clip on bottom caps. Especially as I'm running some thick FG Modellsport oil in them, with the longer, heavier Summit springs.

I'm expecting to blow off the end caps one day, hence why I've ordered - backorder still from Stormer Hobbies (cheapest I found) - the Exotek shocks. Worth a try and it was still Christmas at the time!!

Nothing now for another 6 months minimum!!

HONEST!!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Just lost an hour of 'ZZZZZZZZZZZZ's' 'speed reading' (not that I can, just looking at the photos and reading a couple of posts - LOL!!) this thread.

Fascinating!!

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9731

Then I realise where modern technology has taken over from my experience ....

The ESC and the batteries!!

That truck and the effort and $$$$$ to make it are absolutely amazing!!

Al.

As far as the chassis and diffs were concerned, that guy on the RC Monster Forum thread really had the dog's nuts - mine's not to that spec.

It just seemed .... slow when it was being blasted around the field, but perhaps that was an effect of the filming, and the size of the area it was run in.

I'll see if we get a couple of hours of good weather over the weekend, and that colleague can come around and 'have a look'. He'll definitely film it somehow!!

Other projects? Nothing special for the moment, just a minor modification on the Blue Thunder body I'm going to try out.

Need to save A LOT of

Finishing off some of the projects I'd started before Christmas - by ordering the parts.

The Jugg2 runs twin 550 brushed motors from Kershaw, through an EVX-2 ESC.

It's certainly got the torque, and with the modified chassis, is still very unsteady for a racer truck, like the modified Mental Maxx, but still not bad and way under-geared.

I'd ordered 2x each of 18t, 20t, 22t pinions.

The standard pinions on the Jugg are 15t, so I managed to just squeeze on the 20t ones with the adjustment available, still permitting a little slack.

WOW, what a job!!

Sounds easy doesn't it, and it should be, but changing the pinions requires dis-assembling quite a lot!

JOB DONE now, and it works fine!!

FASTER of course!!!!!

Al.

When I finally arrived home, I got the Juggernaut 2 out, with twin Kershaw designs 550 brushed motors, through a Traxxas EVX-2, powered by 2x Venom 2S its never struggled for torque, and had a little run around with it.

8 leds plus the standard lights.

Looked good, and was obviously much fasted, not that that is anything to go by.

The Juggernaut is never going to handle well nor go very fast - still it's not longer that embarrassing to take it out anymore!!

Al.

Vids or it didn't happen! Lol

I know, I know!!

Need to find somebody to video it - wife's not interested in the slightest, and son's too young!

It'll happen, one day.

Snow's on the way, POSSIBLY, so it'll definitely be time for the Raminator and the FG MT - good fun in the snow.

Al.

Emptied the MSR8 shocks of their oil and refilled - thickened the rears from 30 to 50 WT.

Thing is, I didn't notice much difference!!

Let's see if the truck 'settles' better with the extra power and weight, or I may be putting in thicker oil again!!

Al.

Nanotech's charged last night for Mental Maxx.

Rear shocks were removed, cleaned, then re-filled with Associated 50 WT - had 30+ in I think.

The heavier ESC and extra power from the new installation was making it squat too much, then lift at speed.

I also increased pre-load front and rear on the MSR8's - when doing the drop test, it goes down, doesn't bottom, and comes up once - smooth. Probably about 3 feet.

Should be good.

Powered her up after bringing Ed, my 6 year old back from swimming.

Managed to get her up to FULL, but then ONLY JUST before running out of the limited space - accelerates quickly so it's definitely NOT over-geared.

Then check which gear I was in - the lower one!

Eased to near zero throttle to limit strain, changed to higher and off again.

NO CHANCE - not enough room before having to brake, or hit someone at a mental speed!!

I blasted up, down, up, down, up, down ..... 10 times or more .... mix of 'bobbly grass' (not gold course smooth that's for certain!) and tarmac.

The suspension is brilliant - smooth and no wobbles.

Brought it back to me, and quickly removed the body.

Didn't have the IR thermometer gun handy, so all was by touch.

Batteries, cables, connectors - cold.

ESC - nearly cold.

Motor - could keep my hand there all day - cool!!

Frankly, I was amazed.

I expected something to give, or overheat ....

Better than I ever expected!

WOW!!

I know, FILM REQUIRED!!!

Al.

• Like 1

I've a few ideas on future projects, but for the moment, I need a few $$$ in the bank - wife is starting to drive!

I've looked into Unlimited Engineering, but the overall length of a set of 'mm shaft' CVD's is 8mm shorter than the current ones - incompatible.

Perhaps it would be fine with the UE knuckles as well.

NO WAY am I changing the Flextek arms!!

Al.

Hopefully the weather will hold up again tomorrow, and I can have another go at going for Max Maxx speed!!

This thing is so stable, yet powerful!!

I think I'll tighten the slipper a touch more, 'though it's just about perfect.

Great stuff!!

Al.