• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

2 hours ago, Wrighty8766 said:

You know rw has their own website you can order off?

Not sure if you're just being a smart ass or genuinely trying to be helpful, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Thanks, but yes I did know that. I wanted to support Modelsport & also get everything  delivered at once in a single parcel. Just makes it easier for me because I live in a rural area  & post is a bit sporadic.

Edited by James RC

Not sure if you're just being a smart ass or genuinely trying to be helpful, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Thanks, but yes I did know that. I wanted to support Modelsport & also get everything  delivered at once in a single parcel. Just makes it easier for me because I live in a rural area  & post is a bit sporadic.

I was being genuine mate, just trying to help for future reference and all that [emoji1303]

I have got 4 carnage’s in the shed in desperate need of a service so had a little read of this thread to try and spark my interest in fixing them [emoji23]
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wrighty8766 said:

I was being genuine mate, just trying to help for future reference and all that emoji1303.png

I have got 4 carnage’s in the shed in desperate need of a service so had a little read of this thread to try and spark my interest in fixing them emoji23.png

Ah well in that case, cheers mate, much appreciated 👍 . I guess i'm just too used to my buddies being sarcastic twits all the time 😋

Oh nice one man, I hope that the thread is working for ya. It certainly did for me as I was umming and ahing about which truggy to get for quite a while and reading through this & seeing other peoples pictures & reviews really sealed the deal for me. So how come you have 4 of them? Are they all different builds from one another? 

Ah well in that case, cheers mate, much appreciated [emoji106] . I guess i'm just too used to my buddies being sarcastic twits all the time [emoji39]

Oh nice one man, I hope that the thread is working for ya. It certainly did for me as I was umming and ahing about which truggy to get for quite a while and reading through this & seeing other peoples pictures & reviews really sealed the deal for me. So how come you have 4 of them? Are they all different builds from one another? 

3 of them are my brothers and his two kids and the other one is my other nephews, they were last run about 5 years ago on the beach and weren’t cleaned or maintained at all so are in very poor condition......might be able to get two decent ones out of them hopefully [emoji23]

3 were factory brushless and one was brushed converted to brushless. The one brushed one was actually maintained alright and is possibly good to go but the others were trashed by my brother and his kids and are held together with duct tape and cable ties [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Nice, not considered that model, though they are all same chassis, i think i will be putting in the order tomorrow for the second carnage, this will be a Bugnage as it will be carnage chassis and clear Bugsta shell

Cheers bud. And oo that sounds like a good plan to me man 👍

Quick pic without the lid

20201029_172731.thumb.jpg.8ee73a538be5fb0b0be6a7d6d67219b2.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

Nice one @James RC. Good cars for the money ...although I bet that rear spoiler won’t last 2 days 😂

The Carnage and Bugsta are the same chassis. The Bugsta has bigger wheels and different shel. Everything else is the same.

Its the larger wheels that cause problems hence getting carnage and fitting clear bugsta shell, carnage has slightly smaller wheels less stress on drive line

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

Nice one @James RC. Good cars for the money ...although I bet that rear spoiler won’t last 2 days 😂

The Carnage and Bugsta are the same chassis. The Bugsta has bigger wheels and different shel. Everything else is the same.

Thank you Nick :)  And haha, unfortunately I fear you may be right about the spoiler 😂  

19 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

@James RC

have a look at covering up the spur gear cover otherwise than nice acetal RW spur gear will become a nice toothless acetal RW spur gear 😆

Yes mate for sure 👍 I won't be giving it it's first run until tomorrow morning now anyway so I shall tackle that in the morning. 

I'm  an amateur at this but i'm pretty sure i've got it sussed after reading through this guide on how to do it: https://www.eurorc.com/page/105/how-to-seal-ftx-carnagebugsta-gear-cover

But if for some reason I have an issue or can't manage it then i'll be back here to ask for some guidance 

• Like 2

So just now I thought that i'd have another little check over the car. You know, familiarize myself with it all, check wheel alignment, make sure all the nuts & bolts are tight, and i noticed something...

20201029_220009.thumb.jpg.bbe2affbb7cda0c9e1d2f06157ff0c2e.jpg

So as you can see, the hole that I thought would be there facing the front end of the carnage (like in the image below), is not there!

So I guess this must be an updated version of the Carnage and they've sorted that issue.

1718308908_spurgearoldmodel.png.e1fde9aadb77193ee5858a8032da51c1.png

But unfortunately they only sorted the one hole as there is still a large opening on the other side of that mount which I will put some gorilla tape over.

1830118218_spurgear22.thumb.jpg.7f83c62eb08cdd689fff21e43ee42e12.jpg

• Like 2

Well hasn't the weather just been absolutely appalling today! Somehow I managed to find a little 30 minute gap in the rain earlier this afternoon to take the car out on it's maiden voyage.

It took me a few attempts to calibrate the ESC correctly, but I got there in the end. I have to say i'm mighty impressed with it already. Even on the 2s lipo provided & on a damp road it really has some good punch! At a conservative guess I would say it was easily reaching 30mph on full throttle, and quite possibly a bit more. It handles fantastically and the brakes are super sharp. I even did a few accidental stoppies! And the next thing that impressed me was the battery life. It's only a 3250mah 20c and I was out there for about 40 minutes, and even then it was still going strong, a hardly noticeable power difference. The motor stayed cool, as did the ESC (undoubtedly helped by the little fan on top, which I love by the way!) 

So yeah, it was a great first experience with my carnage & I can't wait to take it out again. Hopefully on a much drier road next time 

• Like 3

Oh dear, just place an order for another Carnage 2.0, along with a clear Bugsta shell and Metallic Purple spray paint, this will be the wifes......."Dirty fairy II"  i hve ordered the carnage in Red but wont be using the shell, so may well move that on

Edited by Jack Reacher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Oh dear, just place an order for another Carnage 2.0, along with a clear Bugsta shell and Metallic Purple spray paint, this will be the wifes......."Dirty fairy II"  i hve ordered the carnage in Red but wont be using the shell, so may well move that on

Ayy nice one Jack 👍I look forward to seeing the... carbug? Bugcar? Bugnage? Carsta? 

If you do want to sell the red bodyshell then ill be happy to take it off your hands as a spare for mine. Just let me know what you want for it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

Are you guys using shoe goo with your shells or do you not bash them?

I am not at present and dont bash as such, but it works well to glue and cloth the inside, i did brace up the old outlaw shell with cloth reinforced adhesive tape

On 30/10/2020 at 17:11, James RC said:

Well hasn't the weather just been absolutely appalling today! Somehow I managed to find a little 30 minute gap in the rain earlier this afternoon to take the car out on it's maiden voyage.

It took me a few attempts to calibrate the ESC correctly, but I got there in the end. I have to say i'm mighty impressed with it already. Even on the 2s lipo provided & on a damp road it really has some good punch! At a conservative guess I would say it was easily reaching 30mph on full throttle, and quite possibly a bit more. It handles fantastically and the brakes are super sharp. I even did a few accidental stoppies! And the next thing that impressed me was the battery life. It's only a 3250mah 20c and I was out there for about 40 minutes, and even then it was still going strong, a hardly noticeable power difference. The motor stayed cool, as did the ESC (undoubtedly helped by the little fan on top, which I love by the way!) 

So yeah, it was a great first experience with my carnage & I can't wait to take it out again. Hopefully on a much drier road next time 

I couldn’t wait for the weather so took out my (2 week old) Carnage for a blast. Went through 2 battery packs of power slides.  It drifts well enough in the dry but on wet tarmac holding a drift that bit longer is very satisfying! Surprised at how little water ended up inside. Still plan to make some panels to protect the components though.  Still learning the hard way so will stick to NIMH for a while to allow my reaction times to improve! 

Hope you get more chances to open up the LiPo power soon!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nickarla said:

Are you guys using shoe goo with your shells or do you not bash them?

Never used shoe goo but do use reinforced tape.  And I put some clear vinyl sticky back plastic on the outside of the shell where it gets the most abuse.

The main benefit with LiPo is the consistent power delivery. Nimh loses performance as soon as you start driving. A LiPo will generally feel more powerful because the performance doesn’t drop. The LiPo will be like a nimh after a fresh charge but all the time until it runs out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ElectronShifter said:

I couldn’t wait for the weather so took out my (2 week old) Carnage for a blast. Went through 2 battery packs of power slides.  It drifts well enough in the dry but on wet tarmac holding a drift that bit longer is very satisfying! Surprised at how little water ended up inside. Still plan to make some panels to protect the components though.  Still learning the hard way so will stick to NIMH for a while to allow my reaction times to improve! 

Hope you get more chances to open up the LiPo power soon!

Yeah I don't blame you dude, it's been pretty miserable out there & I know exactly how it feels to have the urge to drive your new RC. I've had mine out on wet roads twice & only once, yesterday, in the dry. I agree that it is really satisfying holding those drifts, and the carnage seems pretty good at it! I'm forcing myself not to drift or skid too much as I don't want to wear the tyres out in the first week 😋

Now, about the water getting inside, I was actually a bit annoyed with just how much water was getting inside of mine. Not enough to wreck anything I don't think but too much for my liking. I think the idea of a panel around the chassis is going to be the best bet. It probably only needs to come up about an extra 10 - 15mm above the side walls, and that should create a good barrier for water/dirt/small stones etc. 

Thank you mate. Luckily the weather is getting a lot better this week (here in Hampshire at least) so should get a few chances to take it out in the dry again. 

I would say you'll probably be fine with a 2s lipo in yours. It's going to feel more punchy and more responsive but by no means too fast or uncontrollable.

As Nickarla said above,  the main difference is that they are consistent, and so you'll be able to drift on full power until the final few mins of charge when it goes into limp mode.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, James RC said:

Yeah I don't blame you dude, it's been pretty miserable out there & I know exactly how it feels to have the urge to drive your new RC. I've had mine out on wet roads twice & only once, yesterday, in the dry. I agree that it is really satisfying holding those drifts, and the carnage seems pretty good at it! I'm forcing myself not to drift or skid too much as I don't want to wear the tyres out in the first week 😋

Now, about the water getting inside, I was actually a bit annoyed with just how much water was getting inside of mine. Not enough to wreck anything I don't think but too much for my liking. I think the idea of a panel around the chassis is going to be the best bet. It probably only needs to come up about an extra 10 - 15mm above the side walls, and that should create a good barrier for water/dirt/small stones etc. 

Thank you mate. Luckily the weather is getting a lot better this week (here in Hampshire at least) so should get a few chances to take it out in the dry again. 

I would say you'll probably be fine with a 2s lipo in yours. It's going to feel more punchy and more responsive but by no means too fast or uncontrollable.

As Nickarla said above,  the main difference is that they are consistent, and so you'll be able to drift on full power until the final few mins of charge when it goes into limp mode.

May I refer you back to my patented, sandwich box under tray (see page 235) 😂😂

• Like 1