• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

51 minutes ago, V8Guitar said:

All of the screws are the same except the pin retainers which are different. If you used the same ones you will have knackered the threads. See picture, plastic ones on the left, ones supplied with he arms on the right.cant  elite they are not listed somewhere.

20210717_125018.jpg

How do they compare to a regular mushroom head M3?  Because with no real scale there they like they should be an M3 to me

Just now, walkbythesea said:

How do they compare to a regular mushroom head M3?  Because with no real scale there they like they should be an M3 to me

They are smaller so I think 2.5 or 2 mm. Ordered both so I'll let you all know...surprised its not listed anywhere or come up before but I suppose others are sensible and use thread loc 🙂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Carnage is 15mm longer wheelbase

So what you're saying is, get the right parts and you could make a LWB Vantage. xD

All jokes aside(or are they?), that makes a bit of sense, seeing as the carnage is a MT which is meant to be a bit bigger.

Just won two Hobbywing Max10 with Hobbywing 3652 on ebay!

Not told the kids, but will be hopefully upgrading their brushed Carnages this weekend! Should be a lot faster 🙂 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Just won two Hobbywing Max10 with Hobbywing 3652 on ebay!

Not told the kids, but will be hopefully upgrading their brushed Carnages this weekend! Should be a lot faster 🙂 

Will be a lot faster! Just get a hardened spur and pinion on order if you haven’t already 👍🏻

• Like 1

Not done that yet, will wait until the stock one gets chewed up! 

Going to program them with softer acceleration as well, which seems to have helped my Carnage. 

Might order a programming card for the Hobbywings.

Will see how their cars perform...as I've currently got an Etronix set up in my Carnage! lol Can't have them having a better car than me! lol

On 17/07/2021 at 13:49, V8Guitar said:

They are smaller so I think 2.5 or 2 mm. Ordered both so I'll let you all know...surprised its not listed anywhere or come up before but I suppose others are sensible and use thread loc 🙂

So, screws arrived and yes they are 2.5 mm...for reference for anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

IMHO the Hobbywing is far superior to the Etronix

The stock pinion/spur will be shredded in about 5 minutes - order the RW hardened parts now 😂

Haha...I might have to take it off one of them and give the E-Tronix to the younger one! lol

To be honest, not sure what KV my Etronix is, but the Hobbywing is 3300. I bought the E-tronix in a whim...didn't even realise they had different shaft sizes until i got it and it was a 5mm shaft!

Used the FTX siege pinion which hasn't been shredded yet even though using stock spur and pinion. 

27 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Haha...I might have to take it off one of them and give the E-Tronix to the younger one! lol

To be honest, not sure what KV my Etronix is, but the Hobbywing is 3300. I bought the E-tronix in a whim...didn't even realise they had different shaft sizes until i got it and it was a 5mm shaft!

Used the FTX siege pinion which hasn't been shredded yet even though using stock spur and pinion. 

Which Etronix is it then?  I thought you meant the stock brushless system they fit as that is Etronix but 2950kv with a standard 1/8th inch output shaft. 

10 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Which Etronix is it then?  I thought you meant the stock brushless system they fit as that is Etronix but 2950kv with a standard 1/8th inch output shaft. 

Found the original post!!

As bought it on here!

Etronix Photon SC2.1FW System with 3000KV Motor and 80amp ESC

This is what is installed!

Edited by vimto2000

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've had to bother you all with a plea for help. Apologies in advance.

My son was playing with his stock-spec brushed Carnage 2.0, when - if he is to be believed - it just stopped.

So - no forward / reverse, but steering is OK. A red light flashes on the ESC when you try and accelerate, but.. nothing, No visible loose wires / dodgy connections.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for all your help 🙂

54 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've had to bother you all with a plea for help. Apologies in advance.

My son was playing with his stock-spec brushed Carnage 2.0, when - if he is to be believed - it just stopped.

So - no forward / reverse, but steering is OK. A red light flashes on the ESC when you try and accelerate, but.. nothing, No visible loose wires / dodgy connections.

Sounds to me as though either the motor or the esc has given up. The brushed electronics are basic, and aren’t built to last. May be a good reason to upgrade to brushless? You can do this without breaking the bank, but you tend to get what you pay for.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Hi all!

I had a similar issue when I changed batteries on my brushless....steerng worked but no forward and backwards.

Not sure if its the same but try re-calibrating the throttle range (page 6)

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/FTX5543/files/Carnage Brushless Manual.pdf

18 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

IMHO the Hobbywing is far superior to the Etronix

The stock pinion/spur will be shredded in about 5 minutes - order the RW hardened parts now 😂

Right...after me thinking my Spurs would last...I stripped it in my own RC car! 😆

Time to upgrade!! What teeth spur do you recommend?

Stock is 65T, should I just stick with that? Do you recommend changing to a better pinion? RW? And what T  do your suggest on Brushless..I think current is 19T

Might as well order 3 sets of Spur and the pinions at same time.

Cheers

Right just ordered:

2 x CNC Tamiya 0.6 Module Pinion    
1 x .6 Module Helicopter Pinion, 5mm Bore, short boss  
3 x FTX Vantage/Carnage 65t Acetal Spur Gear

Direct from RW Racing

Not a cheap month lol 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, V8Guitar said:

I had a similar issue when I changed batteries on my brushless....steerng worked but no forward and backwards.

Not sure if its the same but try re-calibrating the throttle range (page 6)

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/FTX5543/files/Carnage Brushless Manual.pdf

Thanks for that. No luck, unfortunately. I wonder if the motor is kaput...?

17 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Thanks for that. No luck, unfortunately. I wonder if the motor is kaput...?

If it’s the stock brushed motor it’s fairly likely, they’re not the most robust. 

Does the motor smell acrid?

On 19/07/2021 at 22:06, wateroftyne said:

Hi all!

Sent.you a message m8 .  

• Like 1

Can't believe it!! 

I've received the spurs and pinions today already!! Considering the postage was cheap compared to model shops, it's come so much quicker than the Eta from model shops. 

Definitely recommend going direct to the RC racing website!! 

8 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Can't believe it!! 

I've received the spurs and pinions today already!! Considering the postage was cheap compared to model shops, it's come so much quicker than the Eta from model shops. 

Definitely recommend going direct to the RC racing website!! 

Yeah, Neil’s a top dude. 

but it’s RW Racing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamradioguy said:

Has anyone converted a Carnage into a road car ?

I have a Carnage I dont use and have been thinking about getting a road car so wondered 

if I can convert the Carnage, I guess I would need to find wheels , suspension and body,

maybe some other bits ? 

It would be a very wide road car. Not just the suspension issue, but also the length of the arms? I’m sure it could be done, but would never handle like a GT.