• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

3 minutes ago, Kyo said:

Is the grub screw tight at the spur gear end? And on the flat part of the shaft?

Ours used to come loose until we started using locktite on it.

Also check the slipper clutch is tight enough

Thanks good mate. I've just found the same issue as you describe, pic attached. It appears that the grub screw was never fitted properly at the factory and it appears jammed open.

This is the first time the car has been used so it would be proper crap if this was a Xmas pressie.

Thanks for posting up, you're a star :good:

Screenshot_20211222-152347_Gallery.thumb.jpg.150569ef59dd473de6e6fa27186819fc.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buggy Malone said:

thought these things were supposed to be 'RTR'!

RTR = ready to rebuild 

Every new model I get is disassembled, regreased and reassembled straight out of the box so I know it’s together right before I use it ✌️😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyo said:

Ah cool glad you found it, shame the car came like that.

Be sure to use some locktite or it will most likely come loose.

Sadly for me the factory has fiited the grub screw at the wrong angle and whoever did it has sheared off the grub screw internals.

Looks like a new part so both of my FTX buggies are now broken.

I don't want to sound glum but these FTX kits are proving to be a right pain in the ar$e to own. 

Thanks again,

Andrew

• Sad 1

If its a new buggy give cml distribution a call on their support line, my experience is their support is excellent.  They will get you sorted  fast.

You need to be prepared to do some spannering when owning this range of ftx.

Can you not borrow the cup & grub from the outlaw until its sorted? Might be the same part?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kyo said:

If its a new buggy give cml distribution a call on their support line, my experience is their support is excellent.  They will get you sorted  fast.

You need to be prepared to do some spannering when owning this range of ftx.

Can you not borrow the cup & grub from the outlaw until its sorted? Might be the same part?

Thanks mate, I thought I had already tightened everything the other day when I added the brushless motor and the esc but in this case I was just tightening something that was already damaged.

I've already given the supplying modelshop an email with pics (for info rather than a complaint) but thanks for the inside line on CML.

Otherwise, the buggy seems OK for the price point albeit the rear wing evaporated when it hit the ground.

Thanks again for your advice.

All the best,

Andrew

54 minutes ago, Buggy Malone said:

Thanks mate, I thought I had already tightened everything the other day when I added the brushless motor and the esc but in this case I was just tightening something that was already damaged.

I've already given the supplying modelshop an email with pics (for info rather than a complaint) but thanks for the inside line on CML.

Otherwise, the buggy seems OK for the price point albeit the rear wing evaporated when it hit the ground.

Thanks again for your advice.

All the best,

Andrew

You need the Quanuam Vandal rear wing buddy, its a direct replacement and really strong and can be bought from hobbyking,

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

You need the Quanuam Vandal rear wing buddy, its a direct replacement and really strong and can be bought from hobbyking,

Cheers for that mate. I'm not going to the trouble of replacing the wing but instead I intend to brace the suspension struts and add some rubber bump stops to help absorb the impact energy away from the top shock mounts.

It was only a small rollover today but the factory supplied wing just disintegrated into 5 bits. The pin mount was sheared off so that must be made of cheese.

A quick update guys:

I emailed the supplying model shop yesterday (Time Tunnel Models) and by 11pm last night I received an incredibly helpful reply saying that they'll speak with CML. (Bear in mind that TTM was closed for the holiday season).

TTM have since emailed me again a few minutes ago to say that a new replacement part is already in the post.

It's safe to say that I never experienced such a fantastic service in my life -  amazing!!

Well chuffed,

Andrew

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyo said:

That's awesome - their customer service is really excellent.  They must be well practiced in sending out replacement parts 🤣

Just the efficiency alone was amazing.  :good:

Outstanding!!

My replacement part has just arrived in the post. 

It has taken only 41 hours between me emailing Time Tunnel Models to them contacting CML for me to then receive the part from CML.

I've never experienced such efficiency before!

A good point to raise from all this is that the FTX model range is particularly well supported - which is a huge plus IMO.

I'll be back on the road after lunch.

This has made my Xmas.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Buggy Malone said:

Outstanding!!

My replacement part has just arrived in the post. 

It has taken only 41 hours between me emailing Time Tunnel Models to them contacting CML for me to then receive the part from CML.

I've never experienced such efficiency before!

A good point to raise from all this is that the FTX model range is particularly well supported - which is a huge plus IMO.

I'll be back on the road after lunch.

This has made my Xmas.

This means you’ll likely be off the road and back in the pit lane shortly after lunch 😂

Love my carnage to bits, just wish they weren’t so delicate. Mine is reasonably tough now I’ve upgraded a large percentage of stock parts to either carbon or aluminium, but if you add it all up I could have bought a more premium brand and avoided the hassle.

I actually enjoyed the challenge of making it ‘usable’ but was initially disappointed. Taught me lots though, and put me in good stead for future maintenance on all models purchased since.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ant.p said:

This means you’ll likely be off the road and back in the pit lane shortly after lunch 😂

Love my carnage to bits, just wish they weren’t so delicate. Mine is reasonably tough now I’ve upgraded a large percentage of stock parts to either carbon or aluminium, but if you add it all up I could have bought a more premium brand and avoided the hassle.

I actually enjoyed the challenge of making it ‘usable’ but was initially disappointed. Taught me lots though, and put me in good stead for future maintenance on all models purchased since.

Yes mate, I agree entirely. In my case the FTX Outlaw has taught me a load of things about RC'ing; even me reading the entire Outlaw thread proved invaluable.

I didn't get to take it out today (too much Xmas prep to be done) so the Vantage has lived to run another day, lol.

Have a good Xmas,

Andrew

• Like 1

I found the FTX range  dont like the cold parts brake far quicker as iv been using.my outlaw an carnage for months and only having  usually breakage but last week I snapped the chassis on a low impact bump which in the warmer weather I think would not have snapped . .

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Iain .R said:

I found the FTX range  dont like the cold parts brake far quicker as iv been using.my outlaw an carnage for months and only having  usually breakage but last week I snapped the chassis on a low impact bump which in the warmer weather I think would not have snapped . .

Cheers Iain, there must be some issue in the plastic that makes it brittle when much colder. 

I'm hoping to be out tomorrow (family day today) but at least this time it'll be running in 4WD with my new coupler fitted.

I've got to admit that I really like the low buggy stance of the Vantage over the Outlaw  in terms of its stability and race pace.

Thanks for the note mate,

Andrew

The stock spur gear lasted maybe a whole 3 Minutes when I upgraded my Carnage to brushless.

Yep 🤥, just changed the motor and esc as a start. Bought the Carnage 2nd hand for £50 as a bit of a project.... Originally for grandson but it's all mine now ha ha! in the process of fitting a Vantage shell now, should be interesting! Motor is a goolrc 3650 4300Kv now with a RW Racing 12 / 45 t steel spur and pinion combo.  Pinched the 3S 50C battery from my Riot plane!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Keith Williams said:

The stock spur gear lasted maybe a whole 3 Minutes when I upgraded my Carnage to brushless.

Yep 🤥, just changed the motor and esc as a start. Bought the Carnage 2nd hand for £50 as a bit of a project.... Originally for grandson but it's all mine now ha ha! in the process of fitting a Vantage shell now, should be interesting! Motor is a goolrc 3650 4300Kv now with a RW Racing 12 / 45 t steel spur and pinion combo.  Pinched the 3S 50C battery from my Riot plane!

......now that's going to be fast, Kevin. You'll have to get it on the track and report back your findings.

19 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

come the better weather i need to give my Vantage a final speed run, best so far is a fraction shy of 62MPH still say its got 70 in it

Crickey, I can't even comprehend that speed in a buggy. 

Hats off to you mate, you've done a cracking job of your car with those kind of speeds. :good:

• Like 2

Happy New Year guys.

It was Run-2 today with the Vantage 2.0 BL......and this happened after 10 minutes.

The top of the diff housing has sheared off completely.  The only positive is that I managed to find the two drive shafts once the model separated.

Screenshot_20220101-111601_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3e6ea4493f98701aed05dab952327bf9.jpg

Screenshot_20220101-111608_Gallery.thumb.jpg.bddc31534c4f520155a9159e729dc19a.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What caused it? A roll?

Had the same on the front of my boys carnage a few weeks ago - pretty easy to replace. His was caused by a high speed head on with another buggy. Bits of car everywhere!

• Like 1