• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

CY 26cc engine is a legend

Rory

Just thought Id say how much I love the 26CC cy engine. Ive started it for the first time in 5 months and after 3 or 4 pulls away it went and idled happily. I guess the good quality reliable carb is a big factor in this.

What a brilliant engine!

My 29CC KM engine on the other hand was a pig to start at any time lol

Just thought Id say how much I love the 26CC cy engine. Ive started it for the first time in 5 months and after 3 or 4 pulls away it went and idled happily. I guess the good quality reliable carb is a big factor in this.

What a brilliant engine!

My 29CC KM engine on the other hand was a pig to start at any time lol

Both my blackout and km Baja have 26cc CY and tbh have more power than the stock 30.5cc and the 29cc that used to be in them :-)

Love the sound, smell and power the 2 stroke give :-0

• 10 years later...

I have to agree - the CY 26cc Engine that I had in my Baja 5B SS is 14 years old, on the original clutch shoes (inside a TR enclosed clutch case) - and it's never missed a beat.  It's such an under rated engine. 

People were always in such a hurry to swap it out for this that or the other - but I never saw the replacements they shelled out on resulting in better running. 

My CY 26 always starts using the same procedure.  3 presses on the bulb. 1 pull on the cord with the choke closed. Then usually 1 or 2 pulls on the cord with the choke open. 

On the curly silver tuned pipe, it rips and sounds like a MX bike. It's bonkers. 

Gotta love 2 stroke petrol engines!! 😍IMG_20200520_114542.thumb.jpg.1995c9c2050434c2246cfb4f0fffd69c.jpgIMG_20200520_114536.thumb.jpg.1d0861809b2c1177485a0953b289c8aa.jpgIMG_20200520_114141.thumb.jpg.8c3991c90419bd08594912f772e0ace0.jpgIMG_20200607_133022.thumb.jpg.f7718046c0b70c65e3e1bc830cc2002e.jpg

Anywhere that sell new cy 26cc motors? found some rough looking used ones on eBay for around £130/140 mark I know from looking at the motor in my second hand km that it still has a km motor I assume the km 23cc 2 bolt engine from what I can see as it has KM stamped on the side of the block and looking for a reliable motor 

2 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Anywhere that sell new cy 26cc motors? found some rough looking used ones on eBay for around £130/140 mark I know from looking at the motor in my second hand km that it still has a km motor I assume the km 23cc 2 bolt engine from what I can see as it has KM stamped on the side of the block and looking for a reliable motor 

Here's a link to the CY 26cc engine - this one is a 4 bolt engine though - my Fuelie CY 26cc is a 2 bolt. 

IRC CY 26cc Engine

There's also the CY 29cc engine here:

RC Modelz CY 290

Is just me - but my CY 26cc engine seemed to get stronger as it aged. I'm 100% expecting the piston/ring/cylinder to need changing, but it just keeps on going. 

And that curly wurly silver tuned exhaust with the SS might be loud, but it rips! 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, horatio said:

Here's a link to the CY 26cc engine - this one is a 4 bolt engine though - my Fuelie CY 26cc is a 2 bolt. 

IRC CY 26cc Engine

There's also the CY 29cc engine here:

RC Modelz CY 290

Is just me - but my CY 26cc engine seemed to get stronger as it aged. I'm 100% expecting the piston/ring/cylinder to need changing, but it just keeps on going. 

And that curly wurly silver tuned exhaust with the SS might be loud, but it rips! 

Don’t even know if the motor runs yet just going on the principal of it’s not 🤣hopefully I can find out at the weekend weather permitting but want to get a new decent engine anyway 👍

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Don’t even know if the motor runs yet just going on the principal of it’s not 🤣hopefully I can find out at the weekend weather permitting but want to get a new decent engine anyway 👍

Well even if your engine is toast, the replacement engines are unbelievably good value from £139. IMO much better value than your typical glow engine. 

Hell - you can get a Zen G320 for less than £289 and they produce great torque. 👍

Hopefully you'll get a few more miles out of the one you're getting. 🤞

Let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, horatio said:

Well even if your engine is toast, the replacement engines are unbelievably good value from £139. IMO much better value than your typical glow engine. 

Hell - you can get a Zen G320 for less than £289 and they produce great torque. 👍

Hopefully you'll get a few more miles out of the one you're getting. 🤞

Let us know how it goes. 

I was told to stay clear of the cheap engines but as I’ll only use it a couple times a month the cheap ones make a bit more sense money wise but do fully understand that the quality and longevity of the motor won’t be the same as the more expensive units but I don’t mind tinkering with it more often I’ll probably get more enjoyment from doing so 🤣I’m itching to get started but the time and weather is not on my side 🙄

• Like 1

@horatio if you’re interested the motor is a no go very little compression the carb is looking in a sorry state just looks very very abused have no idea how the previous owner treated it so I’m looking at buy this as a replacement https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/engines/complete-engines/30dn-29cc-4-bolt-engine.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

@horatio if you’re interested the motor is a no go very little compression the carb is looking in a sorry state just looks very very abused have no idea how the previous owner treated it so I’m looking at buy this as a replacement https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/engines/complete-engines/30dn-29cc-4-bolt-engine.html

The engine you've shown looks like a bargain. A chrome version was sold (new other) yesterday on Ebay for £144 before shipping. 

There are all sorts of top end options for the 4 bolt engines, but it will likely be perfectly fine as is. 👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, horatio said:

The engine you've shown looks like a bargain. A chrome version was sold (new other) yesterday on Ebay for £144 before shipping. 

There are all sorts of top end options for the 4 bolt engines, but it will likely be perfectly fine as is. 👍

I’m looking at this motor now £20 more but more POWER (say it like Clarkson) https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/30-5cc-rc-car-engine-4-bolt-w-walbro-997.html

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

I’m looking at this motor now £20 more but more POWER (say it like Clarkson) https://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/30-5cc-rc-car-engine-4-bolt-w-walbro-997.html

Dont get caught up in the bigger cc better thing, What chassis are you fitting it to ???

I ran a  tuned 23cc in a Lauterbacher supercross that would out run most things on the straight, Just my rubbish driving that let it down lol.

The bigger cc do have more touque but you dont need that in a 2wd you need higher revs that will give you more top end, Its a balancing game between revs and touque the more you have of one the less you have of the other.  for me i wouldnt go bigger than a good 26 in a 2wd . 

• Like 2

Totally agree with the above, but a torquey engine can be geared right up. 

My CY 26cc engine with super loud, shiny, curly SS pipe was super fast in a straight line. 

Cars modded with a lot of heavy alloy will no doubt benefit from tuned engines - and the bigger they are, the more potential there is for higher HP. 

"ain't no replacement for displacement" 

🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rover Man said:

Dont get caught up in the bigger cc better thing, What chassis are you fitting it to ???

I ran a  tuned 23cc in a Lauterbacher supercross that would out run most things on the straight, Just my rubbish driving that let it down lol.

The bigger cc do have more touque but you dont need that in a 2wd you need higher revs that will give you more top end, Its a balancing game between revs and touque the more you have of one the less you have of the other.  for me i wouldnt go bigger than a good 26 in a 2wd . 

It’s a baja 5b I ordered the 29cc as I believe that’s what was in it anyway 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an aside, after a winter in the shed, I found starting my Baja 5B SS was easier with a little helping squirt of petrol directly into the cylinder. 

I removed the plug, used a syringe with 2.5ml of petrol and just squirted it in. 

I'm wary of getting too carried away with pressing the Primer bulb much, as this can flood the engine if you're not careful. 

Generally, the Fuelie 26cc is incredibly easy to start. But if the engine is left to get dry, direct injection into the cylinder saves alot of stress on your pull starter. 👍

32 minutes ago, horatio said:

As an aside, after a winter in the shed, I found starting my Baja 5B SS was easier with a little helping squirt of petrol directly into the cylinder. 

I removed the plug, used a syringe with 2.5ml of petrol and just squirted it in. 

I'm wary of getting too carried away with pressing the Primer bulb much, as this can flood the engine if you're not careful. 

Generally, the Fuelie 26cc is incredibly easy to start. But if the engine is left to get dry, direct injection into the cylinder saves alot of stress on your pull starter. 👍

My grandad used to put a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil straight into the cylinder over winter with his 2 stroke garden tools always started no problem just a bit smoky for a couple of minutes until the oil burned off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

My grandad used to put a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil straight into the cylinder over winter with his 2 stroke garden tools always started no problem just a bit smoky for a couple of minutes until the oil burned off

That's a great idea - effectively after run oil (or before run oil 😅) - what better oil to use than your choice of 2 stroke oil. 👌

I think my Baja had such a spell in the garage that it had air in the fuel line and I'm not convinced my primer bulb was pushing anything but air through the carb. 

I think my next job will be a fresh set of fuel lines, a new bulb and fuel filter/clunk. Might go crazy and fit a new tank too. 

Then try another speed run. 😝

Screenshot_20230411_164346.thumb.jpg.f3bb3dc71a645c35d089c457eb0a116d.jpg

• Like 2