• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

6WD Punisher Build Thread!

luke1983

Got to say when I first read the title I thought "oh no, another non starter" but I'm glad to say I'm surprised and you've done a cracking job on that so far.

I really do like 6wheel and 8wheel projects (albeit usually electric scaler style ones) but I've got a feeling this is going to be amazing when finished.

Looking forwards to more updates and seeing it running.

Why thank you, I did consider doing a 10th/12th scale leccy crawler type version but they've already been done a few times and they aren't cheap either.

I think the size and noise of this will be worth the effort. I've an idea about getting an exhaust pipe that will look in some way like a scale truck, as in behind the cab at the top. This is just my imagination at the mo as I haven't a clue about exhausts, I want it to enhance the trucks performance too as it's only running the stock 23cc and I reckon it might struggle a bit with extra weight & drive train stress.

I hope I don't dissapoint you mate!

Edited by luke1983

• 3 weeks later...

That's the inspiration Nige! Thanks for all the comments guys, Oli, we'll have to find out when I get back mate! I ought to say that I'm away with work for a few months now so I won't be updating the thread fora while; It will be ressurected though fear not!

• 2 months later...

I'm gunna use this post as a record of all the parts I have bought over the last couple of months (I'll edit it as I buy stuff) to help make sure it is all there when I get home - It'll also help me figure out how much I've spent on the beast!

1) Set of Dune Reaper tyres (

Edited by luke1983

• 2 months later...

Right folks,

time for the ressurecction...

I've finished her off as far as being a runner goes and took her out for a test spin this afternoon.  It's a beast!  Goes over anything, refused to get stuck after trying quite hard to do so & it goes like hell too which i'm chuffed with as its only running the stock 23mm - I can't wait to see what it'll do with the tuned exhaust on! The fun only stopped because a wheel fell off - must have forgot to threadlock the grub screws!  No biggy as the FG truck wheel cover held all the expensive bits in, just need some grub screws now.  Easy fix.

All I've got to do now is fitthe exhausts, come on Rinus, get the shell painted, I've emailed Mark at Outlaw Graphics and get the body mounts done which I'm part way through sorting out with the help of Nige at Freeprawn.

There is a few pics below with a rough mock up using cardboard of the finished truck.  Hope you like!

gallery_15232_2095_480613.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_1570737.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_468037.jpg

• Like 1

Been for another spin this morning.  It's great been off work!  Besides blinding weather it was not a bad hour or so down there.  However...

First thing was the pull start rope snapped.  Pretty easy fix for that though I did lose another wheel.  Exactly the same as happened before, the grub screws are still in (I found them after looking the other night), the FTX to HPI adapter seems to be slipping off the axle.  I've re-thread-locked and tightened them up good.  This run also highlighted a few other areas where screws need changing to nuts and bolts so I'm quite chuffed with it despite the next bit. :thumbsup:

The biggest problem I've had is that it keeps on bogging down now & often cuts out when I try to accelerate.  It didn't do this yesterday and was smashing over everything in its way. Not so today- the slightest hill would stop it quite literally dead in its tracks.  I had a fiddle with the LSN which did get it restarted but it still kept on cutting out.  Quite  a lot of smoke under acceleration which means too rich if i'm right?  However, if it is too rich I thought that it stammered and tried to take off but this just bogs and dies if i don't release the stick. Also the plug looks mint if a little shiny and black.

Any help/pointers appreciated please guys.  I never got particularly good at tuning nitro's hence the move to petrol but I've never really done it before although I've read a few guides this morning.  I've linked to a video on photobucket.  I tried to embed it but failed. :confused:

Video shows what I'm on about. Sorry the vid is a bit crappy and the driving is so terrible; I was doing both at once. Not easy!!

Edited by luke1983

This is weird Luke, could there be an air leak anywear? Tried going back to base settings? And have you changed the fuel mixture at all? Must say love how it goes over things looks like it will be awesome when the engine is sorted.  One last thing is everything running smooth, you can tell just try and move the car by turning the gear to see if it seems hard at all to make the beast move. 

ATB Oli

This is weird Luke, could there be an air leak anywear? Tried going back to base settings? And have you changed the fuel mixture at all? Must say love how it goes over things looks like it will be awesome when the engine is sorted.  One last thing is everything running smooth, you can tell just try and move the car by turning the gear to see if it seems hard at all to make the beast move. 

ATB Oli

Could be an air leak but I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking or even how you'd go about detecting it?? I only played with the LSN as it was the only one I could remember the base settings for and it seemed to be an acceleration problem.  I'll try to find out the stock setting and set the carb to stock before the next outing. The fuel mixture has been sat in the garage for a while but I gave it a good shake before putting it in so can't see that effecting it? Might be wrong though!

If you like that you should have seen it yesterday, it was driving up that kerb easy!

I noticed that the second/middle shock tower was working loose which is why i gave upon the bash today as I didn't have any M4 nuts & bolts on me.  Didn't think about that but it would have put extra strain on the drive train I suppose. I don't suppose you found out what that shop in town is called did you.  Could do with a visit there tomorrow!

Hope your bash is good tonight mate and you sort out the problem your having.

• 2 weeks later...

you guys are amazingly mental lol as if there not to big already it is truly awsome tho but for me the fg 1/6 is too much hassle going to and from the field bashing my ankles all the way their and back lol. could you use a modded kawasaki kx 50cc engine in something like this.

i did a 6x6 build during the winter using a Cen Matrix

Looking good mate.  I wish I could get it done that quick!!  I've been working on this for about a year now!  Well done!  How does it go?

you guys are amazingly mental lol as if there not to big already it is truly awsome tho but for me the fg 1/6 is too much hassle going to and from the field bashing my ankles all the way their and back lol. could you use a modded kawasaki kx 50cc engine in something like this.

I'll take that as a compliment! I think!?

It all started with the Truck Stop Racing Nitro 6 which I soon found out was out of production.  I think the guy who used to build them had passed away or summat.

I then did a bit of digging and came up with converting my Savage to 6WD inspired by these guys but kept running into dead ends trying to get in touch with them.

My sights then moved onto the RC4WD The Beast but just couldn't deal with that kind of outlay for it especially as the reviews weren't all that good.

Then I came across Nige from Freeprawn's 6WD punisher and my mind was made up so here I am!  Just applying the liquid mask for the shell tonight & hopefully spray it tomorrow evening.  Still waiting on the pipes to arrive then I can finalise my design for the body mount.

EDIT:  Also, meant to say that I'm sure you could stick whatever engine you wanted in it but to be honest it goes like stink with just a 23cc! As said pipe still to come too!! And besides all that its not really built for speed - i'd be too worried about crashing it and destroying it if it went any faster! Plus I'd be worried about it wrecking the drive train so I'll be sticking with the stock motor; at least until it gives up!!.

Edited by luke1983

If this is the man from Freeprawn, Maybe he could let us in on what is going on with the punisher availability, Or lack of, And why Freeprawn suddenly have no stock like everyone else.

It goes pretty well now, I had to take the rear wheel steering of it as it cooked the clutch and then it wouldn't draw the fuel from the tank as it was to far back but now its back in its original place it works OK. I'm going to run it in a quarry at the weekend to see how it handles the bumps and hill's and I might be able to get some video footage.