• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Touring car Racing!

JayAVFC

I disagree with Regan on pretty much everything there :lol: For chassis, I'd look at what people at the local club run, so you have set-up advice and spares support. For lipos, ROAR approved has no bearing on anything over here, as ROAR is the American governing body. Also, most clubs will let you run any lipo as long as it's hardcased. If you need a BRCA legal lipo, Intellect 6800mah 70C will be great, if not, a hardcased Turnigy Nanotech will be fine. Depending on what classes the club runs, either a Xerun 10.5t or Xerun 13.5t will be what you want. For a servo, there's only one choice, a Savox SC1251. Tyres, Sorex 28JB's work best on carpet and for a shell, it's down to driver preference, some prefer the LTC-R, others prefer the Mazdaspeed 6.

Matt

What I'm saying is about the best advice you'd get. Quality of Power HD servos is hit and miss, Sorex 24's just grip roll and like I said in my first reply, ROAR ruling isn't anything to do with UK racing. Also, my advice pretty much agrees with what Garry says, I just went into more detail. At any club, there will be plenty of people running Xerun combos, there will be people running Intellect Lipos and most people will be running the Sorex 28JB's.

Matt

Edited by Matt_N

Before you start looking at what chassis/tyres/electrics get down to maritime and have a chat with the local racers. Ask them what chassis they use and why. Find out what is popular and what spares support is like. It's much better to go in with a chassis that is commonly used at your local club so the other racers can help get you up to speed and make sure your car is set up sensibly.

As for tyres and electrics these may well come down to what classes they run there. They could have a control tyre that you have to use if not find out what the fast guys are using - the right tyre makes all the difference. My suggestion is to go for the slowest class available, this way you can learn to control your car and perfect your lines without having eye watering crashes and when you go faster you will fit in more suitably as you should already be able to drive on the racing line. And if that class happens to be a 'blinky' class you can potentially save money on your ESC.

Once you know what the popular chassis are and what classes are available come back and let us know and we can advise on the specifics.

I agree with Quantra, try the slowest class first, even if its for a short period of time. Theres alot less room for error indoors, if you go for the faster classes, it will be harder to set up, harder to drive and you will probably crash alot more meaning you will be spending more time fixing the car than running it.

Hi you wont regret TC

As has been said local drivers are the best source of advice.

As for an x-ray for your first car!!!!!!!!!!!!! (even 2nd hand)

Spares are soooooo dear.

TC 6 great platform spares really good or a british schuey

Spares for the above are really easy to get hold of.

All ready said in above posts

17.5 blinky is a great way to start close racing and cheap.

As for 13.5 on 20 sorex no no no

Shell mazda speed 6 a really good all round shell

Also tyres are

Edited by Just Chris

Hi you wont regret TC

As has been said local drivers are the best source of advice.

As for an x-ray for your first car!!!!!!!!!!!!! (even 2nd hand)

Spares are soooooo dear.

TC 6 great platform spares really good or a british schuey

Spares for the above are really easy to get hold of.

All ready said in above posts

17.5 blinky is a great way to start close racing and cheap.

As for 13.5 on 20 sorex no no no

Shell mazda speed 6 a really good all round shell

Also tyres are

I would look for a second hand t2 or t3 with a good spares package off ebay, and a new turnigy 40c lipo.

The xrays are very strong, (rarely break) but having a few spares does make your venture into touring cars less daunting if anything does break on race day.

Ive had my turnigy lipo for quite a while now, seems to be more than capable and is a reasonable price. The casing isnt the strongest and can crack, (mine has) but its still working fine.

If I had the money to upgrade my ancient trf415msxx (which still gets me into my local clubs A final when Im driving it right) then I would get a t2 or t3 and not feel at all worried about its durability. Ideally, if going for a t2, look for one which has already got a lipo conversion on it to save you the hassle of doing it yourself.

The schumacher Mi4 is a nice car too, but I dont like the fact that there is an Mi4, mI4lp and an Mi4cxl, (I get confused as to what all the differences are between them), but they are pretty durable too.