• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

5 hours ago, doely85 said:

@craigb1973 is that tamiya pink gold iridescent paint? Just done the same colour on a crawler kit I just built. The colour looks awesome In the flesh, hard to get a pic of the overall effect though. Looks great dude ?

Yeah dude it is looks so good in the sun light I've got a bugstra body I'm doing In the green and purple  as well when I get a chance 

Edited by craigb1973
  • Like 1

Hello

I put in a brushless S3650 4300KV motor in the Vantage/Vandal, it seems quite nippy with a 5200mah 2S Lipo, no idea if it is faster than the RTR one as I got the kit version without motor.

But, there's some problems:

• when going into reverse the reverse seems to be much faster than the forward? On my transmitter I can switch the polarity of the throttle, but on both 2s and 3s going reverse is always faster? I have tried using the program card for the ESC changing the reverse speed but it is as if reverse is actually forward and you can only set it to be 25%, 50% or 75% and not to 100% which is a problem.
  • the pinion gear comes off all the time when I put the 3s lipo in it. the pinion gear I used has 26 teeth , I have another with FTX 23 teeth and a Hobbyking one with 17 teeth and I bought the hardened Vantage Acetane spur gear with 65 teeth from Modelsport but not put it in yet, what difference does the hardened acetane gear actually make? Do I need to put the hardened acetane gear in it for 3s? should I glue or solder the pinion gear on?
  • the motor often cuts out and stops for a minute until it cools off again (or did I break it already?)
  • tires are ballooning/deforming into discs on high speed and they probably would rip off if on full throttle for more than a second but which tires don't balloon? Are there any touring car style tires that fit the Vantage/Vandal?

also:

Eurocarparts on Ebay have the FTX Vantage and FTX Carnage 15% off (Vantage price shows as £106 but when you use the code in checkout its £90)

code is PERCENT15 valid until May 2nd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=tamiya&_sop=16&_ssn=eurocarparts&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ftx&_sacat=0

also Tamiyas (eg. Lunchbox), drones and whatnot

Edited by geigerzaehler

Hi Guys, Just joined the thread as I am a noob Vantage owner. I bought a brushed Vantage two weeks ago as a starter setup for myself and my son to get into rc.

Already through my 1st spur gear:)

I’m looking to convert to brushless and hoping someone more experienced will recommend a specific motor and esc combo. Nothing over a £100.

I know there have been combos mentioned a lot earlier on in the forum. Working backwards I am now on page 150!!!

Thanks

Edited by Jayco83

On 29/04/2019 at 23:35, geigerzaehler said:

Hello

I put in a brushless S3650 4300KV motor in the Vantage/Vandal, it seems quite nippy with a 5200mah 2S Lipo, no idea if it is faster than the RTR one as I got the kit version without motor.

But, there's some problems:

• when going into reverse the reverse seems to be much faster than the forward? On my transmitter I can switch the polarity of the throttle, but on both 2s and 3s going reverse is always faster? I have tried using the program card for the ESC changing the reverse speed but it is as if reverse is actually forward and you can only set it to be 25%, 50% or 75% and not to 100% which is a problem.
  • the pinion gear comes off all the time when I put the 3s lipo in it. the pinion gear I used has 26 teeth , I have another with FTX 23 teeth and a Hobbyking one with 17 teeth and I bought the hardened Vantage Acetane spur gear with 65 teeth from Modelsport but not put it in yet, what difference does the hardened acetane gear actually make? Do I need to put the hardened acetane gear in it for 3s? should I glue or solder the pinion gear on?
  • the motor often cuts out and stops for a minute until it cools off again (or did I break it already?)
  • tires are ballooning/deforming into discs on high speed and they probably would rip off if on full throttle for more than a second but which tires don't balloon? Are there any touring car style tires that fit the Vantage/Vandal?

also:

Eurocarparts on Ebay have the FTX Vantage and FTX Carnage 15% off (Vantage price shows as £106 but when you use the code in checkout its £90)

code is PERCENT15 valid until May 2nd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=tamiya&_sop=16&_ssn=eurocarparts&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=ftx&_sacat=0

also Tamiyas (eg. Lunchbox), drones and whatnot

- switch 2 wires around on you motor to ESC...... Unplug two wires....from ESC to motor...switch them around...re connect

- 26 tooth pinion is too high for the FDR..(final drive ratio) of the vantage model.... Solution...drop down to using a 20-22t pinion when using 3s...this will help with less overheating.... And also tyre ballooning...

You can use a dremel  to make a small notch in your flat edge of your motor shaft...then when you put the pinion on...the pinions grub screw will bite more onto the shaft...helping it stay on..

Hope that helps dude

On 01/05/2019 at 11:48, Fly In My Soup said:

- switch 2 wires around on you motor to ESC...... Unplug two wires....from ESC to motor...switch them around...re connect

- 26 tooth pinion is too high for the FDR..(final drive ratio) of the vantage model.... Solution...drop down to using a 20-22t pinion when using 3s...this will help with less overheating.... And also tyre ballooning...

You can use a dremel  to make a small notch in your flat edge of your motor shaft...then when you put the pinion on...the pinions grub screw will bite more onto the shaft...helping it stay on..

Hope that helps dude

Yes sure helps! I now tried to use the blue thread lock and will see, might dremel shaft if it does not hold with that and will do the wire swap next time we go out and drive the RCs, for some reason I thought it's not doable with brushless motors maybe its the matching yellow/blue/red cables that made me think that:)

I did not go through all 200+ pages of this thread but will the Carnage front bumper fit the Vantage/Vandal?

I am looking for a wider front bumper to cover the front shocks from impact.

Aso I am looking to get the sway bars but they seem to sell only the sway bars and the fitting screws etc you need to get seperate but where can you get the screws and whatever else is needed for the sway bars? HobbyKing do the whole kit but they do not have it in stock:(

1 hour ago, geigerzaehler said:

Yes sure helps! I now tried to use the blue thread lock and will see, might dremel shaft if it does not hold with that and will do the wire swap next time we go out and drive the RCs, for some reason I thought it's not doable with brushless motors maybe its the matching yellow/blue/red cables that made me think that:)

Yes you can swap 2 wires around on asensorless brushless setup like you have.... 

You cannot swap two wires in a sensored setup

Hi guys sorry to butt in, just looking for a quick answer without having to trawl through the entire 200 messages, just looking for a  good fast esc motor combo for ftx vantage as I have the brushed one at the moment and need to upgrade would like it to be quicker that the standard brushless version any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I just order one of these, well the hobbyking vandal buts it’s the same as the vantage. Went with the kit as I have radio gear motors and esc’s along with a few servos laying around doing nothing and at £49.86 with free shipping it seemed like a pretty good deal. 

Should be be a fun little buggy for getting the dogs to chase ????

On 03/05/2019 at 08:15, jonsav11 said:

Hi guys sorry to butt in, just looking for a quick answer without having to trawl through the entire 200 messages, just looking for a  good fast esc motor combo for ftx vantage as I have the brushed one at the moment and need to upgrade would like it to be quicker that the standard brushless version any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Gool rc 4300kv 3650 motor & Hobbywing 10bl120.... Cost around 50 for the pair

I would not recommend the GoolRC 4300kv motor and 3S with the Vantage/Vandal, only 2S, I tried with 16T pinion and it went ok first time around on asphalt except for overheating motor, but 2nd time tried on sand with 2S and went fine, but with 3S it broke, after checking I saw the bearing of the spur gear clutch assembly broke and some of the balls of th ebearings came out and it seems slightly bent,  I noticed too late and so it ended up braking the pinion gear and the spur gear had lost all of its teeth, I am not sure what went first as I had one bent rear dog bone which may have made matters worse.

I changed the spur gear but the slipper gaskets are worn and the bearing is broken so I think I will just buy the whole slipper clutch set FTX6266 as it is cheaper than the individual parts.

Is there anything that can be done so no sand could get inbetween spur gear and pinion gear? and no sand could get into the slipper clutch assembly bearing?

Hi guys.  Any tips on troubleshooting controller, ESC or motor issues?  Recently my brushed Carnage has stopped reversing & only goes forwards at about 50% throttle.  From what I can work out, either the signal isn't getting through, isn't being interpreted properly, or the power isn't getting sent to the motor properly.  Any ideas on how to work out what's not working properly?

7 hours ago, whitling2k said:

Hi guys.  Any tips on troubleshooting controller, ESC or motor issues?  Recently my brushed Carnage has stopped reversing & only goes forwards at about 50% throttle.  From what I can work out, either the signal isn't getting through, isn't being interpreted properly, or the power isn't getting sent to the motor properly.  Any ideas on how to work out what's not working properly?

I had a similar issue. My rc wouldn't go in reverse. These are fairly cheap rtr kits. Therfore the controllers are also fairly cheap. It Could be that the controllers neutral point has moved. Try recalibration your controller. 

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2019 at 10:24, geigerzaehler said:

I would not recommend the GoolRC 4300kv motor and 3S with the Vantage/Vandal, only 2S, I tried with 16T pinion and it went ok first time around on asphalt except for overheating motor, but 2nd time tried on sand with 2S and went fine, but with 3S it broke, after checking I saw the bearing of the spur gear clutch assembly broke and some of the balls of th ebearings came out and it seems slightly bent,  I noticed too late and so it ended up braking the pinion gear and the spur gear had lost all of its teeth, I am not sure what went first as I had one bent rear dog bone which may have made matters worse.

I changed the spur gear but the slipper gaskets are worn and the bearing is broken so I think I will just buy the whole slipper clutch set FTX6266 as it is cheaper than the individual parts.

Is there anything that can be done so no sand could get inbetween spur gear and pinion gear? and no sand could get into the slipper clutch assembly bearing?

I saw a vid on YouTube re this, sorry can’t remember the title but basically it involves removing the rear diff/suspension and simply sticking a couple of bits of tape over the gaps between the chassis and the spur/pinion mounts. Seems like a simple fix. Plan to do it myself when my current spur/pinion wear out.

On 13/05/2019 at 10:24, geigerzaehler said:

There are new covers now but be careful as it uses the old part number Modelsport have them in stock and the new version 👍👍

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-sealed-rear-spur-gear-cover-vantage/rc-car-products/365836

Picked up a Vandal kit aka the vantage for £50 on Hobbyking which I thought was a bit of a bargain to be fair. Popped in some electrics I had sitting on the shelf for a while and now I have a very budget friendly 1/10th scale 4wd buggy 🤣🤣

A8379-D82-DE6-A-42-F6-842-A-0-F12-CA3783

D8-E6-ED0-B-5721-4727-A1-AA-08542-CC218-

I picked up a couple of spurs and a sway bar kit, spare clear shell, couple of rear wings and a Alloy chassis oh and a spur cover. Got the cover and spurs from Modelsport the rest is coming from Hobbyking Global so will take a while although the sway bar kit came in the same order as the kit so popped that on already. For the money seems like a it could be a nice little buy this must say first impression are rather good 👍👍

3 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

@mydoddy69

Give @daveyboi73 a shout for one of his steel spurs..👍🏼 they truly are a game changer in this car..

Cheers fella but I prefer the plastic, couple of quid easy fix and hopefully with the cover I shouldn’t need a metal one plus getting 0.6 pinions on a 5mm shaft is a pain in the backside, so I’d rather wear the spur out the pinion 👍👍

Must say the slipper on mine is way too tight needs backing off about a full turn so that won’t help the spur and drive train any. 

I've had my FTX Carnage now for just over a year. Most of it, it's been in bits in a box needing repairs.
It started out as the brushed version but i've added in a 60A Hobbywing EZ-run ESC and Hobbywing 4000kv motor.
I only plan to run it on 2s, but i've found that the motor is getting hot quickly. 
I've ordered a 20t pinion gear to try. Does that sound about right for a 4000kv motor?

What have been done who bash these in regards to the spur gear?
I've ordered a steel one and also working on a plastic cover that bolts on under the spur gear gap in the chassis to cover it but wondering if there were any other tricks or fixes.

I've noticed as well that one of my front wheels starts to bind slightly if the nut is tightened all the way up. Swapped the nut and same issue. But if i tightened but not fully the wheel is fine. Any ideas?

My first original body died quickly on a bad landing. I've bought and painted a replacement body. Are the clear plastic ones the same materials as the pre painted ones?

Any other upgrades i should consider? It's got ARB's fitted as well.

5 hours ago, daveyboi73 said:

My  spurs are 48 and 32 DP.  I agree 0.6 is a pain in the butt for options :D

32dp ? For the buggy ? Now thats a whole different story 👍👍