• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Electric Guide

Garry

how important is discharging and equalising, if I'm just bashing about? Is it so wrong to just charge up a few packs, go for a run and then just plug them back in to top them up?

I have an ansmann 67P charger which only charges.

Its quite important, its the difference between getting 8 months out of your cells before they can't hold a charge, and a year or two.

thanks. I'm assuming you can buy a charger that can do the whole cycle thing? so I plug it in, set it to discharge/charge and it'll discharge, then charge? Or do you have to stand over it for each stage?

Yep, a charger that cycles does one complete 'discharge-wait a while-charge' process by itself. Its a good idea to save up or budget as much as you can to get the best charger you can afford.

thanks again - suggestions welcome. One that cycles and can also support lipo, is relatively straightforward to use, and can work off mains or car. Doable for <

says it has a 1A discharge limit. Is that an issue? Do you generally just discharge overnight when you're done playing - so just top up inbetween?

also, does it do storage charge? One of the reasons I'm thinking of going lipo is more for convenience than power. Might be long gaps between play times so the lack of slow drain in the lipos is tempting. Or can I just store a NiMH discharged or fully charged?

getting closer :)

says it has a 1A discharge limit. Is that an issue? Do you generally just discharge overnight when you're done playing - so just top up inbetween?

also, does it do storage charge? One of the reasons I'm thinking of going lipo is more for convenience than power. Might be long gaps between play times so the lack of slow drain in the lipos is tempting. Or can I just store a NiMH discharged or fully charged?

getting closer :)

It should stop discharging at the right voltage. You should never store NIMH's flat. Storing them fully charged is best. ;)

thanks.

so I'll not worry about the discharge speed then - just do it once in a while when there is no hurry to get them charged (so overnight)

• 4 weeks later...

What is the maximum safe operating temperatures for Brushed and Brushless systems? Is there an optimum temperature for performance?

Brushed motors can get quite hot and still be OK. Basically hot enough to run without smelling funky, or burning the oils out of the brushes (thats why brushes turn bluey/reddy/purpley). 50-60 deg C is the norm.

Brushless motors are turn-specific, 13.5 and 10.5 motors can run a little hotter than modified brushless' without a performance dropoff. But you don't want to let any get over 70 deg C after a 5min run.

so whats with the "C" part is it 1 c to charge 1 cell and so on or am i just mixed up

for example stick pack 6cells 7.2v= certain mah + 6C to charge?

or is it other way round

the default on my orion clubman charge has interchangable rates and its default C is 6 when i plug in any 6 cell battery when i plug in a 7, 7c comes up?

im worried bcause i could of been chargin batteries wrongly lolz

Edited by Darkfilter

• 2 weeks later...

advice please

i just picked up an electric car it has quite a few orion 7.2v 1500mh packs with it (they are quite old and are nicad or ni mah )

but came with no charger

what kind of charger should i purchase ?

i have an old tamiya one but its a 12h charge only and im not sure it is right.

this car hasnt been run for many years and the batteries could all be goosed some show visable signs of corrosion.

is it simple to swap to lipo?

They will be NiCD batteries, this is a good, cheap charger that will handle any NiCD or NiMH battery you want to use, and runs from both a 12v source or the mains. If the cells are a bit old though, you can pick up some decent Vapextech 3700's or 4300's for very little (less than

• 2 weeks later...
This is exactly the kind of info a noob like me needs. Many thanks :)

"cogging is seen in sensorless systems" This suggests there are sensored systems?

There are yes, and they experience very very little, to no cogging at all. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Similarly this, which is the same, but a few quid cheaper!

Is that the Ripmax one??? i did have one myself but had no end of trouble with it, ended up with 2 of them after having the 1st one replaced, went and got the Core UDC20 in the end and its never skipped a beat!

I'm glad i've read this now, will be looking into some new Lipos so want them to last a long time!

Hi all,

I have a ansmann powerjack gp pro charger.

I am trying to work out the charge time for my hump pack, the charger charges at 11.2 V, 200 mA.

My hump pack is 1500 mah so how long/ how do I work out how long it will take to charge.

Many Thanks in Advance,

Adam.