• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

• 2 months later...

My son and i use these in our lunchbox/pumpkin

front

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=368699

rear

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=368698

the fronts just click into the kit light buckets and drilled 2 holes in the rear for backlights

the owners thread on here is quite good :cheers:

Hi Storm. 

yeah been through 71 pages worth lol

lots of info but being old a lot of links have now been removed. I noticed the lights like you linked. 

will get them along with the shocks, brace kit, bearings and supports.

Loads can be done lol 

Yeah links can expire pretty quickly, especially when most stuff comes from eBay.

Here's my thoughts on mods on order of importance:

1 - Bearing kit, install when building rather than doing it later. www.rcbearings.co.uk have supplied bearings for pretty much every kit I've built.

2 - Alloy body mounts. The heavy abs body just shears off the plastic body mounts first time you roll it. Search eBay for "lunchbox alloy body mounts" there'll be a few options for about a tenner.

That's all you need to get started but of course there's loads you can do to these so next up:

3 - 5th shock mod as the leaf springs will be gone after the first run. This is to stop the slap from the gearbox when you accelerate. There's a little 3d printed part you can get that's a lot easier to fit, Google "ampro engineering cw01 transmission brace".

4 - Replace the shocks but I like tamiya stuff so I'd go for the tamiya short shock set 2. These can be quite pricy though so alternately look for something 75-85mm. You'll need the mounts which are supplied in the kit, if you don't have these then check eBay for "tamiya 9805082".

5 - faster motor. I always thought a 15t motor was the sweet spot in these, wheelies all day and a good top end speed. Of course there are plenty ways to go faster if you want.

6 - tyre foams. These help with handling without losing too much of the madness. I can't remember which ones I used now so get some help from Google for that.

7 - better wheelie bar. The standard one is a bit rubbish, I left it too long and the end where the wheel was had mostly been ground away and it had pushed holes into the gearbox casing. Look on eBay for "lunchbox wheelie bar". I bought a nice one and has 2 little wheels and brace.

From there your imagination is your only limit. You could get a parma lexan body to reduce weight up top.

Miniature manufacturing make some lovely alloy wheels.

Chassis bracing looks nice but I don't think it makes much real world difference, I have one brace between the front shocks.

You can get a kit that allows you to use standard pinions, I use a 20t 32dp pinion on mine.

• Like 2

Hi oodboo,

Thank you very much for that information will make life a lot easier. It's for my 4 and 6 year old so you know it'll be crashed at some point. so speed wont be too important yet but it will need some grunt to get up skateboard ramps and little hills lol

Been looking at vinyl wraps for the shell which I will need to grab a clear one and spray up the supplied as something similar 

I’ve come across this place on Facebook. They do vinyl wraps for inside of clear shells. 

Going to order some if anyone wants any whilst I’m ordering, they’re from the states. 

Unless anyone knows of a UK supplier

DAF1F2A4-9912-4CFF-B739-23CCD4FA33AD.jpeg

• Like 2

Only me again. 

I’ve been looking through loads. I saw some alloy threaded rod somewhere so I can make my own struts and do the servo centering but have lost it can’t for the lift of me find it again  

Anyone here book marked such stuff?

Thanks 

Nice work and videos there. Is the 4 shocks overkill or work well? I’ve ordered the strut off eBay 

I’ve ordered the paint, gone for  light blue and Pearl lacquer to finish it off hopefully it’ll look good. 

The new lb I have may be different from older versions. In the instructions it has a servo saver and the improved wishbone arms so that was interesting but may be wrong lol 

Looking forward to letting the kids loose and I’ll fly my heli around it 

Edited by Stretchy79
  • Like 2

Everything is overkill on my truck.

The 4 rear shocks work, sure. But this build is purely a fun indulgence. It performs terribly. But THAT is what makes it so fun.  If you ever did manage to reign it in and get it under control, well you'd have to ask yourself why did you buy it in the first place?

If you are frustrated with it, then stop, sell it and get something else. This is no Savage XS. You won't find that here. 

The time and money I have invested in this...I could have bought whatever other rc I wanted. But it never fails to bring a smile to my face, mainly because I expect so little from it performance wise.  In fact so much so that sometimes I'm impressed by what it CAN do. 

Once you have freed your LB from those expectations it will always be fun to drive. Yes it will flip over a lot and your bodies and wheels will get all scratched up, but that's all part of the fun. Expect it. Embrace it.

• Like 1

Agree, last car i had was a manta ray thats how far back i go lol this is for the kids but i've bought a fair bit already, longer wheelie bar, foam inserts, suspension is on its way, 3rd shock (well the rod) and as i have been building it seen the plastic gears etc, so may replace them one day. more power will come once the kids can handle it