• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

Sounds like the spindle is it...?

The bit that holds the cup haha.

My feedback - http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/187724-Ste001

lol i cant see anything bent...its confusing the hell out of me though!! and anoying me lol.

my phones in for repairs and i seen to of misplaced my camara so i cant take anypics

lol i cant see anything bent...its confusing the hell out of me though!! and anoying me lol.

my phones in for repairs and i seen to of misplaced my camara so i cant take anypics

Got any pics fella? Diagnosis is always easier with eyes on.. Are you sure you put it all back together right, if it's only happening when you turn in a certain direction it suggests to me that either the camber setting is wrong or the end point adjustment is out allowing the dog bone to pop out.. Both of these settings can move the axle cup just far enough out to do this..

Here's my XS SS so far, still a few parts to buy to get it running so will probably be a month or two until it's ready for action.

Posted Image

nice work dave, I'm planning on getting back out shortly. What wheelset are you gonna run?

Got any pics fella? Diagnosis is always easier with eyes on.. Are you sure you put it all back together right, if it's only happening when you turn in a certain direction it suggests to me that either the camber setting is wrong or the end point adjustment is out allowing the dog bone to pop out.. Both of these settings can move the axle cup just far enough out to do this..

nah i cant get any pics up! i was out with it for a good hour and half...and it only started doing it at the very end!

im thinking its probs the epa although i never adjusted it... ill have a look tomo.

i like your body shell dark knight

Edited by jbar3260

not sure on wheels yet but I'll be getting HPI Ground Assault tyres in D compound

gotta be a black rim, I'm liking the translucent blue.. Looks kinda pearlescent..

nah i cant get any pics up! i was ou with it for a good hour and half...and only started doing it at the very end!

im thinking its probs the epa although i never adjusted... ill have a look tomo

I snapped loads of axle cups on my first xs due to poor era set up, the main reason I found was that on the Hpi hubs there is a molded lug on the axle carriers that prevents excessive travel, this isn't present on aftermarket alloy carriers and it allows a badly set epa to release the dog bone from the cups..

ats ace dk could you take a picture of it with some tin foil behind the paint to show how that looks? I might follow on that paint schme one day. But back some of it I bet a black thin tribal would be nice sorter faded look mayb. 

Are you going to reinforce the rear end to stop the shock tower popping up. Ive been thinking about making a sort of firestorm / rustler type of wing to take the gravel rash. Just some pladticard and 3 nuts or mayb use the carbon.

I went with scorch gun metal rims from wheelspin i was thinking about some crazy offset ones but thought theyd prob snap easily but ide like to find some user reviews on them for sure. 

The scorch rims look pretty chunky on the spokes but my main concern is hexs stripping out makimg my tires worthless is there anything i can do to make them stronger?

Again ive seen some posts saying to put a blob of putty or something in the diff cups to stop the snap action with bones having some slop has anyone tried this? 

Edit.

These are the crazy offset rims i thought about but the spokes look too skinny but i bet it would give atleast an inch wider track.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/53708/

The proline wabash and alligator rims sounded good too but i thought ide play safe with hpi rims. 

Edited by RCbutcher

ats ace dk could you take a picture of it with some tin foil behind the paint to show how that looks? I might follow on that paint schme one day. But back some of it I bet a black thin tribal would be nice sorter faded look mayb.

Are you going to reinforce the rear end to stop the shock tower popping up. Ive been thinking about making a sort of firestorm / rustler type of wing to take the gravel rash. Just some pladticard and 3 nuts or mayb use the carbon.

I went with scorch gun metal rims from wheelspin i was thinking about some crazy offset ones but thought theyd prob snap easily but ide like to find some user reviews on them for sure.

The scorch rims look pretty chunky on the spokes but my main concern is hexs stripping out makimg my tires worthless is there anything i can do to make them stronger?

Again ive seen some posts saying to put a blob of putty or something in the diff cups to stop the snap action with bones having some slop has anyone tried this?

Edit.

These are the crazy offset rims i thought about but the spokes look too skinny but i bet it would give atleast an inch wider track.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/53708/

The proline wabash and alligator rims sounded good too but i thought ide play safe with hpi rims.

I ran those rims on my jato for a few weeks so no durability test but they were plenty wide :) try em out and report back..

I snapped loads of axle cups on my first xs due to poor era set up, the main reason I found was that on the Hpi hubs there is a molded lug on the axle carriers that prevents excessive travel, this isn't present on aftermarket alloy carriers and it allows a badly set epa to release the dog bone from the cups..

ive sorted it now i think it was a mish mash of everything tbh so ive messed around with the epa and the steering links...

plus ive packed out the cups! cheers smash :thumbsup:

i think i might order them wheels aswell...ill see if modelsport have them though, i ordered some bits from wheelspin last week and they still havent arived....the bank says ive paid but the order isnt showing on the wheelspin acount

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments about my body shell, I can't wait to get the wee beastie running  :xd:  I think you've right smash, it's gotta be black rims, although I do have a set of yell rims which I was thinking of using as a set of race wheels at the local track just for a bit of fun.

Butcher, I'll get a photo with tinfoil behind the shell for you tomorrow  :thumbsup:  Those rims looks great, I wouldn't mind a set of those myself if they hold up ok.

Received my Hobbywing sc8 4000kv combo today! Only been a week! I'll post up some pics later and the instillation hopefully be able to use it tomorrow :D

• Like 1

Just finished all the soldering and it turned out ok I think. Forgot about the coloured heat shrink in the bag so just used black for the motor wires soldered directly to the motor. Hopefully it all stays together and I'll install it tomorrow to get my first run in! :D

• Like 2

I've just realise I've been a huge idiot and soldered the motor wires on going strait out towards the rear of the motor when I should have soldered them going up..... Unless anyone could tells if it still fits ill probably have to resolder them :(

Bloody nightmare now I've managed to break off one of the small tabs the motor wires go into. Soldering it directly and it's not holding now with only one tab. Even if I do manage to get a good bond will it affect the motor at all?

all sorted now not the neatest job but i reckon it will hold for a while ;) Anyway now installing and theres more play between pinion and spur than i expected is this normal as its not really adjustable just select the closest holes right?

Succesful first run after a few minor issues. Stock setting on the esc it wont wheelie on 2s :(. Ill try adjusting the punch to level 9 and see if that does it. Not quite as fast as expected but still blood uncontrollable at speed and almost impossible to keep in a strait line. Ill be trying 3s some pint soon :D. I think the Savage XS looks a lot better dusty and dirty than it does clean ;)

glad you sorted out your soldering rctech, can't believe you've managed to snap the tabs though!

Gearing mesh can be adjusted ever so slightly, I've always ran the Hot Racing motor mount with mine and never had any problems getting a good mesh.

What batteries are you running? Depending what ones, I'd be cautious about turning up the punch level, the higher the punch. the higher quality your batteries need to be or you'll kill them.

I'd stick to 2S if you want your truck to survive for long periods :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm running HPI Plazma 2s 5300mah 30c lipos. Not had any problem with them before running in my trophy. I was just a little surprised it would wheelie lol.