• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What's Your R/C Story

rcwater

This is a thread where you post how you got into R/Cs and how you got your R/Cs and what you do with your R/Cs.

Here's Mine...

I started by getting a big cheap rc camaro from radio shack from my grandpa for christmas when I was 5 yrs old. I ran that up until 2008 when my friend stepped on it and broke the wheel. I was able to get a new one but it was $$. Then the same year, the gearbox split and gears fell all over. I couldn't figure out how to put it back together, so I figured I got enough use out of it and I just junked it. But back in 2007 I got a Tamiya copy 4x4 for my birthday. That was pretty nice. I loved that truck. It ran fast and powerful. Did 35mph. But then some parts broke and I sorta lost interest in it. But in 2009, my Dad bought an Evader St off of craigslist. It was in sad condition. (Servo ruined, worn tires, bad battery, no body, needed adjustments,etc.) So dad and I bought a couple metal servos and some new tires and rims. Got a body off ebay, and adjusted it like the instruction manuel said to. I went threw 6 brushed motors with that thing. Then I once again lost interest. So here in January of 2012, I decide to make this my official hobby. So I upgraded my Evader with metal gears, big pinions, 3S brushless motor and esc, bumpers and wheelie bar, and change the whole drive terrain. Now it's ready but I just have to get a 3S lipo battery and charger. My mom is against it and wants me to get another hobby because she thinks it's too expensive. Well, I don't know. I plan to stay with it. :)

my grandad bought my a firestorm copy for my 12th birthday

had an electric start on (like tmaxx) which kept failing so my 14th bday my got got me an eb4 s2 (my current project as im having a few problems with it )

when the problem occured with this i bought an mta4 s28 fully working (

Hi, I had a "silver fox" when I was 10, it had a 2 speed gearbox & proportinal steering, when everyone else's was either IR or handclap controlled ,lol .Then I got a tamiya "rough rider" It was a true shelf queen, the grub screws that held the front sus together stripped after a few days. My dad ended up making a front sus from scratch,the only original part was the gearbox.But some pillock with an overpowered CB radio took over it & it ploughed into a curb at full belt:/ . Then I gave up & did bmx for a bit,then mtb for years. I bought a T maxx 3.3, & cracked the engine, stupid having it sticking out like that. I spent

• Like 1

I bought a King Blackfoot from Beatties in Liverpool plus fast/slow charger and Acoms radio gear.

I packed it into my suitcase when I returned to Guinee, West Africa, and assembled it using a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of scissors ...

Had great fun chasing the local dogs, until I lost it at full throttle .... !!

Fell into a ditch - no water fortunately and fully recovered.

Sold it to the local Customs Chief before I left.

About the same time, I bought a 306 Maxi and a Juggernaut 2 - these 3 were my first RC's - forget which was first!

I don't race, just like 'spannering' and messing around with RC's.

Al.

bought a cheapy hsp savagery new off ebay, wont do that agian lol, joined this forum and saw some of the awesome cars i could of got and

bought a hyper 7 killed the engine, converted it to leccy, killed the esc, got peed off with it and sold it only to buy another nitro (Hpi savage 25) which again i haven't had much luck with :( i really hope one day to have a good reliable car but it seems to be just me ( id like to have a savvy flux/erevo/summit when im rich lol)

ps i got given an old mardave marauder from my uncle some time ago which was a hoot to drive :D unfortunately i sold the starter box to fund the hyper conversion

I bought a nitro at 14, not clue what it was. I then had a couple of leccy's, a TC and a buggy. Then at 15 bought a Nitro 21 then a XTR3e. Marder at 16, had all sorts since then but last year I had my first brushless and now I will never go back.......ever!

Edit: I still have the XTR3e, maybe I should sort it out......

Edited by DannyP

I started out with silly little cars like a charG, tyco fast traxx and the hovercraft version (i was like 7-8 at the time) got to 15 and bought myself a kyosho 2wd TC, was the Frank Biela audi A4, had a 10 year gap then got a TT01 Z4M version, then a slash 2wd after i gave the TT to my ex brother in law, now have a TT01,TL01, 1:8 inferno VE, FTX Blaze and a mardave V12, all brushless. Only one that is working is my VE, TT01 is running 2wd so not technically working.

Started when i was about 10 going to model shop which was about 50yds down from me. Got a saturday job there and the owner used to take me racing. I saved n saved till i could get a tamiya hot shot and ran that for ages! from then i've had allsorts too many to list. The rest is twenty odd years history:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

my brother bought me a hpi savage xss kit for my birthday, i then ended up breaking the piston and rebuilt the engine which then managed to get a chipped skirt but it still runs to this day. i bought a hpi trophy second hand which had a low compression engine in it, i was going to buy another engine for it but before i got the chance my xss roller and hpi trophy were stolen from my shed. claimed off the insurance and then bought a hpi savage x and a schumacher manic. i upgraded the savage over time with a couple of new engines and flm chassis, lst shocks, mid tank mod etc. its now my pride and joy and i hope never to sell it. i bought a custom built hyper 7 that had never been ran it had a picco .28 in it and was really quick. i ended up getting rid of the manic so i could convert my hyper 7 to brushless and have regretted it since :( my hyper was then converted using a hobbykig 150a esc and a turnigy trackstar 2560kv motor, which was then upgraded to a leopard 4282. my esc smoked and i bought a new one. most recently i bought a dx3s and made a few custom bits and bobs for my hyper.

thats pretty much my entire story so far

This is a thread where you post how you got into R/Cs and how you got your R/Cs and what you do with your R/Cs.

Here's Mine...

I started by getting a big cheap rc camaro from radio shack from my grandpa for christmas when I was 5 yrs old. I ran that up until 2008 when my friend stepped on it and broke the wheel. I was able to get a new one but it was $$. Then the same year, the gearbox split and gears fell all over. I couldn't figure out how to put it back together, so I figured I got enough use out of it and I just junked it. But back in 2007 I got a Tamiya copy 4x4 for my birthday. That was pretty nice. I loved that truck. It ran fast and powerful. Did 35mph. But then some parts broke and I sorta lost interest in it. But in 2009, my Dad bought an Evader St off of craigslist. It was in sad condition. (Servo ruined, worn tires, bad battery, no body, needed adjustments,etc.) So dad and I bought a couple metal servos and some new tires and rims. Got a body off ebay, and adjusted it like the instruction manuel said to. I went threw 6 brushed motors with that thing. Then I once again lost interest. So here in January of 2012, I decide to make this my official hobby. So I upgraded my Evader with metal gears, big pinions, 3S brushless motor and esc, bumpers and wheelie bar, and change the whole drive terrain. Now it's ready but I just have to get a 3S lipo battery and charger. My mom is against it and wants me to get another hobby because she thinks it's too expensive. Well, I don't know. I plan to stay with it. :)

do you know your post contains 3 virus links? not very nice. lucky i got good virus protection

• Like 1

well, it all started off rediculas! the car was way to high speck for a first car.... Its was a traxxas revo 3.3. my dad bought it for me at about 8 or 9 year old and it was great! my dad tuned it and it wasnt too bad! then only 1 year and half ago my mum and dad bought me a erevo vxl and was and still is amazing! bout 4 months ago i bought a erevo brushless. my dream car! anyway, thats my story and its still going!!! :)

Had a Tamiya Falcon when I was about 8 or 9. Loved it, and recently passed a model shop when visiting Edinburgh and saw the re-issued Hornet. I knew straight away that I wanted back in!

Made a model of my dad's old racing mini (the car in my avatar), took it racing for a while, then bought an E-Firestorm, now have sold the Mini, and have the hyper 7e and a TT01 drifter on the go.

My lady was with me in Scotland when I first saw the model and has generally supported my insane spending over the last 6 months. Now though, it is being cited as one of the reasons our relationship isn't working as she wants marriage, kids and grown up things, and I want to play with big toys! So RC has had a profound effect on me in a very short time.

I got given a tamiya ta02 pilot cosworth when i was about 10 the gearboxs shatterd and just left it in the loft, then my grandad bought me a tamiya sand blaster?, i broke that and put it in the loft. Age of 14, got it all back down looked at it and decided it was all nackerd so it went back in. Age of 15 i bought a tamiya focus nitro (cant remember the model) i broke that and put that in the loft, age of 16 i started buying the weekly ts4n build kit i done half and put it in the loft. Age of 18 pulled it all down and sold it all, then bought a cen mg16, a ts4n and 2 cen touring models, sold them and bought a schumacher menace 21r (still got it but now its a project). Age of 20 got hold of a fg marder on a trade in (automatically hooked on 1/5th now) and just bought a ansmann deuce brushless.

My loft is a rc scrapyard, i think theres some more models up there somewere.

Always loved cars since the age of like 5,always loved tinkering with stuff and knowing how it works etc :lol:

Discovered RC at the age of around 17 (5 years ago) ,and started off with a Kyosho Alpha 4wd electric tourer - Loved it soo much!

Then got onto Tamiya's and hell broke loose :rofl: Got into everything then ,tourers,off roaders,buggys,Mt's,scalers,rock crawlers,vintage,modern,mint,projects,runners or battered and then progressed onto other Rc's such as petrol's and nitro's under different brands.

Now i mainly build for display purposes (Shelf queens),and take out the odd car once in a while,but i've lost count of how many cars i've owned in the past.....the hobby is seriously a BIG addiction and a money blower,but still it causes no harm and is enjoyed :D ...keeps me out of trouble :xd:

Edited by 53HRA

well well well....me ive always bin into cars etc like most starting driving my dads nissan bluebird when i was about 7 then moved on to his mk2 fiesta xr2 i and man i love that car was like a go cart with pepper pot wheels lol then i think i was braught some cheap namco thing i think witch i broke driving of walls etc pmsl then had a remote controlled tonka truck and i used to get a big hammer and break all my little cars and pretend that the tonka truck did it lol i was abit destructive ..........

then as time progress a few years ago my missus braught me a HSP XSTR BUGGY witch in a sense i wish i still had i swapped it for a xbox 360.....then found out my neboure raced indoor tc had a go with that and here i am again.......

watched loads of vids on youtube and decided i wanted a crawler so got my self a scx10 then i got made redudent then i was made a house husband so started watching vids of drifting and thought i like the look of drifting and got a tl01 then a tt01 then another tl01 then a schumacher sst and a ((sportwerks recoil 1/16 up for sale)) and dont think ill go back to no rc's since sighning up on here ive met loads of great people learned alot about the hobby and i try to pass that on to help other people where i can

so im here now YOU try and get rid of me pmsl :whistling::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by kaylan