• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

23cc To 50cc chain driven FG Marder build | (UPDATE 2)

dlegend

I would think about it very carefully as I think you may be very disappointed with the performance of a 'scooter' engine.

What does it weigh?

Springs will need significant upgrade, at the very least too, based on the extra weight!

I'll be interested to see how the project goes!

it will end up being twin shocks all round. in beta stages it will be just solid bars

I imagine shelf use :lol: but no in all seriousness, I am curious to see how this goes, I HOPE it goes well for you, but again agreeing with Carpmart, I think you'll be a bit disappointed with the overall performance for all the effort and money you'll be throwing at it.

as i say mate i will keep you all updated

Haven't you considered building something from scratch though?

IE my idea of a 100cc Speedfight two engine?

I imagine that would pull a lot better than a 50, and won't weigh much more... Many people have done 57 and 58cc so this isn't going to be all that "unique"... Not meant offensively, just stating a fact like.

Haven't you considered building something from scratch though?

IE my idea of a 100cc Speedfight two engine?

I imagine that would pull a lot better than a 50, and won't weigh much more... Many people have done 57 and 58cc so this isn't going to be all that "unique"... Not meant offensively, just stating a fact like.

but are theres chain driven and i said a 50cc never said it was going to be stock ;)

Out of interest what sort of budget have you got for the project?

i dont have one i have alot of the parts already, chains, sprockets, sheet steel all that stuff Edited by dlegend

Ah right nice 1 :thumbsup:

Make sure you take plenty of pics!! Any thoughts of a shell yet?

standard marder shell. i want it to look standard on the out side and just stupid powerful under the hood/shell Edited by dlegend

Perhaps two of the stock motors would be good. Then you would have the best of both worlds torque and revs wise. And it would look the muts

2 motors together you means not a chance that would not fit might as well get a 2cy engine and chuck it in

Ahhhhh......I thought you were leaving the spur / pinion gear as they were and chain driving the diff from the layshaft gear!! Will be an interesting build :thumbsup:

well the lay shaft will be moved forwards about an inch and a half so yes it will be fully chain driven

thats going to be crazy, way too much but interesting.

im using a small 27cc engine in my marder and the front wheels are constantly in the air. it ruins the way it handles in the twisties(but i use it for straight stuff mainly) ,the marder is short and quite a light car in comparison to some other largescale so even with my small engine i find it too much sometimes, i think 50cc will be way too much,maybe you should move the engine forwards slightly to put weight near the front.

i cant wait to see how you get on, nice to see something different come up nowe and then,nice one.

ps, i guess you have alloy mounts , gearplate and diff holder?

Edited by marder 78

thats going to be crazy, way too much but interesting.

im using a small 27cc engine in my marder and the front wheels are constantly in the air. it ruins the way it handles in the twisties(but i use it for straight stuff mainly) ,the marder is short and quite a light car in comparison to some other largescale so even with my small engine i find it too much sometimes, i think 50cc will be way too much,maybe you should move the engine forwards slightly to put weight near the front.

i cant wait to see how you get on, nice to see something different come up nowe and then,nice one.

i got more pictures being put up tonight with the engine in need to modifie the inlet manifold as its a moto engine i decided to go for so i need more room for the float chamber ahh you will see later on :)

with the engine in

and yes i know i it will run in reverse in its current setup :)

the inlet will need some mods to fit i will just elongate it a little bit to avoid the diff or just swap the carb(edit upon close inspection it is going to have to be a diffrent carb/ a water cooled one due to it having no float chamber(small one) and being alot more powerful so i hear

the engine will also be rasied about quarter of an inch with some steel spaces with a steel plate half walf which will be bolted in the centre

vk3Pz.jpg

6cQrN.jpg

Edited by dlegend
  • Like 1

Whats the point in fitting a heavier and nigh on impossible to fit properly engine that will make at best 3hp, god only knows how you will get an exhaust to fit and even if you do it wont be at all suited to the engine, the only carb worth fitting to a cag engine is an sha 14/14 dellorto which is barely any different in size to the stock carb.

Why do people always assume that bigger cc's = more power as these engines really are gutless and are very low revving in comparison to a standard zenoah etc.

Edited by animal47

Whats the point in fitting a heavier and nigh on impossible to fit properly engine that will make at best 3hp, god only knows how you will get an exhaust to fit and even if you do it wont be at all suited to the engine, the only carb worth fitting to a cag engine is an sha 14/14 dellorto which is barely any different in size to the stock carb.

Why do people always assume that bigger cc's = more power as these engines really are gutless and are very low revving in comparison to a standard zenoah etc.

well this engine is out of my old mini moto which was stupid with a 10stone lump on it. this means i can change the gear ratio and make it even higher due to the less weight plus the engine wont be standard. and its not about the cc's its about having something no one else has. so if you dont like it dont comment simple mate
  • Like 2