• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

can someone tell me how to replace an ftx vantage pinion gear? the on that interlocks with the spur gear to provide drive  im new to rc cars

Hi fella, there's a lil grub screw in the side of the pinion, just undo that and the pinion slides off the motor shaft. If you haven't already got a new one, order a mod.06 one from RW Racing (better quality than the standard) 23t is the size I believe you'll need. When the new one arrives, just slide it on to the motor shaft and tighten the grub screw on to the flat section of shaft. Most importantly, check the mesh between pinion and spur. There are a number of ways to do this, the most common being to put a piece of paper between the two, you need to just be able to get the paper out. Personally, I just check it by eye and a quick rock back and forth of the spur.

Hi all, looking for some advice.

I bought my son a brushed carnage for his 7th birthday and he loves it. I just need to get some more batteries. The power from a Nimh is about right for him at the moment so I'm happy to stick with that, but if I up the mah I guess it'll give him longer run times? Any recommendations?

and.....7 days after buying his, I'm hooked on cars again (re-living my childhood racing days!) and I was so impressed with what you can get for the money these days, I bought a brushless vantage off eBay last night! Problem is, it needs lipos and all I have is 3S 2200's and a stack of 4S 4500 and 6000 I use for my multi-rotors. Any recommendations for suitable Lipos for a vantage? Not fussed about racing performance for this....it's just so me and my boy can have some fun at the local track.

Just get bigger NiHms for your Son's Carnage, best you can afford really. As for LiPos, I think the ESC in the Vantage can cope with 3s but if you want 2s, HobbyKing do Turnigy LiPos for silly money. 

Hi all, looking for some advice.

I bought my son a brushed carnage for his 7th birthday and he loves it. I just need to get some more batteries. The power from a Nimh is about right for him at the moment so I'm happy to stick with that, but if I up the mah I guess it'll give him longer run times? Any recommendations?

and.....7 days after buying his, I'm hooked on cars again (re-living my childhood racing days!) and I was so impressed with what you can get for the money these days, I bought a brushless vantage off eBay last night! Problem is, it needs lipos and all I have is 3S 2200's and a stack of 4S 4500 and 6000 I use for my multi-rotors. Any recommendations for suitable Lipos for a vantage? Not fussed about racing performance for this....it's just so me and my boy can have some fun at the local track.

me boy..hes 9..uses turnigy blues 2s 4000mh in his carnage and it flys...plenty quik enuff....thk there less then 10 quid each from hobby king aswell.....

sorry i mean the bigger spur gear i think not the small metal one

Ah. That's not so simple lol. Basically you'll need to remove the spur gear cover and the rear diff assembly. I removed the motor mount too but I think it can be left in. Once the diff has been removed, the black drive cup has to come off and then you can unscrew the nut that holds the spring tight against the slipper clutch. Once that's removed the clutch plate and spur come off easily. Reassembly is just the reverse operation. Hope that makes some sense.  

No worries fella. I spent some time looking for vids but no dice. 

One last bit of advice, make sure you've got some good hex drivers, I had a hell of a job stripping my Carnage down! Ended up replacing most of the bolts.

I snapped a rear drive cup where the dog bone goes in . Are these easy to fit?

Wheel end or Diff end?

Wheel end is easy. Diff end I've not done.

Yep, its the one coming out of the diff assembly, the inboard one if you will. I will get some ordered ASAP. I really should check the inner workings and grease.

I also have a front CVD that is slightly bent and banana shaped. Do these straighten easily, or should I get a couple of these ordered aswell?

.....And the second bodyshell I got has a tear in it after landing on the roof. Mmm, what to replace it with....?

Always good to have spares. I've just had to buy a new set of CVDs cos I stupidly binned my spare one when I replaced a set cos one was bent  :36_11_13[1]:

talking about cvds, sheered the pin holding dog bone into cv. have removed cvd ,pulled back rubber o ring and removed the remains of the pin. no damage has been caused to the cv or shaft and the internal uj bearing is fine.NOW have measured the sheered pin at 1.5mm dia and estimate length at 9 to 10mm.(many pins available/various manufacturers @ a few quid).thought its cheaper than cvd kit and if its done it once it will do it again!......HAS anyone done this before and can you confirm my pin measurements.

I've done it with body clips. The first clip was too thin and the pin bent causing *ahem* carnage. I then cut a thicker body clip down and it seemed to fit better but I chickened out and bought a new set of CVDs lol. Didn't measure the pin so can't confirm measurements. What I will suggest is that if you go down the body clip route, make sure the cut end is filed smooth thus ensuring the o ring remains undamaged.

If it is the pin I am thinking off (buried down inside the wheel hub almost inside the CVD) then I bought a harp string of all things. When I measure the pins on mine with a micrometer they weren't bang on 1.5mm they were slightly different I think?

Anyways, the piano strings are really high grade steel, 3 feet long and never broke once replaced?

Gooood ideas!just tried body clip(std ftx) cos dont have a harp string to hand....fits a treat! noticed though a bit of flex in the pin,body clip is spring steel.will try tempering it ,should harden off.1.5 pins may be a little too large in dia for the cv cup holes but fits inside the dog bone uj(checked with 1.5 drill bit)but carefully heating up the cv housing does allow the pin to interference fit.

• Like 1

Hi guys, new to this forum and have been following this thread.

I wanted to show off my Vantage and give my thoughts on this buggy after putting 100+ packs through the girl.

DSCN3886_zps09b4e870.jpg

DSCN3888_zps636508c1.jpg

DSCN3889_zps00c783e5.jpg

I bought the brushless RTR version originally and have since bought many of the upgrades.

In fact I bought the PRO version as it only worked out

• Like 1

Hi again guys. My pinion on the Carnage is looking pretty worn, and its the second one I have had on the standard plastic spur. Is there another make of pinion I could use rather than buy the standard cheese one. I think its 17t. I also have an old Kyosho pinion which is 20t and far better quality steel. Unfortunately the motor runs pretty hot on it so I don't like to use it.

Im hoping to get an order together this week.

Cheers.

These RW Racing ones are good ones for the Carnage, though the smallest they have is 19t, which should be fine

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pinion-gears/rc-car-categories/9920/992050&ManufacturerID=48&MSAttributeID%5B41%5D=647

I've got 17t and 15t RW pinions.