• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tank Discussion Thread

.AJ.

For battles, IR is the only way to go :)

i looked at the IR battles, and to be honest i felt let down.

a couple flashing lights, tank does a silly dance/judder when hit.

to me it felt like everyone was turn based, where one driver would get a go to move and shoot then the other etc etc.

i expected a more fluid and dynamic battlefield.  

There is a lot more to the Tamiya battle set up, reload times (longer for heavy tanks etc) , recovery times, the more hits you take the slower the tank gets and finally after the a set about of hits depending on class of tanks to die lol

• Like 1

i looked at the IR battles, and to be honest i felt let down.

a couple flashing lights, tank does a silly dance/judder when hit.

to me it felt like everyone was turn based, where one driver would get a go to move and shoot then the other etc etc.

i expected a more fluid and dynamic battlefield.

A.J has hit the nail on the head, ive only ever battled with tamiya tanks, you have to be a pretty acurate shot, as somebody else shoots your tank you can hear the incoming shell but therses nothing you can do as it happens so quickly, loud explosion occours, depending on where your hit certain parts of your tank become dissabled, the noise changes, your engine will start to splutter and miss fire, theres a whole host of things, as aj said reload times, it makes the whole experaince much better and you need a strategy as such, not just fire fire fire and hope for the best :) i dont go anymore sadly but it was really good fun, tamiya is the only IR system worth battling with, all the rest are just hassle, IR beam bouncing off walls etc.

• Like 1

My little konami tanks had a little wee rom pack which was appropriate to the tank, Reload, payload, speed all different, ie the tiger only had 12 shells v the Sherman which had 35 shells, the tiger took more shells to knock out but was slower to reload, quite cleaver for something over 10 years old!

I think there 1/72 scale?

This will sort that issue, the control board starts the recoil as soon as voltage is applied to it, so the start of the recoil cycle (barrel in), HV flash and the IR Led will all work at exactly the same time, just rigged it up to spare RX and my servo is duff, so be a few days till I start the conversion :(

Picked up some relays so I can sort out the Taigen recoil. After some more research just replacing the microswitch with a relay will be enough to trigger the flash and recoil at the same time.

Decided to do a complete workshop clean up and get everything organised before starting the Torro Tger 1 build. Why is it that a job that you think will take a few hours is turning into a full weekends job. It's a shock to realise just how many bits and pieces I've accumulated over the past few years.

John

BTW When is the tank section going to be set-up?

Edited by johninderby

Is there such a thing as a "basher" tank?

I like the idea of a tracked vehicle to muck about with. I bought a crawler originally as you don't need much space to have fun for half an hour.

The scale side doesn't appeal (at the moment) and even the turret / gun are optional.

I am aware from airfix tank building years ago that small scale tracks are not the toughest things but is there a model / range suitable for driving around the woods and climbing random piles of stuff?

Is there such a thing as a "basher" tank?

I like the idea of a tracked vehicle to muck about with. I bought a crawler originally as you don't need much space to have fun for half an hour.

The scale side doesn't appeal (at the moment) and even the turret / gun are optional.

I am aware from airfix tank building years ago that small scale tracks are not the toughest things but is there a model / range suitable for driving around the woods and climbing random piles of stuff?

Wondered the same thing and i think there is. 

one big problem, one big big ocean problem. they made in china and they are 1/6th scale.

they are also FULL METAL TANKS !!!! , every part is hand machined and cut, crafted, tweeked and fitted.

production wise 10 guys build these tanks and its taking a couple months to do so. 

there is however a tracked machine that can be modded out somewhat, the kyosho blizzard.

given a few tweeks, some waterproofing and a upgrade in power, it can run on 3s lipo and turns up the voltage

somewhat of the kyosho making it a snowskipper more than a snowplough, the whole mod entails

gearboxs, new direct drive lathe motors running through a 2:1 ratio gearbox tranny from a crawler.

other tracked machines like the RC RIPSAW run dedicated home made chassis design with a high chassis center

and track runs. leading to custom built suspension arms and likes. you though your savage 4.5 was good check the ripsaw

a speed run of the rc ripsaw like chassis

sadly old tami just does not have the tooling ability to make this type of suspension setup

or milling gear to create the spur drives etc etc

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

The Kyosho Blizzard can be made much better with a few minor mods such as new motors and ESCs. However it's still more suited to level ground, not a great climber on hard ground. I almost bought a Ripsaw tank chassis  but a Wild Thumper 6WD chassis was more suitable for the project I had in mind.

John

Blizzard with Tamiya Sport Tuned 380s and MS waterproof ESCs.

Blizzard-2_zps93fa1ad5.jpg

Does the lucky 'sponsor' receive e.mails and pictures of progress and general well being too??

Are you sure 4k is right? Last time I priced up a Tiger with all options, it came to around 8k, hence why I don't own one ;) In real terms, that's probably twice the value of mi beemer!

Full email updates would be made available, depicting every step of the strip down and prep for painting, as well as reassembly. You will also be made aware of any training manoeuvres carried out.

The 'rtr' versions of their 1/6 tanks come with battery, electrics, gun rotation and elevation and the correct sound unit for each tank and supplied in primer.

The blank firing gun won't be available after the new year due to new fire arms regs - meaning you'll have to have a fire arms licence to purchase said blanks.

But the only option i'd be adding would be the smoker and proportional smoke controller.

The 1/4 scale ones can easily reach well over

Edited by Pistonhead