• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

44 minutes ago, DavidBH said:

Thanks guys as always. So I presume these wheels will not ballon the same way the stock ones do? The lagging you put in do you glue that together or just fill the inside of the tyres. As they are bigger and if I do not change the gearing am I right in saying that will mean less acceleration but a higher top speed as same number of revolutions of the motor will mean same number of revolutions of the tyre but because of the increased circumference it will go further hence faster but slower acceleration?

That would actually be good as we feed the throttle in it constantly wheelies anyway! Sons 10th birthday on 26th May so spot on timing. Will nip to B&Q and see what sort of foam they have. Also 1 last thing what sort of glue do you use (CA is that contact adhesive?)

David

As red back said, they will still balloon, but the rubber on those particular tyres is much more rigid than the standard, so noticeable difference between them.

the lagging recommended has a self adhesive strip already in place, so easy to secure once inserted into the tyres.
The trick is to cut the inserts accurately to width with a knife and straight edge as a guide. Then finish off by cutting beveled edge along the 4 edges (against rim and against tyre) to shape them/give them slightly rounded edge.

I found I needed to gear down, but I had already previously geared up. You will maybe need to experiment with different pinions to find a sweet spot.

if you type in ‘rc tyre glue’ you will find lots of options. The main difference between regular superglue and tyre glue is the applicator (you get a small nozzel for getting in between the rim and tyre) and tyre glue is generally ‘runnier’. There are lots of helpful vids on YouTube showing you how to roll the glue round for neat and consistent results.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Turns out I’m not that great at glueing tyres to rims...   

However I’m excellent at glueing my thumb to tyres, my thumb to rims, my thumb to itself, my shorts to my leg and my index finger to an old pair of pants I was using as a rag....

has anyone a set of pre glued wheels they can recommend? 😆

• Haha 2

On 08/05/2021 at 21:15, walkbythesea said:

None so far.

And I searched a long time for suitable wheels for the Carnage and Rustler.

( Apart from the blue alloy version, which I really do not recommend )

On 08/05/2021 at 12:53, DavidBH said:

Thanks guys as always. So I presume these wheels will not ballon the same way the stock ones do? The lagging you put in do you glue that together or just fill the inside of the tyres. As they are bigger and if I do not change the gearing am I right in saying that will mean less acceleration but a higher top speed as same number of revolutions of the motor will mean same number of revolutions of the tyre but because of the increased circumference it will go further hence faster but slower acceleration?

That would actually be good as we feed the throttle in it constantly wheelies anyway! Sons 10th birthday on 26th May so spot on timing. Will nip to B&Q and see what sort of foam they have. Also 1 last thing what sort of glue do you use (CA is that contact adhesive?)

David

Not as much.

Here 2 old pics to compare.

One with the pipe lagging , one with the original insert:

IMG-4985.jpgIMG-4986.jpg

You might want to gear down, since the wheels are even bigger than the Bugsta ones.

Unless you want speed and stay on road.

See that you get closed cell foam from B&Q. they don't soak with water.

And the version that is not open on one side.

Bad: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223999193686?hash=item3427647256:g:oIsAAOSww41esEDG

Good: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273509911546?epid=22030367669&hash=item3fae760bfa:g:Z-MAAOSwLXNbxLm5

Got my slipper today, used it out on the road on it's storage charge inbetween showers and seems to be ok now, had to stop though as traction was on and off and kept flipping the car over on my new shell 😁🤬 I'll have to wait til it's dry again and take it back down then quarry.

I am considering selling it though and getting a Hyper VS but might just keep it as a bash about and save up a bit for the hyper! Got car insurance due next month aswell so need to save some pennies 😁

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Got my slipper today, used it out on the road on it's storage charge inbetween showers and seems to be ok now, had to stop though as traction was on and off and kept flipping the car over on my new shell 😁🤬 I'll have to wait til it's dry again and take it back down then quarry.

I am considering selling it though and getting a Hyper VS but might just keep it as a bash about and save up a bit for the hyper! Got car insurance due next month aswell so need to save some pennies 😁

I have kept both, and glad I have. My carnage has been on the shelf for a few weeks now, as the novelty has been too strong with the recently purchased VSe, but I will go back - its a brilliant truck and is worth much more to me than the few quid I'd get for selling it.

Mines like 90% ali now, only the front hubs and servo saver aren't, I've got literally a shoe box full of plastic spares aswell so i'd probably try and get around £200 for it which would pay for a Hyper roller. I've seen standard brushless ones with light use go on ebay for around £180 but I might just keep it though and carry on using it until i can afford an RTR Hyper.

2 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Well it was defo the slipper, just been out with it and it was 100% apart from making itself 2WD towards the end (front diff cup)

That’s great, glad you have it sorted. 👍🏻

wouldn’t be right if you came home without any damage after a session with a carnage 🤪

22 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

wouldn’t be right if you came home without any damage after a session with a carnage 🤪

lol true. Just waiting on another voucher now so i can get some more batteries 😁

54 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Well it was defo the slipper, just been out with it and it was 100% apart from making itself 2WD towards the end (front diff cup)

Well i just had aload of probs with mine going in to 2WD    .on monday i had to change the diff and the small cog inside my other car (front )   now my carnage is only FWD  and the back the wheels are just free spin   now power at all so I have to strip it down and see   be the diffs of the slipper of somthing bad .  

Ooooooooo well     I just done a Pete Griffin  moment.   .

So today was out with the carnage bashing it wheelspins   drifting  turns skids . Driving thro puddles   having a blast . 

Then the carnage starts to drive odd   not as fast but front wheels starting to  spin qhicker then the back then . 

Back stops altogether   so I picks it up and back wheels spin free no grip noise at all . Dam must be the diffs as I done my other car monday . Same problems (but on the front this time)  

So tonight   sits down get all the stuff ready to strip the carnage down   and away   I go wheels off spur gear cover   

Wipping thro the strip down like F1 team in pit stop.  

Takes the back section off the car  ok now to check the diff (looking at it from underneath.  )  no  diffs like new   small one is fine aswell . 

Tuens back section over and I see it ............

Iv lost one of my small drive shafts (probably the one I lost last week)  

Aaaaaaaawwwwwww crap   iv just stripped the car down for no reasone at all . Just needed to look at it properly.... 

My peter Griffin moment... 

So just aswell I bought them replacements last week .  .. 

So carnage in the shop till posty arrives ... 

9 hours ago, Scottyb said:

I am waiting on new slipper pads for mt vantage speed runner, i tried it out in street with the new GRP S7 wheels and seems the slipper started to let go, figured i just as well get new pads and fit them then tighten it right up

Edited by Jack Reacher

Can anyone shine a light on how the wee drive shaft came out   as it was in correct . I didnt crash it this time . As i was just driving on a gravel road doing turns  and it  just went to 2wd   ??? I didnt even think to look at the shafts as it just looked like the diff had gone . 

As these are in tight .. 

3 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Can anyone shine a light on how the wee drive shaft came out   as it was in correct . I didnt crash it this time . As i was just driving on a gravel road doing turns  and it  just went to 2wd   ??? I didnt even think to look at the shafts as it just looked like the diff had gone . 

As these are in tight .. 

which drive shaft (part number) have you lost? 

Are the vantage wheels good on grass, thinking of getting 2 sets of rears? Found a sort of downhill golf course type place today and it was a lot of fun jumping off the verges and out of the bunkers until it ****** it down 😂 . I think i might have buckled my back wheels trying to get them off lol it looks like a clown car when you go slow!

Would changing the pinion make the battery last longer on grass or is it just a case of a bigger mah battery? using the 12T and 47T steel spur atm on a 3300kv motor, get barely 20mins on grass, normally get about 40 on gravel in the quarry but been banned from there until august as they are doing some work down there 😞 

5 hours ago, Ant.p said:

which drive shaft (part number) have you lost? 

Hi m8 .  It's the one small back one .  Ftx6323. 

The two new ones arrived to day so fitted both new ones and one old one as spare.  

I just dont get how its come out . As theres about 5mm play  if that   so dont get how it came out  . I got the 1st time when it was flipping over  side over side  front over back   I get that  but this time I was just doing turns an that  wheels never left the ground..  

I think I saw something earlier in this thread about someone else having the same problem. I think they had to put washers on the diff side to push the cup out a bit to stop the shaft coming out. If you get CVD's instead of the dogbones you can't really lose them

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

I think I saw something earlier in this thread about someone else having the same problem. I think they had to put washers on the diff side to push the cup out a bit to stop the shaft coming out. If you get CVD's instead of the dogbones you can't really lose them

Hi I too remember seeing somthing about that too . 

But mine are very tight  when I say tight  there is very little play . 

Iv moved the suspension up and down to see if it makes the gap wider  but no  it's still very little gap . When one side is in as far as it goes on the other end it's not even half way down the cup . 

The only thing I can think of when it came put last time (if it was the same side ) I might got bent  so it got bit shorter and came out that way . .

Well new ones in night and tight   off for a bash friday for 2 hrs    

3 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Are the vantage wheels good on grass, thinking of getting 2 sets of rears? Found a sort of downhill golf course type place today and it was a lot of fun jumping off the verges and out of the bunkers until it ****** it down 😂 . I think i might have buckled my back wheels trying to get them off lol it looks like a clown car when you go slow!

Would changing the pinion make the battery last longer on grass or is it just a case of a bigger mah battery? using the 12T and 47T steel spur atm on a 3300kv motor, get barely 20mins on grass, normally get about 40 on gravel in the quarry but been banned from there until august as they are doing some work down there 😞 

I use zorro wheelsnon one car .  And carnage wheels on my carnage   and they do well on grass .  Dont know about vantage ones . 

The zorro ones do slid a bit when turning .  carnage just grips . 

8 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Rear Vantage wheels are narrower and smaller in diameter than the carnage wheels. I don’t know for sure about grip, but ground clearance will be reduced as will top speed.