• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight upgrades and hop-ups and meny more

Sheilstar12

You will have to cut the angle part of the battery holder on both front parts, I also took side guard screw holes that stick up off of the two middle holes so as to make the battery sit flatter, the ones in mine, this was when I was running small lipos so it is easier to actually point out what part I mean :thumbsup:

d293a97d-17c8-49ce-9229-02f4479d358f_zps

Si

Edited by silone74

Well after the first test at the weekend I thought it about time we put up a thread about some new parts we've been working on for the current micro racers (Carisma, GTB, losi mini 8 and hopefully soon to be LC racing). Please excuse the phone photo quality!!blushing.gif

I should note here that we could produce these for other makes of cars in batches if they were wantedwink.gif We would just need a fresh new part to make the drawings from sent to us.

First up is our Super heavy duty grade 7075 T6 Aluminium alloy or Ti6al4v Titanium Alloy re-enforced carbon fibre shock towers. thumbup.gifw00t.gif

20140222_133759_zps555dd67d.jpg

First up for the Carisma GTB
20140219_121926_HDR_zpsefd2feea.jpg
a240fbce-9ef4-49de-a63e-ea320c151c61_zps

Next up for the Mini 8
IMAG0622_zps932bf2bd.jpg
IMAG0626a_zps9dad120e.jpg

These one's shown on our cars are made from 1.2mm Titanium (biggrin.gif) rebated and resin fixed into 3mm pure carbon fibre. Matt/Scattyv (who to be fair has put the majority of the work into thesewink.gif new products) had the original mk1 prototype of these on his car for over 9months and many hundreds of hours of racing/crashing. To the point that the carbon fibre had broken in many places yet the tower held together and stayed strait. In the same period of time Brimmers (the 3rd part of S.O.S) went through a fair no. (4-6) of carbon towers in the same time from no worse crashes than Matt.

We have altered the profiles of both towers.
In the case of the GTB the changes are for aero rounding the top profile to smooth airflow and also as the alloy/carbon composites are stronger we feel it safe to increase the central hole to aid airflow onto the cab increasing front down force. These also have the extra shock and caber link positions as our standard carbon towers.

In the case of the Mini 8 towers the alterations were pretty much the opposite. increasing the top radius and side profiles of the towers so as to make them stronger and more resilient in this area that takes all the load the hole for airflow is already quite large so was no need to change.

Realistically we will be looking to do small production runs with 1.6mm 7075 T6 Alloy inserts as this will allow us to keep a "relatively" low sale price of

So I broke the carbon secret of speed front tower on my emb and while I was in the mood and after fitting the alloy tower on so I can use it tomorrow I thought I may as well do something I have been meaning to do for ages now and that was to fit the cm26 motor in the m8 so I did, lets see how it fares against the emb's tomorrow, it is the 6800kv version so should give a good account of itself lol it's been sat in my drawer for a llloooooonnnnnggggggg time

20140301_195815-1_zpsx8yh1s8w.jpg

Si

Well it is such a shame that the cm26 motors are not in production any more and now are hard to get hold of and I wish I had fitted this motor before now, I am using 14t pinion on 58t spur, the 6800kv motor is probably abit of a high kv to put in this just for the fact it is a big jump in power and is like a switch with the power coming straight in spinning the wheels up right along to mid range so exciting to drive, maybe a hand full on a track but for bashing it is a fun upgrade, I didn't get a chance to compare it to the emb as it was a quick run but it did appear to be fast and I expect it to be faster than the stock 4 pole in the emb as you might expect from the power difference but not as controllable though and I want to test it side by side with the emb I have with the leopard 5200kv 4 pole in it.

The 4 poles are really usable and controllable there are some 24mm can 4 poles that can be put in the mini 8 that I would see as being a good upgrade to stock and the out runners that people are fitting in these, I still like the mini 8's and hope losi are going to produce a v2.

Si

• 1 month later...

hi guys , i have ordered a Losi mini 8 just waiting for it to arrive.

parts i have ordered so far are;

Carbon fibre top deck with alloy main gear cover (Losi Mini 8IGHT)

3mm Carbon Fibre front shock tower (Losi Mini 8IGHT)

3mm Carbon Fibre rear shock tower (Losi Mini 8IGHT)

Black nylon front wishbones rpm

Black nylon rear wishbones rpm

Wide front bumper rpm

i am looking for places to buy metal spur gears from , but no such luck yet, any ideas?

anyway things left to purchase; Lipos and a charger , are gens ace any good or stick to turnigy?

thanks in advance,

hi guys , i have ordered a Losi mini 8 just waiting for it to arrive.

parts i have ordered so far are;

Carbon fibre top deck with alloy main gear cover (Losi Mini 8IGHT)

3mm Carbon Fibre front shock tower (Losi Mini 8IGHT)

3mm Carbon Fibre rear shock tower (Losi Mini 8IGHT)

Black nylon front wishbones rpm

Black nylon rear wishbones rpm

Wide front bumper rpm

i am looking for places to buy metal spur gears from , but no such luck yet, any ideas?

anyway things left to purchase; Lipos and a charger , are gens ace any good or stick to turnigy?

thanks in advance,

Do not get the steel spur gear, its a waste of time. You end up replacing the pinions near enough every 5 minutes because the steel spur just eats through them. When I tried it I when through 3 pinions in one night racing. My advice would be go for a rw racing spur gear for the mini 8ight. Its

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I forgot how fast the m8 was with the cm26 motor in but think I need to look at getting extra cooling in there or gear it differently doesn't seem hot to touch but it is cutting the power and flashing to hot on the esc :)

20140903_195352-1_zpsuwgudwoy.jpg

Si

I forgot how fast the m8 was with the cm26 motor in but think I need to look at getting extra cooling in there or gear it differently doesn't seem hot to touch but it is cutting the power and flashing to hot on the esc :)

20140903_195352-1_zpsuwgudwoy.jpg

Si

ahaha.. same with mine but i am running the traxxas velineon motor and esc. i find it a-bit slow but to my friends 'it's the fastest thing they have seen'

i have a big problem with my losi mini 8ight, my wheels keep breaking  :shockingscary:

I have been concentrating on my GTB and not used the m8 for awhile and it is faster than any of my mini's, it torque steers lol the tyres don't last long no matter what I use.

Si

I am running a MMP\0808 5300kv and stock gears 16\58. I don't understand the noticeable difference between 4100kv vs 5300kv. I don't get any cogging unless I set control to 50% voltage. On 2s run time is 25min for 1800mah motor temp is 130f on dirt and 170f asphalt with ESC around 170ish. Full power is almost to much to control on dirt until it's at half speed. Had to set punch to medium to be drivable. I don't get any wheelies unless its over a bump the tires just spin(slipper is set a little loose to help) and it just spins sideways if I try to accelerate up a jump. 3s is insane, crazy fun. Motor temps are the same but the esc is around 200f on asphalt. No spur gear problems and mesh is better than it was stock now.I don't know why I saw posts saying the 0808 is not enough motor or it would run to hot in the m8. I understand it would be to much for racing but I'm only bashing. The 4100kv should have more bottom end torque? Bigger can motors would have more torque? Where would I notice this? Less wheel spin? I chewed up the stock tires with the 5300kv after four batteries mostly in dirt just on 2s. 3s is eating themIikee crazy.

Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1

Well I put the bigger heat sink back on the esc and put quite a few more holes in the shell and touch wood it seems to have solved the heat problem but it was a bit cooler when I ran it today so still might need the gearing sorted.

Si

Edited by silone74