• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Zee are usually a good battery tho get a lot of good reports and are popular :good:

They were great a week ago, one of them just randomly died and i've been storage + balance charging them properly. The other one i have is brill, Can't fault them for the price, It won't put me off buying them in the future

Just posting some positive thoughts on the humble Vantage, when i got it i figured i would not keep it long, it was bought purely for speed runs, something cheap to abuse while i get the big 1/8th Hyper built.........now it seems i would rather keep the Vantage and sell the Hyper GT!, the Vantage has just been solid, has not failed, has suffered some high speed curbs, high speed roll overs, so far barely a scratch, despite so far pushing it to over 60mph, this has now got me thinking the Buggy/truggy style is more suited to speed runs over the GT touring car.....yeah vantage is a good bit of kit

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Just posting some positive thoughts on the humble Vantage, when i got it i figured i would not keep it long, it was bought purely for speed runs, something cheap to abuse while i get the big 1/8th Hyper built.........now it seems i would rather keep the Vantage and sell the Hyper GT!, the Vantage has just been solid, has not failed, has suffered some high speed curbs, high speed roll overs, so far barely a scratch, despite so far pushing it to over 60mph, this has now got me thinking the Buggy/truggy style is more suited to speed runs over the GT touring car.....yeah vantage is a good bit of kit

I have to say my relationship with FTX is a confused one. On one hand I love it; cheap to buy, cheap parts, lots of upgrade options etc. So this is all good, except; poor out the box, parts are cheap for a reason - they break, and hop ups I need that don't exist (hardened diffs). If nothing else, I have rekindled my love for RC and learnt a lot from the carnage, but its limitations have left me using the car at a performance level that doesn't keep me going back.

Having said all that, its not put me off just yet, and I'm keen to give the vantage a try. Lots of positive feedback about this model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Good I have 1 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Like 1

I was about to sell up my bugsta as I break something nearly every time I take it out (front diff latest casualty) but instead I've just been out and bought a nearly full aluminium brushless runner with a few bits missing for £30 off Facebook. There must be £120's worth of hop ups on it!

MVIMG_20210426_201540.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

I was about to sell up my bugsta as I break something nearly every time I take it out (front diff latest casualty) but instead I've just been out and bought a nearly full aluminium brushless runner with a few bits missing for £30 off Facebook. There must be £120's worth of hop ups on it!

MVIMG_20210426_201540.jpg

What a find! Can’t even buy the set of wheels for that. You jammy git!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it worth greasing the diff drive and bevel gears? I've done it before but everytime I open it back up there's mud and crap in there? Just been watching YouTube vids about shimming and they all left them dry when they put them back together 

IMG_20210427_155704492_HDR.jpg

Edited by Scottyb

21 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Is it worth greasing the diff drive and bevel gears? I've done it before but everytime I open it back up there's mud and crap in there? Just been watching YouTube vids about shimming and they all left them dry when they put them back together 

IMG_20210427_155704492_HDR.jpg

Definitely the bevel gears inside the diff as it’s a (fairly) sealed unit. I’ve also been putting a little grease on the diff gear and spur but only because it was like that as standard, so assume there would be (more) issues without? 

9 minutes ago, Wltoys 12402-a said:

What size pinion is in the vantage brushless out off the box ta 

23 teeth

mod 0.6 

3.175mm bore

Just now, Wltoys 12402-a said:

Thank you would it take a 25 or 26 teeth do you no Thank you 

Provided the pitch matches ( mod 0.6) you can experiment with various sizes. Depending on how hard you’re working the motor and on what surface will dictate how big you can make it. 
Increasing to 25/26 teeth shouldn’t be a problem at all.

1 minute ago, Ant.p said:

Provided the pitch matches ( mod 0.6) you can experiment with various sizes. Depending on how hard you’re working the motor and on what surface will dictate how big you can make it. 
Increasing to 25/26 teeth shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Ok thank you will look into now think a pinion is only 2.50 anyway lol do worth a trying 

Could someone tell me the wheel diagonal size with tyre and tyre width on the vantage please? Looking to get some new wheels/tyres for my bugsta, I think the standards are too fat and wobbly for it lol but not sure what to get. I think I'd like to give some skinnier buggy wheels about the same size as the bugsta ones a go if poss, just trying to find some atm. Just so I can take it to the gravel BMX track as last time I went with mine it handled and jumped terribly!

2 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Could someone tell me the wheel diagonal size with tyre and tyre width on the vantage please? Looking to get some new wheels/tyres for my bugsta, I think the standards are too fat and wobbly for it lol but not sure what to get. I think I'd like to give some skinnier buggy wheels about the same size as the bugsta ones a go if poss, just trying to find some atm. Just so I can take it to the gravel BMX track as last time I went with mine it handled and jumped terribly!

Vantage wheel size is 2.2 the diameter is about 85mm fronts are about 28 wide rears about 40 wide

4 hours ago, Scottyb said:

If you’re having the same problem I had, it’s the foam inserts, or should I say lack of. My FTX stock inserts disintegrated within a handful of uses leaving the tyres running essentially flat.