• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

I've used an 1800 nimh and 3300 nimh and the only difference is run times.

My sports tune motor was so disappointing in 3 different cars that I must assume it's faulty if yours is faster than a torque tuned ?

I had a 15T motor in it for a short while but wrecked it in a different car so I reverted the Lunchie to a torque tuned. It was good and fast but the tyres couldn't cope on frosty grass! 

I'm going to experiment further with a new 15T motor and spiked rear tyres.

I'm sure your esc is fine, I've used 2 or 3 different types amd I'm sure they made no difference to the speed.

Yes, that was with glued tyres. The tyres are quite old and I'm sure the originals from the 90's. I ragged it on the beach today and it was begging for traction so I've finally given in and just ordered a pair of GF01 dump truck spike tyres for it.

What 15T motor did you use? I had a Firebolt but it didn't last long and others have criticised them.

I had a 12T unbranded from Ebay and it failed after just a few runs. I must be unlucky with motors! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oodboo said:

Have you tried glueing your tires? 15t motor was the sweet spot for my lunchie but the wheels used to spin in the tires.

My tires were spinning when I fitted the sports tuned motor, so I used the elastic band trick.  Basically wrap an elastic band on the inner and outer grooves on the wheel and re-fit the tire.  I did this as I thought sticking them on would make it a hassle if I ever wanted to change the tires.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I joined the club this week with this pair of ebay fodder:

sNbOH2Fl.jpg

The pumpkin is pretty lightly used, its in pretty good condition, no receiver but servo and hobbywing 1040 esc. Turns out it has bearings too, which the auction didn't mention.

The lunchbox is a different kettle of fish, the auction said "never used thanks to a stroppy teenager who didn't build it correctly".

They weren't joking, this gives you a pretty good idea:

O7CjzHRl.jpg

wtf!

Pretty much everything was incorrect - one of the upright screws was being used to hold the battery door on, replaced in the arm by a countersunk wood self tapper (that didn't fit). The motor was (or rather wasn't) being held to its mount by 12mm self tappers instead of 6mm machine screws. The spacer in the gearbox was on the wrong shaft .The screws holding the windows in the body were too long and have broken through the roof. The servo was fitted with the wrong saver piece, so it wasn't meshing with the servo splines, steering arms the wrong length. One tyre was on backwards. One front shock was on the back and a back one on the front..

All the parts are there pretty much, its just they were in the wrong place! I've corrected much of it, but am waiting for the bearing kit to arrive. I've also ordered one screw bag, because the screws to hold the motor are missing and one front shock lower mounting bolt - this is handy as I have a use for all the other screws in the bag on something else. Car didn't come with a transmitter but does have a hitec 27Mhz receiver, two hitec servos and a TEU101 esc.

These cars are for my niece and nephew, so plan is to find some radio gear of some sort and get them going (I got a charger off a neighbour tonight, some batteries on their way from modelsport). 

I never liked wheel controllers when I had rc cars as a kid, but finding stick stuff is difficult, do people find their kids take to the wheel easier ? I could get some of those controllers.

Edit: Bearing kit turned up, fitted and its had its first run!  Just ran a battery as it arrived so probably only half charge, but it ran fine and was faster than I expected. Need to find some radio gear for the pumpkin.

Edited by Mark_C
  • Like 1

Good luck putting everything right. My kids and I get on well with the wheel type controllers. We bought a used car some time ago with a stick controller but just couldn't  get used to it.

One can get used to anything with time. I started my RC career with planes, so sticks were what I got used to first. I used them with my planes and later with my cars for decades, but when I made the switch to 2.4GHz about 8 years ago I saw the way the surface market was going and made the switch to wheel. It took a while - several months at least - but now I am just as quick with either type. 

Thanks, I got some flysky GT3Bs, they are as cheap as the old 27Mhz stuff on ebay and I can set a max for the throttle which I think could come in handy - if not for the kids then for the grandparents! I let one loose with the lunchbox yesterday and it got rolled, bashed and even jammed under a car! OAPS are a menace!

Meantime, the printing arrived:

2OG35XOl.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Installed:

CoRZ4zxl.jpg

tzTyNQol.jpg

Not bad for under £8 total.

• Like 1

Finally got a set of Absim shocks from these guys to fit to my Pumpkin:

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/absima-aluminum-adjustable-dampers-77mm-2pcs?search=absim

Not bad for 4.99 a pair!!! Might get one of the shorter ones for the 5th Shock mod.

Got a 3000 battery and my Sports Tuned motor seems much faster, might be because this new battery is lighter than my 20 year old 1500's :-)

Looking forward to taking her out today over a nice big gravel car park near me :-)

Oh look, I'm 13 again.....

• Like 1

My Lunchie has a set of spiky GF01 tyres fitted to the rear wheels now.  They have improved the grip by at least a third and when I say that even wet grass is no longer much of an obstacle then experienced Lunchie owners will surely understand! They don't balloon much, even with a 15T motor :)

16 hours ago, Stupidget said:

Not bad for 4.99 a pair!!! Might get one of the shorter ones for the 5th Shock mod.

5th shock mod is no longer the best solution. It's been superseded by the transmission brace:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/w01002-01-tamiya-cw01-lunchbox-pumpkin-montero-uni?optionId=59473027&li=marketplace

I'm sure there are other places it can also be printed, or even the plans to print it, yourself. The brace prevents any up-down movement (the 5th shock mod only reduces it) and it still allows side-to-side movement, for the suspension to function.

Edited by Praet0r87

Praet is right, you can see the brace on my pictures a few posts up. It still allows the axle to move in the front mount, but only one side at a time. The car won't wheelie quite as much, but its much more stable when it does - not tested but I understand it makes it better on rough ground too. 

I have seen another method that just fitted a block into the mounting slots above the axle, thus just jamming it - as someone pointed out on TC this just stops it moving completely, which might not be the best idea.

The one on shapeways is the original I believe, if you look the chap that calls himself "ampro engineering" has designed and printed a whole bunch of parts for many cars, including the lunchbox/pumpkin. The only problem is that shipping from shapeways is expensive as they are US based, I think it was over £15 for two transmission braces.

All the parts I had printed above were from files on thingiverse and I used 3dhubs to print them - all four bits were just under £8 posted and only took a few days to come. The brace model had an issue with the intersecting faces - but the guy who printed them figured it out, just tell them it should be one piece when you order.

There are quite a few bits on thingiverse - strut braces, body mounts, wider rear wheels, lipo battery holders, micro servo adapters, rear shock mounts, suspension arms and so on. You take a bit of a risk that the file is correct, but its pretty cheap to have stuff printed.

One thing I did think of is that 3dhubs offer printing in TPU this is a flexible material - my thinking was if plastic body mounts snap and metal ones just cause the next weakest link to break (the chassis), what we need is something that will flex.. so TPU bodymounts might offer enough strength for the body to sit on, but provide a bit of squish/flex which might mean no more broken parts ?

I like what the ampro guy does and am tempted to get the light units he does for a "good" body. I guess if there were a bunch of people who wanted stuff we could do a single order and then re-distribute once the stuff is in the UK to reduce cost.

• Like 1

So, I've changed all my shocks on my Pumpkin to Absim 77mm ones, added the sports tuned motor and just fitted the transmission brace that I had printed.  Just gave her a quick blast in the back garden where the grass is about 50mm high and she seems much more stable.  One thing I did notice the other day is then when I really nail it in a straight line and stop quickly she veers sharply to the left to the point where she'll topple over!  Any idea what's causing that?

I've been looking at the pumpkin lately and have noticed that the body has a yellowy tint to it. I put a little meths on to a cloth and it removed a fair bit of grime:

nyp3Mwml.jpg

I was wondering if it had come from a smokers house, but I did the outside of the tailgate and found that its under the decals. Maybe it is just tarnishing over time ?

I'll need a decal sheet to clean the whole body.

Edited by Mark_C

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Guys, i am toying with getting the lunchbox Black as a next rc car, what are the minimum upgrades to incorporate into a new build, i guess wheel bearings being the main one

is this as good as people make out? 

Upgrades kind of depend on use. Bearings are also a good idea. But although probably an unpopular opinion. The nylon bushes are perfectly serviceable and don’t rust. If you are only planning stock 27T motor then I suspect the performance and runtime difference is negligible. 

As for other upgrades. Oil shocks will at least give it some form of damping. And I found the plastic body posts snapped far too easily. So replaced with metal. 

I also added a bracket to stop the axle assembly rotating. I forget who makes them but can find out. 

Inverted wheelie bar helps too. 

Overall though they are shockingly poor at almost anything. This can be fun but also frustrating. Inverting the wheelie bar and the axle bracket made the biggest difference and upped the enjoyment factor for me. Although mine runs a fairly hot motor setup. 

On 10/10/2018 at 18:24, 300bhp/ton said:

Upgrades kind of depend on use. Bearings are also a good idea. But although probably an unpopular opinion. The nylon bushes are perfectly serviceable and don’t rust. If you are only planning stock 27T motor then I suspect the performance and runtime difference is negligible. 

As for other upgrades. Oil shocks will at least give it some form of damping. And I found the plastic body posts snapped far too easily. So replaced with metal. 

I also added a bracket to stop the axle assembly rotating. I forget who makes them but can find out. 

Inverted wheelie bar helps too. 

Overall though they are shockingly poor at almost anything. This can be fun but also frustrating. Inverting the wheelie bar and the axle bracket made the biggest difference and upped the enjoyment factor for me. Although mine runs a fairly hot motor setup. 

thanks for the helpful reply, i dont think the lunchbox is what i am looking for

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...