• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Right just about to pull the trigger on these parts...

Aluminium chassis plate
Aluminium front / rear suspension holders
Aluminium steering ackerman
Aluminium body posts
Carbon fibre upper chassis plate
Carbon fibre battery holder
Carbon fibre front and rear shock towers
Aluminium wheel hexes

I also have these parts already fitted and waiting to fit and work to do after reading through here
Front & rear ARB / sway bar
Fit steel spur gear
Make & fit plastic guard for under spur gear on the aluminium chassis
Check / shim diffs if needed
Use some type of resin and fabric type tape on the back of the shell / body to strengthen it
Steel geared servo
3900Kv 4 pole motor
60A ESC
2s lipo

Any thoughts / advise / input on the above or anything i'm missing appreciated

@Hardcore

The only thing I would say is.... what and where are you using it..??

I would avoid the metal body posts and the carbon towers if your going to be crashing a lot 😁 I had the carbon towers on my Vantage, they're great but break far too easily..!!

Drop @daveyboi73 a msg for the spur gear, best one without a doubt ..👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Everything else looks good..👍🏼

Also don't forget to check Hobbyking.com for parts, search for Vandal... basically its a Vantage under their name..😁

Edited by BashingBrian

4 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

@Hardcore

I would avoid the metal body posts and the carbon towers if your going to be crashing a lot 😁 I had the carbon towers on my Vantage, they're great but break far too easily..!!

Also don't forget to check Hobbyking.com for parts, search for Vandal... basically its a Vantage under their name..😁

@Hardcore I heard the alu chassis plate prone to bending in a crash but can’t remember where I read it so prob best to ignore me.

And I hope you are wrong about the carbon shock towers @BashingBrian as I’ve just fitted em on mine. (No chance to test them yet as I managed to fry my motor on Friday, grrrr!)

Mind you, from the look of what you did to that SCT body shell Brian, you are pretty hard on your cars, little wonder you broke the shock towers too.

(You didn’t tell me, how DID you manage to smash that shell into so many pieces?)

4 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

@Hardcore

Will be used as a basher in a gravel BMX track, occasionally on tarmac and on a damp sandy beach
Wonder what parts the Carnage and Vatage (Vandal) share

If my spur i have dies i'll hit him up for sure but got a steel one here i bought before i knew about his

32 minutes ago, Hardcore said:

Wonder what parts the Carnage and Vatage (Vandal) share

Carnage has longer suspension arms,(and associated parts, turnbuckles etc) and I think a slightly longer chassis (with no separate front bit) and a smaller pinion to accommodate larger wheels. I think pretty much everything else is interchangeable.

1 hour ago, Panos B said:

I was wondering if anybody has any CAD files of parts for the FTX carnage. I want to cut some parts from aluminum at my homemade Cnc.

cheers

I’m pretty sure someone at the beginning of this thread talked about sharing CAD files. Can’t remember who though, and as it was started some 7 yrs ago, they may not still have them but I reckon it’s worth you taking a look. 

• Thanks 1

On 23/06/2019 at 17:45, Always wanted an Avante... said:

Thanks Freddy.  I ordered a 5000mah with the car but didn’t bother with a different charger yet as the one suggested was about £45 from memory so I thought I’d see what the stock one was like.  Which charger did you buy for £15 that was good?

I’m not saying this one is any good. It’s just the cheapest option they had in the shop on the day, but it is DEFINITELY much quicker than the one supplied.

It’s an “Overlander NX-20”. Whether it’s any good, I’m not really qualified to say. Don’t have anything to compare it with but it’s simple to use and has worked fine for me so far.

I’m sure there are folk on here who’d know if there were better value options available. I reckon a 5000mah would take a good couple of hours on this one but you’d probably be waiting another 10 hours for the FTX one to catch up.

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

I’m pretty sure someone at the beginning of this thread talked about sharing CAD files. Can’t remember who though, and as it was started some 7 yrs ago, they may not still have them but I reckon it’s worth you taking a look. 

Yes, I pm him, hope he sees it :)

thanks

9 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

I’m not saying this one is any good. It’s just the cheapest option they had in the shop on the day, but it is DEFINITELY much quicker than the one supplied.

It’s an “Overlander NX-20”. Whether it’s any good, I’m not really qualified to say. Don’t have anything to compare it with but it’s simple to use and has worked fine for me so far.

I’m sure there are folk on here who’d know if there were better value options available. I reckon a 5000mah would take a good couple of hours on this one but you’d probably be waiting another 10 hours for the FTX one to catch up.

image.jpg

Thanks Freddy

On 24/06/2019 at 02:32, Hardcore said:

Right just about to pull the trigger on these parts...

Aluminium chassis plate
Aluminium front / rear suspension holders
Aluminium steering ackerman
Aluminium body posts
Carbon fibre upper chassis plate
Carbon fibre battery holder
Carbon fibre front and rear shock towers
Aluminium wheel hexes

I also have these parts already fitted and waiting to fit and work to do after reading through here
Front & rear ARB / sway bar
Fit steel spur gear
Make & fit plastic guard for under spur gear on the aluminium chassis
Check / shim diffs if needed
Use some type of resin and fabric type tape on the back of the shell / body to strengthen it
Steel geared servo
3900Kv 4 pole motor
60A ESC
2s lipo

Any thoughts / advise / input on the above or anything i'm missing appreciated

For the amount of money that little lot cost you could have just bought something twice as good to start with. You will just end up with a load of bent bits when you bash it that are very expensive to replace rather than a few cracked plastic parts that are very cheap.

The best value for money essential mods for the Vantage are:

Carnage front bumper

Carbon upper chassis plate

Hardened Acetal spur gear

Motor heatsink

Hobbywing ESC

Edited by PH001

What PH001 said...although either the carbon top plate or the aluminium chassis is good. I went for the aluminium chassis to stiffen it up. No bending issues at all and it’s stopped my gears from crunching.

Edited by Nickarla

11 hours ago, Always wanted an Avante... said:

Vantage arrived today.  Took me a while to work out how to bind it but holy smokes it is awesome.  Managed a quick 5 mins before the lad’s bed time.

I remember that first RC car feeling very well. Envy you a little that you get to share it with your lad. After 30 years away from RC, my lads are fully grown. They Secretly enjoy it but are mortified at the prospect of being spotted “playing with their Dads toy car” by anyone they know. 

10 hours ago, PH001 said:

For the amount of money that little lot cost you could have just bought something twice as good to start with. You will just end up with a load of bent bits when you bash it that are very expensive to replace rather than a few cracked plastic parts that are very cheap.

Carnage front bumper

Motor heatsink

Hobbywing ESC

9 hours ago, Nickarla said:

What PH001 said...although either the carbon top plate or the aluminium chassis is good. I went for the aluminium chassis to stiffen it up. No bending issues at all and it’s stopped my gears from crunching.

Interesting.

I got the Carnage front bumper and a hobbywing esc. They just seemed obvious improvements.

I have the carbon top plate on order. 

I had planned to get a steel spur/pinion set here.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/djwrctransmissions

And I asked about a heatsink at my local model shop but they said it won’t fit under the Vantage body shell.

Other “Improvements” I have made are....

Sway bars

Carbon shock towers

A slightly better steering servo (9kg vs the stock 3.5kg)

Carnage wheels (and after my motor overheated, a carnage pinion)

I already realise the Carnage wheels were a mistake. I wanted extra ground clearance but although they are fun in their way, the tyres are too vague and bouncy. I plan to replace them with some truggy wheels with stiffer low profile tyres.... or fit low profile tyres on carnage rims?? Hopefully get back to more precise steering?

So, in your humble opinions.... bearing in mind I am currently running a stock brushed motor (although will inevitably switch to brushless eventually)....

Is a steel spur set overkill? Will the cheaper acetal one do fine?

Does the heatsink fit under the shell, or did you cut a hole to accommodate it?

Were my other “improvements” a waste of money?

I do waffle on don’t I? If you’ve been arsed to read this far thanks. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

8 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Interesting.

I got the Carnage front bumper and a hobbywing esc. They just seemed obvious improvements.

I had planned to get a steel spur/pinion set here.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/djwrctransmissions

And I asked about a heatsink at my local model shop but they said it won’t fit under the Vantage body shell.

Sway bars

Carbon shock towers

I already realise the Carnage wheels were a mistake. I wanted extra ground clearance but although they are fun in their way, the tyres are too vague and bouncy. I plan to replace them with some truggy wheels with stiffer low profile tyres.... or fit low profile tyres on carnage rims?? Hopefully get back to more precise steering?

So, in your humble opinions.... bearing in mind I am currently running a stock brushed motor (although will inevitably switch to brushless eventually)....

Is a steel spur set overkill? Will the cheaper acetal one do fine?

I do waffle on don’t I? If you’ve been arsed to read this far thanks. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

The alloy chassis is your best bet as this eliminate flex and prevents diffs braking/spurs stripping out due to flex. The carbon top plate will also add to the rigidity.
The heatsink can fit, just cut a hole in the body shell.
The acetal spur will be fine for a brushed motor, if you either upgrade to brushless or are having durability issues, only then invest in the steel set.
Carnage tires are not the best. A good set of 2.2 truggy wheels or even short course wheels should give you the improvement you are looking for. Just remeber to go down about 3-5 teeth on the pinion if you run larger than the  stock wheel size.
The carbon towers are ok. Stick with the plastic body mounts though as the alloy ones can and will snap the tower if the impact is hard enough. 

• Like 1

Parts in 

9-B7-DC061-B66-A-4-AEC-84-B4-E4-ED3-E72-

0-F5771-E7-EC72-4-E63-B94-B-CF4443192951

Have to to say I’m well impressed with the rally shell it’s not your usual thin Lexan crap this feels more like a thicker material for the price I’m extremely happy with it. Bit wider than I thought so I’m not going to be able to put my Tamiya rally drivers in but I’ll have a look around so what if anything I can find to fit 

Also picked up a set of fastrax buggy tyres to try out although I will be using the rally tyres on the rally set up 

9-E59-C8-AD-D26-F-4417-95-F1-EEFCE5-C365

So now I can swap between having a buggy or rally for the cost of only one 😁👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

Interesting.

Sway bars

Carbon shock towers

No you haven’t wasted money. They are good upgrades. I personally think that the Carnage wheels are good value for money but I did drop a few holes on the outside to dispel water and make them last longer.

3 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

No you haven’t wasted money. They are good upgrades. I personally think that the Carnage wheels are good value for money but I did drop a few holes on the outside to dispel water and make them last longer.

My issues with the Carnage wheels are.... firstly the tyres aren’t even glued to the rims straight.

In hard turns they deform really badly.... It looks cool but makes steering a bit vague.

They are SO badly balanced... If you hold the car in the air and give it some throttle the whole car bounces around in your hand. If it were a1:1 car it would be undriveable with vibration like that.

On the other hand they are cheap and seem fairly hard wearing so maybe I’m just being fussy?

13 hours ago, PH001 said:

Carnage front bumper

Motor heatsink

Hobbywing ESC

I bought my Carnage years ago and had a spare brushless system sitting by so the upgrades so far recently have cost about £100 and i don't think that alone would get me far in terms of a more reliable basher.

Mines is a carnage as well btw

I got told to buy the carbon top plate to stop it chewing spurs, i got told to buy the alloy chassis to stop it eating diffs on jumps. I very rarely crash or land badly so should be fine.

42 minutes ago, Ethos560 said:

I recently flipped my car and the bumper came out of the chassis, i wasn't sure what to do as i don't want to replace the chassis.

What should I do?

Carnage or Vantage? If it’s the Vantage there is a removable front piece you can change without changing the whole chassis. If it’s the carnage and it’s too bad to just screw it back in place. Have you tried using larger self tapping screws? Or resign yourself to buying a new chassis?

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/FTX6331/ftx-carnage-ep-chassis-plate-1pc

pretty cheap at £8.99.