• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

20140904_185742_zpsvekilthl.jpg

My lunchbox, fitted the 5th shock mod, 75mm oil filled shocks all round and full bearing set also fitted a 9t Leppard brushless motor and esc.

• Like 2

Hi all! New member here. Just got to say that the trucks on this thread are amazing! Really inspired.

Noob questions I'm afraid.

Just got hold of an old MP or my 6 yr old boy.

Looking to do some upgrades together.

Ordered some new shocks. Can I use one of the old shocks for 3rd shock?

Also it has a pre ESC thing in it. I was thinking upgrade to TBLE-02S ESC and RS540 sport tuned motor? Is there something better than this? I've upgrade from 1300 NiCd to 7200 NiMh and am not going to LiPo.

Will I need anything else for this to work ie new servos etc?

And controller was full of leakage from old batteries - managed to get it to work with some wire forced between batteries but wondered what model of radio and receiver anyone would recommend.

Thanks guys.

Keep on posting!

Love this thread

Hi all! New member here. Just got to say that the trucks on this thread are amazing! Really inspired.

Noob questions I'm afraid.

Just got hold of an old MP or my 6 yr old boy.

Looking to do some upgrades together.

Ordered some new shocks. Can I use one of the old shocks for 3rd shock?

Also it has a pre ESC thing in it. I was thinking upgrade to TBLE-02S ESC and RS540 sport tuned motor? Is there something better than this? I've upgrade from 1300 NiCd to 7200 NiMh and am not going to LiPo.

Will I need anything else for this to work ie new servos etc?

And controller was full of leakage from old batteries - managed to get it to work with some wire forced between batteries but wondered what model of radio and receiver anyone would recommend.

Thanks guys.

Keep on posting!

Love this thread

You will need a 55mm oil filled shock to do the mod the old ones are too tall, i made a "u" bracket to hold the top mount and cut a slot in the plastic axle support where the rod passes through for the bottom mount. The motor esc comdo i have no experience of but as an educated guess sounds ok, I went for the silly 9t brushless power because I could, its way to powerful really it will back flip if you apply full throtle, if your servo is working don't worry about changing unless you want to upgrade to higher tork/waterproof etc your transmitter on the other hand may need replacement soon if the batteries have leaked, I use an absima cr3p because I've got 5 other models on that handset, I've had the handset since june and very pleased with it no issues with range or reliability so far!

You will need a 55mm oil filled shock to do the mod the old ones are too tall, i made a "u" bracket to hold the top mount and cut a slot in the plastic axle support where the rod passes through for the bottom mount. The motor esc comdo i have no experience of but as an educated guess sounds ok, I went for the silly 9t brushless power because I could, its way to powerful really it will back flip if you apply full throtle, if your servo is working don't worry about changing unless you want to upgrade to higher tork/waterproof etc your transmitter on the other hand may need replacement soon if the batteries have leaked, I use an absima cr3p because I've got 5 other models on that handset, I've had the handset since june and very pleased with it no issues with range or reliability so far!

Thanks for the quick reply. Very helpful thanks! That 9t sounds crazy! My 6 years old would backflip every time

He has a 3 year old sister who would probably get hurt with that configuration Maybe when he's a bit older!

Checked out the CR3P - wow you get a lot for your money these days. Will probably get that. Looks like I wouldn have to buy a one ever again. And WAY better than the rusty old thing I have now.

Will any 55mm oil shock do or a particular one?

Also love the look of your lunchbox. (That's an appropriate scentence in this particular thread but nowhere else). Is it possible to put lunchbox body on MP base? Change of mounts I guess?

Thanks again for your help Shaunm - much appreciated

Thanks for the quick reply. Very helpful thanks! That 9t sounds crazy! My 6 years old would backflip every time

He has a 3 year old sister who would probably get hurt with that configuration Maybe when he's a bit older!

Checked out the CR3P - wow you get a lot for your money these days. Will probably get that. Looks like I wouldn have to buy a one ever again. And WAY better than the rusty old thing I have now.

Will any 55mm oil shock do or a particular one?

Also love the look of your lunchbox. (That's an appropriate scentence in this particular thread but nowhere else). Is it possible to put lunchbox body on MP base? Change of mounts I guess?

Thanks again for your help Shaunm - much appreciated

I used the absima shocks basicaly down to price bought from model sport, cant answer the question about pumpkin chaissis and lunch box body but i would have thaught if the tub chassis is the same then why not!
  • Like 1

Change of rear mounts is required to fit the LB body, the chassis' are identical.

The tble02 ESC is renowned for problems, something along these lines may be preferable:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-esc/rc-car-products/382831

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-probe-wp-electronic-speed-control/rc-car-products/369473

I've been running the probe escs in various Tamiyas (inc my LB) with good results. They will take cans of 15t or higher, so can be run with the stock silver cans or others. Hpi 15t firebolt can in mine, just about controllable ;)

• Like 1

Hi guys

Got the CR3P controller andProbe WP Esc. Wow goes like stink with the 5300 voltz NiMh battery! Lasts for ages too! Had to glue rear tyres to rims. What a vehicle ! Love it. Looks like I'll have to invest in a catering pack of body mounts though. Snapped them several times now but have been glueing them back together with airfix type modelling glue and it works great until the next big smash.

I've fitted absima 85mm rear shocks to the rear and an absima 55mm 5th shock. I haven't done the fronts yet as I used one of the mounts to fit the 5th shock. More mounts arriving on Monday.

Have any of you fitted softer springs than the ones that come with the absima dampers? The 5th shock is doing fine I think but the main rears are super stiff and I'm not sure they are actually compressing during running. Any thoughts? Or would they be that stiff?

Also the old servo plug didn't fit in the new receiver so I removed the three metal pins from the plastic and pushed them on individually and boom - sorted.

I guess next is foams in tyres and new bearings?

I think the motor is fine for the moment. Any recommendations on brushed motor? What's the right balance between speed and torque? Also will a new motor be quicker to react to controller ? Takes a while to go to forward after reverse. Probably a programmable option on the CR3P.

Thanks again for all your help and inspiration chaps. Much appreciated.

Anything I can use the 3rd channel on the controller for? Lights maybe?

Hi guys

Got the CR3P controller andProbe WP Esc. Wow goes like stink with the 5300 voltz NiMh battery! Lasts for ages too! Had to glue rear tyres to rims. What a vehicle ! Love it. Looks like I'll have to invest in a catering pack of body mounts though. Snapped them several times now but have been glueing them back together with airfix type modelling glue and it works great until the next big smash.

I've fitted absima 85mm rear shocks to the rear and an absima 55mm 5th shock. I haven't done the fronts yet as I used one of the mounts to fit the 5th shock. More mounts arriving on Monday.

Have any of you fitted softer springs than the ones that come with the absima dampers? The 5th shock is doing fine I think but the main rears are super stiff and I'm not sure they are actually compressing during running. Any thoughts? Or would they be that stiff?

Also the old servo plug didn't fit in the new receiver so I removed the three metal pins from the plastic and pushed them on individually and boom - sorted.

I guess next is foams in tyres and new bearings?

I think the motor is fine for the moment. Any recommendations on brushed motor? What's the right balance between speed and torque? Also will a new motor be quicker to react to controller ? Takes a while to go to forward after reverse. Probably a programmable option on the CR3P.

Thanks again for all your help and inspiration chaps. Much appreciated.

Anything I can use the 3rd channel on the controller for? Lights maybe?

Yep deffo lights bought a set of 5mm led's from modelsport plug straight in

Me again chaps. Split my servo saver. Boo. Does anyone know which size Kimbrough servo saver is the right size for the pumpkin? Might as well upgrade eh.

Also, what's happened to miniature manufacturing? Website seems to have gone.

Thanks all

The light kit came from Radshape RC. The kit comes with white, red, blue and orange leds, but as I had some spare ornage leds i swapped them for the blue and fitted them into the wheel arches. The light up pumpkin came from Sainsburys.

• Like 1

Noooooooo! Currently trying to decide what to get as something to get back into the hobby and these are on my list of possibles and then I find this posting.

Soooooo trying to resist the lure of the one I found on eBay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all. New member here. I'm off work at the moment due to a motorbike accident. ( Not my fault )  So I've got a lot of spare time on my hands. Been told about 6-8 months recovery time. Anyway I've been building Tamiya models for years. ( I'm 51 ) But this is my first RC. I picked a Midnight Pumpkin and think it is fantastic, took about 2 days to build and is completely standard, even running plastic bearings. I've had it out for 2 runs. Flattening the battery both times and think it's the best fun I've had for age's. Already ordered a 4600 battery as the 1800 just doesn't last long enough. Hopefully here's a couple of pic's.

• Like 2

Oh no, the modding has started, just ordered a set of rubber sealed bearings. Also looking at a sport tuned motor.  Definitely got too much free time to read forums and trawl Ebay. My 4600 battery arrived today aswell so should be able to play for longer.

Well the bearings are installed along with the 4600 battery and it definitely runs smoother and for much longer. Had it going for at least an hour yesterday and didn't run the battery down, but one of the front tyres came off and a few other bits came loose. Took about an hour to clean and rebuild it. All part of the fun. Have ordered a sport tuned motor for it.

Mick, if you don't want to glue your tyres to the rims, have you tried the rubber band trick?

Grab some bands and you sit them in the groove where the tyre beads lay. The tyres grab the band and the band grips the wheel, should stop the tyres spinning and slipping off of the rims.

• Like 1