• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

35 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I’ve heard of a couple of people doing that now and I’m not sure how it’s even possible 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure how he did it either... It probably just made contact. Said there was a puff of smoke from underneath the esc. 

Also, he just came back from a week away.. Thing was covered in sand... The back had already started rusting. It was only a month old! 

1 hour ago, vimto2000 said:
This morning, charged up all the batteries to take the Carnage and the X-Maxx out.

However it didn't last long!!
My mate came along with his sons Carnage, while plugging everything in.. he potentially fried his receiver and ESC by plugging the balance cable into the receiver. (Noob)
So I lent my carnage to his son... So my youngest and his kid accidentally have a head-on collision while I'm still getting sorted! Both came back with limp A Arms!
My older lad manages to keep his running.. Just lost a few body pins...and after checking the body post had fractured.
X Maxx... Just soaked it all up and laughed at the Carnages.
Just a depressing 10 mins for the kids!! At least the repairs are cheap and I had spares!

Gonna try again tomorrow!

Poor carnages     lol 

• Haha 1

Gona be takin the carnage out for a bash in a mo, my brother in law takin his tomahawk buggy and kraton 6s out 🙂 his xmaxx is still dead as waitin for parts to be sent from America 🥺 but found out why he was breaking spurs... Turns out bunny hopping destroys them so anyone who has a xmaxx don't bunny hop it as ul destroy it lol 

11 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Gona be takin the carnage out for a bash in a mo, my brother in law takin his tomahawk buggy and kraton 6s out 🙂 his xmaxx is still dead as waitin for parts to be sent from America 🥺 but found out why he was breaking spurs... Turns out bunny hopping destroys them so anyone who has a xmaxx don't bunny hop it as ul destroy it lol 

I know what bunny hopping is on a bike... But not with an RC car! 

3 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

I know what bunny hopping is on a bike... But not with an RC car! 

It's when u full throttle an then jam it backwards, the xmaxx hops about 3/4 feet an about 2feet high, looks awesome but breaks the spurs, the kraton 6s doesn't hop that much, wouldnt recommend doin with the carnage as it jus eats the diffs and don't even hop 🤣😂🤣

Well carnage lasted the longest, only broke an already battered body post so installed the Ali upgrades lol, tomahawk didn run properly because bro didn fit the carb properly 🤣 xmaxx bits turned up so we fitted them an the battery's lasted all of 5 mins, so he's gona do a 1amp charge next time so should be an animal, and the kraton broke a brand new proline badland when ballooned 🤣😂🤣 reglued it a few times but didn last long.. so out of everything the carnage lasted the longest 🤠 the cheapest and smallest truck out lasted everything he had 🤣😂🤣 he wasn't happy so ordered bits for his 3 speed savage so will have to video next week's bash and we shall see if it can outlast the carnage 🤣😂🤠

21 hours ago, Madmoz7610 said:

It's when u full throttle an then jam it backwards, the xmaxx hops about 3/4 feet an about 2feet high, looks awesome but breaks the spurs, the kraton 6s doesn't hop that much, wouldnt recommend doin with the carnage as it jus eats the diffs and don't even hop 🤣😂🤣

Lol yeah...I'm not doing that with my Xmaxx lol I 've got it programmed to forward, stop, reverse...so usually when you pin the brakes at full throttle it just tumbles!

So took my Carnage and my eldest sons Carnage out today as he was a bit disappointed on Friday with the short session. Ended up draining the batteries without any breakages or mishaps! The only thing is...his wheels are on their way out...one needs re-gluing and the hexes are looking a bit worn. 

So what is the recommended off road tyre replacement? 

These are what I'm looking at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154220196248 130mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332262184296 (only fronts available at min but my first choice) 105mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174788057006 Far east option! 110mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154343445989 120mm

Also...has anyone got a Arrma Outcast? 

The shell looks like it will be a good fit to Carnage as I believe it has a similar wheel base.

How good are the Arrma shells?

I've just ordered a set of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174873057682

Its a Chinese set which aren't to bad on cost...and are similar size to the stock carnage set.  

I was tempted for the Losi ones but they just seem too big for the Carnage! 

Will let you know how good they are when they arrive!

Can someone please explain how u rebuild a front diff on these things... Gone through 2 now, rebuilt it a 3rd time an it's that stiff I fear it's gona destroy the motor 😞 gettin a nitro Carson Montana end of the month but would be nice to have 2 running so any help with these diffs would much appreciated lol failing that anyone Wana buy it?  Will post in the for sale thread if I can't fix it lol 

Anyone advise the girls carnage keeps eating slipper pads after literally 5 mins bashing?

It's got a hobbywing quickrun 120a esc and a 10.5t speed passion motor running 17t pinion so I wouldn't say its hugely over powered?

Clutch was tightened all the way and backed off about 1/2 turn as I read on here is the way to go. 

Should I put new pads in and just whack it up all the way tight?

Cheers guys.

24 minutes ago, Speedytriple said:

I rebuild the girls carnage diffs with car CV grease. Lovely and smooth and stands up to high temps.

Much better than the baby diarrhoea that they seem to use in the factory!

I'm using high temp grease meant for a JCB as the baby diarrhea stuff is naff. Everything spins nice until I screw it back together checked the casing to see if it's catching anywhere an nothin obvious gona run rwd tomoz so if it handles ok IL leave it like that 

Think iv sorted the diff out... Took some shims out of my old diff an added to the new one as for some reason it needed 3 on each side an not the 1 the spur side an 3 the other lol makes sense to me atm 🤠 still gona run rwd tomoz as can't be bothered to take it all apart tonite an fit it. IL try an get a video or 2 of it running and post to YouTube 

1 hour ago, Wltoys 12402-a said:

Hi people how much faster would a 25t pinion make my standard no mods brushless vantage go running 50c 5000mah 2s battery thanks 👍

IMG_20210713_202349~2.jpg

2 teeth faster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Wltoys 12402-a said:

Hi people how much faster would a 25t pinion make my standard no mods brushless vantage go running 50c 5000mah 2s battery thanks 👍

IMG_20210713_202349~2.jpg

Jus go down the RW hardened steel 48 tooth spur an 13tooth pinion, iv been using them since June an not had any problems and fly's 2s, also try a 3s battery, they turn these into animals 

No car will consistantly go full beans to full stop and not wear the drive train, i run 4s through the ftx diffs they are fine, if they are failing its down the the driving imo
But if your not enjoying it a mini maxx should do the trick, arrma arms are like glass i would avoid, the maxx will need rpm arms and upgraded drive shafts too or will be on the bench a fair bit.

Edited by Redback

1 hour ago, Iain .R said:

What are you doing to it m8  lol 

Jus bashing it around a local park with a bit of a jump lol nothin too crazy really.

1 hour ago, Redback said:

No car will consistantly go full beans to full stop and not wear the drive train, i run 4s through the ftx diffs they are fine, if they are failing its down the the driving imo
But if your not enjoying it a mini maxx should do the trick, arrma arms are like glass i would avoid, the maxx will need rpm arms and upgraded drive shafts too or will be on the bench a fair bit.

Didn't say I was goin full beans to full stop 🤣 learnt from that mistake buddy. And my brother in law's got the xmaxx an kraton 6s, both bashed really hard compared to mine an the kraton jus laps it up, albeit the drive shaft keeps poppin out but it is old an battered lol the xmaxx has gone through a servo, spurs an wheels 

Iv found out what went in it, jus took it apart and realized the rear diff shaft where the slipper clutch is was really wobbly so assuming it's that as the bearing were the standard ones. Will rebuild it tomorrow now an give it a try,  oh an I broke the wheelie bar clean off too so not gona bother with one again lol jus won't run 3s for a while. 

Carson Montana is due next week so the car age will be retired for a bit anyway 

video of brother in law doin a triple backflip with his kraton 6s, xmaxx hardened pinion on kraton spur.. things crazy fast lol 

This is also where I bash the carnage an broke the front diff too many times on the little jump lol 

Edited by Madmoz7610