• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

freezing temps and nitro

ts4n

I have always kept my stuff the house but now I have a new born about ta arrive any day I have set up a work shop in the garage my question is now its getting colder what effects will this have on my gear ?

How would you warm up the engine while out?

Wrap the base of the engine in foil. Then stick the model inside your car and stick the heaters on it! Works a charm for me and means no faffing about with a hair dryer!

while you can start any engine from cold,i find a engine heater helps{make your own or buy one and run it off the starter box}i aint used one during summer,but the last month i started useing them again,and the engine been starting quicker,but you dont have to have one,just my choice during the winter months

When I first bought my Revo 3.3 it was just starting to get cold, so I would leave the Revo above a house radiator perhaps 30 minutes before I was going to use it - outside the house.

Well maintained, these things don't smell much anyway.

After a good blast, I'll leave the particular truck outside the house to cool for 10 minutes, then just inside the front door, then it's happy days.

BTW - we've just had our second boy, 2 days ago.

Al.

• Like 1

Grats on the addition to the family, atom! :thumbsup:

When running on-road, my car is nearby. So I tend to wrap the engine with foil before hand & leave it in my car with the heaters pointed on it for 2-3mins. Start it up with the foil on and leave it until it's close to running temperature then take it off for the bashing!

Then for the cooldown, I wrap it in foil again while its hot and stick it back in the car so it can cool gradually.

Might be overkill, but it kept my RS42 alive for years!

Apologies for the thread hijack as well.

Just wanted to make the point that I have children as well.

Yeah, nitros are temperature, read air density sensitive, and it's definitely a bonus to warm them up before you fire up.

Al.

And many thanks to all well-wishers.

Born Saturday evening 20:28 at 3.24Kg.

Released Sunday afternoon.

Mother and baby doing very well - mummy just a tad tired and sensitive!!

Al.

in the cold (if you have no heater)when you stop the motor after a run, open the needles a full turn cos if you leave the motor cool down it will be hard get fuel back in cos the gap in the needle gets smaller with the engine getting cool.it doesn,t really be a issue in the summer but in winter guys tune the engine, stop it cools down and they cant restart it cos motor is starved of fuel due to the gap being restricted due to the cold. keep it in mind

Congratulations mate where off to the hospital tomoz for to be induced

Yea been looking at plans to make a heater got my cat food tin ready lol just need a few bits to make it

Inside house storage has additional considerations after use, particularly if bashing in undergrowth - grass, etc.

Many's the time I look at the newspaper onto which I've placed a particular 'dirty and bashed' RC, dying off, to see all manner of little beast crawling over it.

I'll often give it a good spraying of bug spray before bringing inside, or when inside anyway, to limit all of these bugs becoming a domestic nuisance!!

Al.

I am lucky, I stay on a farm. I just open the garage door and

go. Up till now I haven't gave much thought to pre heating.

what would be my choices:

Hair drier,

heat gun,

A special doo dah ?

Congrats to the dads again.

some one on here has made his own engine warmer using a small tin can a car headlight bulb and a battery. i'll get back to you with that thread it was on.homemade pre heater for winter bashing. this thread is on here have a look to warm the engine. i'll this thumps up.

Edited by rc gazcan