• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Received both my hobbywing Max8 today... So hopefully tomorrow will be a busy day wrenching on the carnage! All three need to be worked on! 

Hopefully will get a dry spot on the weekend to test! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

Received both my hobbywing Max8 today... So hopefully tomorrow will be a busy day wrenching on the carnage! All three need to be worked on! 

Hopefully will get a dry spot on the weekend to test! 

Nice one, but do you mean max 10’s? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Nice one, but do you mean max 10’s? 

Oh poop!! Yes! Not sure what is going on with my mind lately! Just sold Max8 and it would rip the carnage to shreds! Lol

• Haha 1

Took the the newly converted Carnages out last night and they really rip!! 

They seemed a lot quicker than my carnage...but my boys cars have the stock tyres on them..and I have road ones. So I struggle to put traction down and they are a smaller so will be slower. But still plenty fast enough.

We had a lot more damage with the shells as expected as the cars were hitting the ramp at higher speeds! 

We also, lost a flanged nut for one of the wheels as it came loose as didn't have my nut wrench to hand to check them. A lot of them were quite loose when we got home...so potentially could have lost a few.

I'm thinking about buying a bulk load from here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161134118982

I know they are not pretty, but could order a pack of 20 or 30 for not much more than a pack of 4 pretty anodised ones!

Any issues with the item above?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

Took the the newly converted Carnages out last night and they really rip!! 

They seemed a lot quicker than my carnage...but my boys cars have the stock tyres on them..and I have road ones. So I struggle to put traction down and they are a smaller so will be slower. But still plenty fast enough.

We had a lot more damage with the shells as expected as the cars were hitting the ramp at higher speeds! 

We also, lost a flanged nut for one of the wheels as it came loose as didn't have my nut wrench to hand to check them. A lot of them were quite loose when we got home...so potentially could have lost a few.

I'm thinking about buying a bulk load from here...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161134118982

I know they are not pretty, but could order a pack of 20 or 30 for not much more than a pack of 4 pretty anodised ones!

Any issues with the item above?

makes a heck of a difference doesn’t it! I was amazed how quick ours moved once brushless.

The nuts look decent, nice find!

• Like 1

Yeah, they are a blast...and the kids aren't badgering me to have a go one mine when they get bored of theirs!! 

Going to buy a bag of the flanged nuts...as I'm sure it won't be the first one I'll lose! And they are impossible to find in the grass regardless of colour!

• Like 1

Little update on the carnage.. changed spur and pinion, servo saver, servo, wheels and hexs, carbon shock towers with Ali body posts, Ali battery posts, Ali rear arms and hubs, sealed bearings all round. And yet it still feels sloppy and wobbly, is there anyone who has sorted the wobbly wheels and arms out? Usually run on 3s and it's an animal, 

3 hours ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Little update on the carnage.. changed spur and pinion, servo saver, servo, wheels and hexs, carbon shock towers with Ali body posts, Ali battery posts, Ali rear arms and hubs, sealed bearings all round. And yet it still feels sloppy and wobbly, is there anyone who has sorted the wobbly wheels and arms out? Usually run on 3s and it's an animal, 

You've been lucky on 3s... I gave up doing that and stick to the 2s now on the carnage as had constant problems with the front diff shredding teeth. I've since put carbon chassis and top plate in but yet to try 3s to see if it made a difference. It has been suggested that the flex in the plastic chassis was enough to mess with the mesh sense the damaged cogs.

Re the wheels, I shimmed mine between the external washers and pins to take some slack out.

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

You've been lucky on 3s... I gave up doing that and stick to the 2s now on the carnage as had constant problems with the front diff shredding teeth. I've since put carbon chassis and top plate in but yet to try 3s to see if it made a difference. It has been suggested that the flex in the plastic chassis was enough to mess with the mesh sense the damaged cogs.

Re the wheels, I shimmed mine between the external washers and pins to take some slack out.

Iv been running on 3s for a few months now, I warm up on the 2s an then bash on 3s lol, jus the wobble is doin my head in, an the buckled wheels or looks like they buckled is a pain in the a.. havnt had any problems with the diffs yet but I have bent the center shaft and stripped the nylon spur on second run so did the RW hardened steel spur an pinion, is the carbon chassis really worth the money? I have found a body brace on eBay that's meant to stop body flex 

3 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Iv been running on 3s for a few months now, I warm up on the 2s an then bash on 3s lol, jus the wobble is doin my head in, an the buckled wheels or looks like they buckled is a pain in the a.. havnt had any problems with the diffs yet but I have bent the center shaft and stripped the nylon spur on second run so did the RW hardened steel spur an pinion, is the carbon chassis really worth the money? I have found a body brace on eBay that's meant to stop body flex 

It’s not worth the money at all, but I got carried away with upgrades and didn’t know when to stop. For what I’ve spent on the carnage, I could have had something much MUCH better, but it looks cool and I’ve enjoyed the journey!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

It’s not worth the money at all, but I got carried away with upgrades and didn’t know when to stop. For what I’ve spent on the carnage, I could have had something much MUCH better, but it looks cool and I’ve enjoyed the journey!

I think that's the same with most though... Overtime with an upgrade here and there it just adds up... But chances are you would have done the same on another model... Just started off with higher purchase price! 

I think I've spent a total of 600 on my 3 trucks to get them to where they are now which is including purchase price, upgrades, new radio and conversions which is still cheaper than buying 3 of them stock Brushless... And mine are so much better. 

Just to add the initial purchase for all three was just shy of 200! I got some cracking deals! 

Edited by vimto2000
  • Like 1

Ah okies, I think IL jus get the body brace off eBay for now then, i got the carnage as it was the best lookin imo an cheapest 3s capable truggy, iv upgraded bits that didn need doin jus for the looks lol but also upgraded parts that did break an needed replacing. Jus wanted to know if the carbon chassis is worth the 60odd quid price tag when a body brace is 25 na does the same kinda job lol 

1 hour ago, Madmoz7610 said:

This is the body brace iv been looking at jus incase anyone else wanted one too

Screenshot_2021-07-28-15-20-06-636_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

I saw someone on the FB group with one of these installed...looked good but not sure how it would be in reality.

I tend to like the idea of cheap plastic parts being broken, rather than the more expensive drive train.

Not sure why but got kicked off the FB group...probably for being helpful and the owner of the group didn't like it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

I saw someone on the FB group with one of these installed...looked good but not sure how it would be in reality.

I tend to like the idea of cheap plastic parts being broken, rather than the more expensive drive train.

Not sure why but got kicked off the FB group...probably for being helpful and the owner of the group didn't like it! 

Your dont join facebook to help lol :rofl:

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Me too...got the carbon top and bottom plate and changed everything for aluminium where I can. Just looking to change the servo saver next. Im enjoying the playing with bits...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, V8Guitar said:

Me too...got the carbon top and bottom plate and changed everything for aluminium where I can. Just looking to change the servo saver next. Im enjoying the playing with bits...

eBay has the servo saver, iv upgraded to that already, an today I blew the front diff so gona be runnin rwd for a while until I can get a new front diff or replacement spur an pinion for the front, it did do a 20 ft jump at my local skate park so can't put it down to anything other than my stupidity 😂 was out with the brother in law with his kraton 6s an because he jumped the 1/4 pipe I had to have a go... Still only thing that broke was the diff so not a bad days bash 🙂

• Like 3

Ordered the chassis brace today, for anyone else looking to buy one, put in saved for later an u might get a offer off the seller for 20% off lol paid 19.99 instead of the 24.99. also don't run the carnage rwd on 3s..  with teeth missin out the front diff, ul thank me later 😂🤣😂🤦

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Ordered the chassis brace today, for anyone else looking to buy one, put in saved for later an u might get a offer off the seller for 20% off lol paid 19.99 instead of the 24.99. also don't run the carnage rwd on 3s..  with teeth missin out the front diff, ul thank me later 😂🤣😂🤦

Lol did it increase your shopping bill?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Lol did it increase your shopping bill?

Yea I now need a chassis, aswel as new diffs lol it literally stopped dead an snapped in half lol oh and a new 3s battery as that went flyin and started to smoke so kicked it onto some gravel an let it jus go up in flames lol never knew lipos were fireworks in disguise lol 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Yea I now need a chassis, aswel as new diffs lol it literally stopped dead an snapped in half lol oh and a new 3s battery as that went flyin and started to smoke so kicked it onto some gravel an let it jus go up in flames lol never knew lipos were fireworks in disguise lol 

Ouch!! 

Bet you wished you had it on video though!!

You going for an upgraded chassis or going for the plastic one again?

• Like 1

Really not built for any form of hard bashing, that being said i dont think the carbon fiber will take 20ft jumps, the screws and diffs housings just arnt meaty enough and were you strenthen one thing the forces just move to the next weakest part.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

Ouch!! 

Bet you wished you had it on video though!!

You going for an upgraded chassis or going for the plastic one again?

Yup would have been an awesome video too lol jus gona go plastic again. Chassis brace an the other bits should be here by Wednesday so be back to bashin by next weekend 🙂

14 hours ago, Redback said:

Really not built for any form of hard bashing, that being said i dont think the carbon fiber will take 20ft jumps, the screws and diffs housings just arnt meaty enough and were you strenthen one thing the forces just move to the next weakest part.

They can take a fair bit of abuse to be fair to them, have mine flip end to end pretty much every time iv taken it out an it still worked, jus the skate park killed it 😂 but not as bad as the kraton and xmaxx tho as parts are much cheaper to replace and I think the ftx parts are a tiny bit stronger 

• Like 1