• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any large open places to do speed runs?

Mo.

Hey Peeps,

Didn't know where to post this, so just did it in here.

I'm looking for a large open tarmac type place to do some speed runs with my truck that I am currently building. Ideal locations would be like a abandoned runway, but suppose nothing like this exists! Or raceways or something like this.

I'm having a hard time finding anything. I am in London, but I am willing to travel around the country for the right place.

So if anyone has some good places they know of, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks

Mo.

Yes, all good ideas, but the problem is I can't find them, that's what I'm asking lol

Tried roads and industrial estates already, and the curbs are a problem, I need a wide unrestricted area, already caused the truck to drive into the crub causing sparks, was awesome lol. They're just not long enough or safe enough.

What the bloody hell are you building to need such space, surly a few hundred meters is enough.

Super market car park should be fine, unless your talking speeds of in access of 100mph.

Sent from the Iphone via talktapa

lol...nothing as serious as it sounds. Just need the length to get to top speeds, and I would rather do it in a large open area away from anything that could get damaged.

Rossa, the next event is now next year if I'm right...? I just did a google search. Is this the only time you can use the airfield?

Dunno where in London you are, but there's an old disused runway at wisley. About 2 miles long. Opposite side of the A3 to wisley gardens.

Gotta be honest, I haven't been there for a very long time, but its still visible on google satellite view. Also don't know the condition of the surface, it may be a bit broken up in places by now??

If you turn south onto the A3 at junction 10 of the M25 there are a couple of small side turnings on the left just after you join the A3.

You'll have to park up and lug it for a short while til your on the runway from what I can remember.

If its a long way from you best see if anyone else knows for sure you can still get on it before you waste the petrol. It was probably over 20 yrs ago since my mum took me and my mates up there to ride our bmxs around.

Thanks for the info Rich. I found some info on the airfield, currently an application has been submitted to make some sort of refuse centre I think on the land which has been permitted. So not so sure if I could get on the land. Worth a try though, so thanks for the info, this is the sort of info I'm after.

Again then shopping car parks are plenty big enough, my baja gets to top speed in a guess of 4-5 seconds.

Another guess but surly can't be that far out and say 25 meters max, shopping centres, Country lanes that aren't used often.

But if you was building a rocket powered or jet powered then I'd say runway.

Sent from the Iphone via talktapa

Hi

Yes the next speed event is in April next year but we can use the airfield mid week and possibly some weekends through the winter when they are not using it. Just send me a PM when you are ready to do some testing and we can arrange a date. I want to test the drive train of my open IC car so will be down to the track soon

What are you looking at testing?

Cheers

Hey Mo,

Come join us at the next ROSSA event :) here is where the events are held http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=CV37+8LL&rlz=1C1LENN_enGB495GB495&sugexp=chrome%2Cmod%3D0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=ZcaCUO_MB86a0QWIhYGoBA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

for up to date information please feel free to check the ROSSA facebook page ;)

Ive been much in the same position as yourself I live in east berkshire but you wont find anywhere better for for testing how fast your RC goes than at the ROSSA track :good: I've found the odd place that looks ok but curbs and lack of run off are always the problem when i think I have found the ideal location lol

There used to be one near little hay golf club in Hemel Hempstead too.

Just down the road a bit on the right.

Used to just be used for car boot sales at the weekend, and car park for a paintball outfit nearby, but always used to be empty during the week.

Old info again tho, not been there for about 5 years.

Thanks for the replies guys, this is more like what I'm talking about! I think I'll deffo be going to the ROSSA event, looks like it will be a lot of fun!

I know what you mean about the curbs, this is exactly the same problem I'm having.

Mo.

I worked in london a few years back. We were on land opposite London city airport. The other side of the thames

It was waste land with a road running through it near one of the expo centres, Royal docks. It was used for take off and landing the red bull airrace planes but like I said it was years ago and could possibly have an olympic valleys located on it now......

Edited by ShadowDEMON88

ive been looking for a place like this for the last year, no luck. either find a big road on x mas day or go rossa next year.

we found one place to speed testing petrol cars but my car tops out at 75mph and runs out of space but the fg is still accelerating.

we go industrial estate on sunday also but the road isnt long enough for the speeds that the cars can reach m , also got a bend in it, i crashed into the curb on sunday on a 70mph run , wont be going there again. .

i wanted to go rossa last year, its far from me(east midlands) but that didnt really put me off, just got real busy around the time.

Its got to the point where we are thinking of using big quiet roads that are in use but very quiet, just make sure you have spotters and dont do anything silly that will put anyone in danger.

good luck with the speed quest.

Edited by marder 78

What about the M96??

Never heard of it? Neither had I until a couple of days ago. It belongs to the fire brigade and is not joined to the public road system.

Thanks AJ, Didn't see these replies. I did a quick search on this and looks quite interesting. Does look like it might be a good place to have a go, not close though, so would I just be able to go there and test my truck with no problems?

Thanks Shadowdemon, the london city airport oppposite area also sounds good. As I'm fairly close to there I might take a drive down there and see if there is anything decent there too.

I know exactly what you mean marder, this is the whole reason why I'm looking for this particular type of area to test on, its safer for me, and with the lack of anything or anybody around, its safer for others too. Thats why I want to avoid retail car parks, roads with curbs and industrial areas. I want to eliminate the danger of damage to others as much as possible.