• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

I just happened to run across something for those with Vandals/Vantages who may be interested.

I'm not much on running the stock RTR bodies that come with the cars so if you are looking for a replacement too, the Pro-Line Bulldog Cab Forward bodies made to fit the Schumacher Cat SX3 (item # 3387-00) are pretty much a direct fit, with minimal trimming to the nose. The rest of the body fits the chassis almost perfect.

Just my two cents...lol

• Like 3

I've had a completely standard brushless carnage for a year, I've used it a handful of times due to time and other things etc, I'm wanting to get a better lipo, I know the standard setup is best suited to 2's so that's what I'll get the question is which one? Having a look it seems hobbyking is the place to get them from but unsure which one, what are you guys using with a standard set up. I'm looking to get 2 and budget is around 30ish

Edited by Bigyeti007

Finally had a play with the Carnage, good fun but over to quick, I have a 3800 overlander battery and the stock one so need to get some more batteries.
Can someone advice on the best battery for a brushed model, I do plan to upgrade to brushless at some point.

Also is it normal to hear an slight electric squeal after using for a while?

And sometimes it wont go into reverse for a couple of attempts?

Hey y'all. I don't know who may be interested, but since I am racing my Vandal, I looked and looked for a set-up sheet to keep track of everything. Unfortunately, there are none or anything even close really. So I made one by hand on Inkscape.

It may even be valuable for those of you who don't race your Vantage/Carnage/Vandal, but want to keep track of things or need to document stuff when you have to tear into it. It's formatted for a standard sheet of paper, so feel free to use it if you have a need. Also, I think I got most everything on it that I could think of sitting here looking at the car, but if there is something else you think needs added, by all means me know!

I think I uploaded the file correctly lol guess we will see!

• Like 1

There is a reserve lock to prevent damage, ie, forward, brake, reverse, so a slight pause after braking before reverse will engage is normal. May need to reprogramme Failsafe though?

Re batteries, trust me on this, once you have gone Brushless (which is exactly what I did, went from brushed on NiMh to Brushless on same) you will want to go for LiPo almost immediately, the speed will become intoxicating! So just get NiMh batteries appropriate for your brushed and then go whole hog and go brushless and LiPo, pref 3S - it gets everything very hot in an otherwise standard Carnage but it will shift! See my posts with my now 4S HPI Trophy which I am looking at potentially upping to 6S and I started with a brushed Vantage and a commitment to spend NO MORE money than that......

Didn't realise that - so there is a voltage regulator in the ESC that equalises the voltage output to the receiver (and therefore to the steering servo?) regardless of voltage input? I asked on another thread about whether a standard servo could take 6S but from what you are saying the answer to that is also yes since it would not actually be 6S voltage that outputs the ESC to the receiver? Anyone know what voltage does output the ESC?

• 1 month later...

Anybody else found the steering is a bit naff? I had mine running on a buggy track for the first time last week and didn't realise I could barely turn the corners at any real speed, don't know if theres any adjustments I can make?

Anybody else found the steering is a bit naff? I had mine running on a buggy track for the first time last week and didn't realise I could barely turn the corners at any real speed, don't know if theres any adjustments I can make?

If using the stock transmitter then you can turn the steering rate up (it's the dial on the far right if looking down at the Tx).  If you're using the stock servo I'd also recommend upgrading it a high torque servo. Good ones can be had for sub

• Like 1

I am about to give this car to my nephew as a gift, tired of replacing the spur gear every time I run the car at the track.  And yes I am making sure the mesh is correct.

I am open to suggestions

Could just be that you are setting the mesh too loose or too tight, are you running brushless or brushed?

Failing that, I have a metal spurgear made by someone on this forum that I'd happy to part with (for a cost) as I dont use my vantage anymore. but it is 48p not the standard 0.6mod :)

Edited; 0.6mod not 1.3 its been a while since I spoke Vantage ahah 

Edited by diago999

Look through the entirety of this forum, theres an image somewhere that shows how to get the best steering out of the buggy, 

also it might be due to the fact that the End points of the steering throw arent adjustable on the kit transmitter,

Or the servo horn might not be in the right place on the spline, ie getting more steering one direction and less the other, 

Also I trimed abit of the steering arm away to give more throw, as it didnt look like it did anything :) 

Hope this helps.

Tristan 

Could just be that you are setting the mesh too loose or too tight, are you running brushless or brushed?

Failing that, I have a metal spurgear made by someone on this forum that I'd happy to part with (for a cost) as I dont use my vantage anymore. but it is 48p not the standard 1.3mod :)

Could be interested - afaik the std ftx gears are 0.6mod - 1.3 would be more like a 5th scale.

Could be interested - afaik the std ftx gears are 0.6mod - 1.3 would be more like a 5th scale.

Edited thanks :)

And if you search metal gears its the ones someone called 

daveyboi73

who supplied me mine, He may have some left, but again I have my slightly used one for sale if anyone wants it pm me and we can arrange a price :)

Also Capri-boy, I have a few 0.6mod pinions I think 24,25 and 27 if you were interested in them? all unused but out of packet

Edited by diago999

Edited thanks :)

And if you search metal gears its the ones someone called 

daveyboi73

who supplied me mine, He may have some left, but again I have my slightly used one for sale if anyone wants it pm me and we can arrange a price :)

Also Capri-boy, I have a few 0.6mod pinions I think 24,25 and 27 if you were interested in them? all unused but out of packet

Hi, poss yh - although I think i'll need to gear the other way tbh - i've got a 4000kv 8.5t combo for it, it's only 60a though and pushing the specs running it in a 4wd buggy.  I was thinking with the Pro being so light I'd get away with it.

Hi, poss yh - although I think i'll need to gear the other way tbh - i've got a 4000kv 8.5t combo for it, it's only 60a though and pushing the specs running it in a 4wd buggy.  I was thinking with the Pro being so light I'd get away with it.

Fair enough, for a moment I thought that you were running the unsensored 9t version I had, and its an absolute weapon of a motor. I think you might be right, but the pro version will still be pretty heavy, if you get chance could you weigh it without electrics for me? I've got the alu quanum vandal chassis on mine because I broke the standard one :( but I'll weigh mine when I can and see what the difference is, have you put the electrics in it yet?

Failing that, I have a metal spurgear made by someone on this forum that I'd happy to part with (for a cost) as I dont use my vantage anymore. but it is 48p not the standard 0.6mod :)

Edited; 0.6mod not 1.3 its been a while since I spoke Vantage ahah 

I ran a traxxas velineon motor in the car, I would love to buy the spur gear from you. I will send you a PM.