• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

Same as smash said ive read the hw sc8 ist great for low voltage cut off or auto cell detection. Get the 2in1 card to programme it easier. You can use the turnigy version hobbyking sells too.  I think theres a 3rd brand too hw escs work with. 

I havent read about many or any sc8s frying tho mayb onenon wp type.  

I smoked a hw60 esc on 3s once in flux reload v2  form the smoke was like a cigar too but no problem it carried on as if nothing happend. I surged it by slamming it down after it jumped into life full rpm so I slammed in on the floor I learnt you cant do that then tho lol. 

Im still really basic on brushless set ups. Can anyone link a good lipo for

ive got the programing card with it. ill try setting the cutoff at 3v. would it be dangerous going any lower lke 2.8 or 2.6? And ill probably get a lipo alarm at some point 

my sc8 is at 3v and seems to be fine but still cuts early. only get 15 mins runtime max

That gens ace sounds good but 30c isnt that abit low for my set up. Castle 3800kv on sc8 is there a way to find out total draw of the set up and get the best lipo to suit. 

I have a multi metre but without lipo cant find out what it draws i dont want to risk anything getting too hot. 

Plus ide prefer an xt60 or trx plug fitted to the lipo but i would go with gens ace for their reputation of safe lipos which is above all else on this purchase lol. 

Quick Googling suggests the motor has a burst amp draw of around 120amps. The SC8 is rated for 120amp continuous. The Gens Ace are rated for 159amp continuous (5300 * 30 / 1000), so you have plenty of headroom there.

It'd be a pretty hefty millimetre to measure the current draw of an RC car. Most are rated to 10amp, maybe 20amp. Not even slightly close to the 120amp here. Plus the max amp draw will be very short and unless you have a peak hold you'd probably not spot it anyway.

my meter does 300A, contactless clamp meter.. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/clampmeters/7870499/

Not entirely sure how to run along at the side of it doing 40mph to read it but it would measure it LOLOL

Edited by Louise-Paisley

Cool, nice meter.

Still, those Gens Ace batteries are rated for 159amp continuous, with probably double that burst, and your motor is rated for about 120amp. The batteries are well suited for the motor.

Edited by Slugsie
  • Like 2

Thank you very much slugsie that's very cool ofyou to check oit up for me I appreciate it mate. 

The 2nd paragragh went over my head tho lol i just thought we could use a volt multimeter to check this stuff on the bench after reading something about it.

But the gens ace sounds very good now and will definitely be safe? 

Would upping the lipo C count to 40-80a be better or worse i actually like the idea of having plug in lipo wires tho it would make soldering easier for me too. Are these style lipos known to burst the plugs in the lipo tho or anything?

Or could i plug the wires in at 90

c rating is how much current they can supply, if the c rating is higher then the pack can deliver easier but there is not a great point in going much higher on the c rating than you actually need..

C = the rated capacity of the pack per hour, so for a 20C 5000mah pack it is 20 x 5000ma or 100000mah or 100ah.. I don't really think there would be any advantage in going for a greater C rating than the linked packs as they will provide more current than your motor is designed to consume.

The connectors into the battery pack are just banana plugs, you can de-solder the wires and re-solder them at 90 degrees is needed to fit the pack, you can also tape them on permanently if you wish. I have heard of a few of the removable wire batteries where the wires are or quickly become loose but I suspect some of those reports may be due to user abuse rather than pack defect - I only use hard wired packs myself, never had any problem soldering new connectors on (I use Xt60 on everything) just remember to only cut and solder one wire at a time and make sure its insulated with heat shrink before doing the next one.

This lipo sounds good but the amps im not sure about would it be as safe as the 30c this is 50c but theres a 40c too. or a 65c for

Edited by Louise-Paisley

The motor is rated at 120A constant so the motor is not going to be able to pull half that current out of that pack..

The motor is 120amp peak, not constant. If it was constant 120amp you would struggle to get 2.5minutes of run time out of a 5000mah battery. Most of the time even high powered setups are coasting along at 10amps or less. If you can get 20 minutes run-time out of a 5000mah battery you are averaging about 16amps. If you consider that hard acceleration is what gives you peaks around the 100amp+ mark then most of the time it's a lot less.

End of the day, the 30C are a great match for the motor and the XS.

Obviously with a hint of maths or common sense it would be abundantly clear it was not 120A constant but..

Long night working + postman coming early with new summit gear change servo = more or less no sleep at all

I will write out 1000 times "I will look at what I type before hitting post"

Maybe :D

• Like 1

So took the xs out today and the Hobbywing system has only been bad impressions so far. 2mins into my run the bloody motor wire comes off!!!! And I layered mee solder on there than I thought possible. So at this point I'm pretty annoyed even though I manage to fix it with electrical tape just so it wasn't a waste of a car journey. So I get it running but I don't know if anyone else experiences this the esc repeatedly cuts out then looses power but still works then cuts out again then it's back to normal power. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes curt out sometimes just a few seconds. I'm beginning to think I should have gone for more expensive electronics

I've gone for 3V cutoff, that works fine for me. I end up with about 20% capacity when it cuts off the first time. 

The wires sounds like bad soldering ;)

• Like 1

Ive still not orderd the lipo yet I have more cash than I excted so want to sit on it now and see

if any rtr cars or something pops up.

I have the odd thought of stripping the xs out too so i can buy a km baja new but thats only a small thought i doubt ill pursue just yet. 

Im just unsure what to do lol so ill just sit on my hands until i know. 

While sitting on my hands a savage 1/8 fell on my lap lol.

I just found these are in the uk big joe 2 tires for mini summit and xs im gutted I didnt see them the other week ide have much rather had them over the dirt works. Just incase anyone else is looking to replace stock flox tires have a look im not 100% theyll be right but pretty sure the tire wall looks big on the desp rims unlike the mini trenchers which was ultra low profile. Ide guess these are 4in or so perfect for xs.

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?productId=0000008115

The savage nitro im waiting for has a rubicon body too so ill have little and large but im hoping a freind will buy the savage for

• Like 1

needs a beach buggy shell.. ;)

It is a battered ! but... Ive splashed out on hyper so its going to have to stay like that for a bit until i save up more haha.

Thats shell is to nice to smash up, might just get a standard one or anything cheap :)