• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

13 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

So far i have changed the draggy rear wing to a Bugsta one, fitted 2.2 wheels with arrow road tyres, next list of things is to remove the 65 tooth spur and fit 49 tooth Acetal fit 3660 3300kv motor with 24 tooth pinion, the gearing is 32DP, waiting for the hobbywing 120 amp esc, this will allow me to run 4s lipo max, using a dumboRC X6g radio for long range and steering gyro and will have the Spead flea GPS to log max speed target is 70 MPH any more will be a bonus

I was thinking.... about the aerodynamics.

Does a rear wing actually really helps?

After all, it's 4WD and you would need equal downforce front & back.

Then I think the soft shock absorbers won't help much as well.

I would lower the chassis as much as possible, replace the shocks with rods and only use the wheels to absorb the shocks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ant.p said:

That’s one big bonus with FTX. At least they’re affordable. Especially when you have two cars to maintain! Each time I do an upgrade, I’m doing 2 😬

You're clearly right with that.

I am just fed with repairing.

Because of that I never get the chance to continue on my Arduino project for my TRX-4.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jens said:

I was thinking.... about the aerodynamics.

Does a rear wing actually really helps?

After all, it's 4WD and you would need equal downforce front & back.

Then I think the soft shock absorbers won't help much as well.

I would lower the chassis as much as possible, replace the shocks with rods and only use the wheels to absorb the shocks.

the wing does make a difference, but the stock one has a 90 degree lip and reduces top speed by 3 mph, i like the stock shocks but going to put heavy oil in them and set the preloads to max

2 minutes ago, Jens said:

You're clearly right with that.

I am just fed with repairing.

Because of that I never get the chance to continue on my Arduino project for my TRX-4.

It’s still a novelty for me, having only used the cars a handful of times. At the moment, I am having to research and work out how to do certain repairs. I’m sure it will become a chore with time. I like the idea of customising too, so I see it a challenge to repair things so that they are better than when new as standard. 
for me, it is a hobby, some quality time with my son, and a nice way to switch off from the world and the real problems for a while.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

the wing does make a difference, but the stock one has a 90 degree lip and reduces top speed by 3 mph, i like the stock shocks but going to put heavy oil in them and set the preloads to max

At 70 odd miles per hour I imagine you get drag off even the body posts! You’ll have to sharpen everything at the front end to a point 😆

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Reacher said:

Well, makes sense as well.

Maybe you get the car low enough to even have some ground effect ( or whatever it is called ).

Steering maybe to proportional. It would be less sensitive.

Front wing to have some downforce in the front.

Getting speed is really difficult, I would say.

To gain speed you would need to gain more down force for stability at that speed.

More down force means less speed.

Can only be compensated with more power...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jens said:

I'm here. :lol:

Just nothing to say since I am waiting for parts to fix the damages from last weekend.

But then...

New shell just arrived:

IMG-5251.jpg

And I refrain from saying anything about shocks.

It was a pain with my Rustler. Had the same issue as you. Solved now with the most expensive solution (GTR shocks and progressive springs imported from US).

So I am not in a mood going through it again with the Carnage.:insane:

Regarding shocks does anyone know what weight oil the vantage comes with because they do seem to be a bit to soft sometimes?

On 16/03/2021 at 22:06, oscart2005 said:

Regarding shocks does anyone know what weight oil the vantage comes with because they do seem to be a bit to soft sometimes?

If it’s the same as the carnage, it’s 30wt. I’ve just spent a while researching and reading through various forums. I’ve decided to go for some 50wt to see if that helps. If this doesn’t improve things, I will then consider a full replacement, but most the recommended brands cost as much or more than the car, so not keen.

Edited by Ant.p
  • Like 1

Well the spur and pinion arrived   49t 32dp  13t 32dp 

So fitted them put it on the carpet went off almost as fast as it used to brushed  so happy . 

Went outside on the path zoomed away on to the grass zoomed around no probs   stopped   .........chugg chugg then off it went .   Stopped reverse      chugg      off like a shot back wheels up off the grass for a second   stop  chugg chugg off like a shot so it still chuggs for about 2 to 3 secs then off it goes . Stopped in sort of long grass hight the wheel (where I cant park car so grass bit long )  wont move at all just sat there chugging   sputtering.  For about 5 secs   so then walked over moved it . So   what spur pinion I do now .   ?????????? As its getting  closer to the brusless bin  tell.you 

7 hours ago, Iain .R said:

So fitted them put it on the carpet went off almost as fast as it used to brushed  so happy . 

Went outside on the path zoomed away on to the grass zoomed around no probs   stopped   .........chugg chugg then off it went .   Stopped reverse      chugg      off like a shot back wheels up off the grass for a second   stop  chugg chugg off like a shot so it still chuggs for about 2 to 3 secs then off it goes . Stopped in sort of long grass hight the wheel (where I cant park car so grass bit long )  wont move at all just sat there chugging   sputtering.  For about 5 secs   so then walked over moved it . So   what spur pinion I do now .   ?????????? As its getting  closer to the brusless bin  tell.you 

If it’s meshed properly, the pinion and spur are securely fixed, not damaged and match in pitch (like you say they do above) then it simply can’t be a gearing issue. Have you checked your diffs etc to see if there is any resistance elsewhere? I’m wondering if it could be an issue with your esc?

My sons car started playing up with similar characteristics on the stock brushed system. I took this as an excuse to upgrade his to the same motor/esc combo as mine and it solved the issue; as well as putting a bigger smile on his face!

Next time it happens, try turning the power off and gently push the car to see if you can feel any resistance without influence from the car’s electrics.

On 16/03/2021 at 20:44, Jens said:

Well, makes sense as well.

Maybe you get the car low enough to even have some ground effect ( or whatever it is called ).

Steering maybe to proportional. It would be less sensitive.

Front wing to have some downforce in the front.

Getting speed is really difficult, I would say.

To gain speed you would need to gain more down force for stability at that speed.

More down force means less speed.

Can only be compensated with more power...

abe237f07fc3c42b7d1b071b5e417ccf--big-hearts-jeremy-clarkson.jpg

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Iain .R said:

49/13 creates somewhat the standard ratio for the stock brushless setup.

But has it gone any better than before?

6 hours ago, Ant.p said:

If it’s meshed properly, the pinion and spur are securely fixed, not damaged and match in pitch (like you say they do above) then it simply can’t be a gearing issue. Have you checked your diffs etc to see if there is any resistance elsewhere? I’m wondering if it could be an issue with your esc?

My sons car started playing up with similar characteristics on the stock brushed system. I took this as an excuse to upgrade his to the same motor/esc combo as mine and it solved the issue; as well as putting a bigger smile on his face!

Next time it happens, try turning the power off and gently push the car to see if you can feel any resistance without influence from the car’s electrics.

No theres nothing   wheels off the ground it's a supa responsive   soon as you put it on the ground   its chuggs struggles then goes . 

4 hours ago, Jens said:

49/13 creates somewhat the standard ratio for the stock brushless setup.

But has it gone any better than before?

It's a bit faster when it goes on the floorn(when it it finally moves )  wheels off the floor pull the trigger a little bit and the wheels turn and even balloon. 

I can even pull the trigger all the way back when it's on the floor and nothing happends    like it's not even turned on let the trigger go then pull it slower its chuggs . All batterys are full charged . 

It's like the car too heavy for it to move . 

As off the wheels its fast and responsive.  

10 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

It's a bit faster when it goes on the floorn(when it it finally moves )  wheels off the floor pull the trigger a little bit and the wheels turn and even balloon. 

I can even pull the trigger all the way back when it's on the floor and nothing happends    like it's not even turned on let the trigger go then pull it slower its chuggs . All batterys are full charged . 

It's like the car too heavy for it to move . 

As off the wheels its fast and responsive.  

All that doesn't look good.

I think the motor has an issue or ESC/motor are too weak for the Carnage.

You could try to gear down more to 49/10.

Probably it will get better.

But I believe it won't be completely to your satisfaction.

You might want to consider moving on to a more branded ESC/Motor.

2 hours ago, Jens said:

All that doesn't look good.

I think the motor has an issue or ESC/motor are too weak for the Carnage.

You could try to gear down more to 49/10.

Probably it will get better.

But I believe it won't be completely to your satisfaction.

You might want to consider moving on to a more branded ESC/Motor.

I just need to find a 10t 32dp   yea . .

I have asked a few ppl and they all say that this motor is fine for this car . But I have been told that I need a 60A esc to 360A   to make it work as the 45A esc is not strong enough.  

I got one on watch list at £18    but I dont have funds to buy it  till next week so I'll have to wait till then  then buy it and see. If that does anything . 

On the road is fine   but soon as its hits grass its struggles to move it till it  like gets a kick in the butt lol them it's off like a dog with rocket up is hole . Lol 

I just need to use it on a empty car park and dont stop lol 

1 minute ago, Iain .R said:

I have asked a few ppl and they all say that this motor is fine for this car . But I have been told that I need a 60A esc to 360A   to make it work as the 45A esc is not strong enough.  

I got one on watch list at £18    but I dont have funds to buy it  till next week so I'll have to wait till then  then buy it and see. If that does anything . 

On the road is fine   but soon as its hits grass its struggles to move it till it  like gets a kick in the butt lol them it's off like a dog with rocket up is hole . Lol 

Upgrade from 45A to 60A would make sense to do first.

But then better be careful choosing the right ESC. Maybe you go for a budget Hobbywing Quicrun.

I have one in the Brushless Bugsta with the stock brushless motor. It is "satisfying".

Here are the pinions:

10T: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corally-32-Dp-Pinion-Short-Hardened-Steel-10-Teeth-Shaft-Dia-3-17mm/353153894972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

9T: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corally-32-Dp-Pinion-Short-Hardened-Steel-9-Teeth-Shaft-Dia-3-17mm/353205081680?epid=23010796232&hash=item523ca9d650:g:qjwAAOSw~xRgRngt

I never bought the 9T, but it might be a better option.

2 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hobbywing QuicRun 60A Electronic Speed Controller 1060 Waterproof Brushed LiPo w

Is this the one 

Iain,

I am getting a bit confused.

Do you have a brushed or brushless setup in your Carnage?

2 minutes ago, Jens said:

Iain,

I am getting a bit confused.

Do you have a brushed or brushless setup in your Carnage?

I have a brusless set up  but it's going in the bin wasted to much fun time it sitting on the stand so I'm going to put back the brushed set up . 

Unless you have a brusless esc in your bug an iv got the wrong one up here . 

Boom! Thanks for the advice re the wheels, @Jens. They’re superb. I was impatient and ordered the 76 x 25 insulation (without measuring before they were delivered) and it fitted a treat. My son is a bit jealous, but wanted to order just one set initially to make sure they work okay.

did you upgrade the steering servo after upping the wheel size? The 3kg standard one isn’t great, and I’m thinking the added resistance on the ground and weight will only make things worse. Will test it out tomorrow and see. 

FCA94AA7-8E29-4092-A1BC-2537A6908076.jpeg

AE5B75AF-FEE4-4879-8023-6C71F9901E3A.jpeg

Edited by Ant.p
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Definitely sounds like an electrical issue, more than likely the esc. Really hope you get it sorted before you give up. Brushless runs rings around brushed (when it works). Please persevere, you won’t be disappointed if you manage to get to the bottom of it.

• Thanks 1

@Ant.pStock servos to weak even for the stock wheels, upgrade is a must. Can get a decen 18kg + for less than 20£

@Iain .RFustrating to see you have issues, a 60amp would be min spec for this size truck, not sure why you went for 45amp when 60amps were reccommened in the first place.
Can probbably keep the motor but the esc sounds like it doesnt have the power to move the motor. Hobbywing Max 10 or the Extronix 2.1 FW 60amp that comes in the outlaw.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1