• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Baja 5SCe Brushless - El Beasto \m/

Noj

7s :)

Plenty of full throttle runs, jumps, minimal pootling about. As per, packs were a little soft on switch off, that's normal tbh....just the way she consumes power ;)

The packs (set 'A') are also the first ones I bought so have had a tough life. The second set I used were set 'E' which took 165 minutes to charge and balance from storage (wtf???), yet had more punch. I didn't quite get them to lvc, stored and balanced up in 34 minutes?

Zippy bricks, gotta love 'em :)

It's that crap Hyperion you use taking all that time to charge a couple of small Zippys :tease: :tease:

In truth, I sometimes get the same thing with mine, today for example, charged a Zippy 2s from storage and it took 86 minutes, yet the pack I'd used the day before, from storage, took just 32 minutes.

Maybe if they've been left at storage for a while they take longer to balance?

These have been in storage since last year...... I did a cell check before packing them away, no cell was more than .01 off storage so I was lazy and left 'em, thinning out the packs with weak cells at the time.

Really, really shoddy lipo care, I'll be running every pair a couple of times asap to get 'em back in the mood for a good thrashing......what a chore that's going to be..... ;)

Another pair of packs through, first lot off at lvc, according to the charger, all cells at 3.7v. I know the ESC is set to 3.4v, so will change to 3.2v and see what happens.

One, brand new front wheel buckled badly enough to have to replace. That lasted six runs or so? Will drop Neil at SB an email about it....

Pics to post later of the rebuild.... Next job is shock servicing, as the rears are rather saggy...

Replacement front wheels received from Neil today, foc. A very kind gesture indeed, cheers :)

Replacing front foams, as the stockers are now a bit unhappy....have some prolines in the garage somewhere...

A touch later than planned....however:

Ally DDM steering post mounts, upper and lower:

BEASTO201501DSCN2688_zps3gnosuvw.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2690_zpst9mxaaxn.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2689_zps14qdysu0.jpg

New rose joints (the KM's previously fitted are now on the B)

BEASTO201501DSCN2692_zpswffk8rbp.jpg

Lost the slipper cover a long time ago, had a bit of jaffa taped across, decided a neaten up was in order, cue plasticard, circular cutter and glue

BEASTO201501DSCN2687_zpsk7kxipks.jpg

of course soon as I had done this, stumbled across a pair of replacement covers in a box in the garage  :xd:

Onto the battery area. I'd been able to screw the straps to the side of the kraken, contemplated doing the same with the IRC then thought better of it. Made a flat tray from plasticard, then stuck it to the chassis with some of those nice, sticky discs that were sold on ebay from a forum member  :thumbsup:

BEASTO201501DSCN2691_zpsjdiodute.jpg

Now, it being late when I measured up, the straps weren't in the best of places...first run out as was and after a roll, both packs fell out of the chassis a little......enter strap no3. I made a cross piece from the remains of the KM rear wing, drilled it out to fit over the foremost rear plate to chassis mounting bolts, fastened the strap through itself onto the cross member and then bolted it down with washers and M6 nylocs:

BEASTO201501DSCN2699_zpsp5m0fewk.jpg

Those bricks are going nowhere  :thumbsup:

All sorted out and sitting with her sister on the deck:

BEASTO201501DSCN2702_zpscqeqcato.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2701_zpsqwareieh.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2704_zpsx6kar4x1.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2700_zpszzfxreq7.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2703_zpsgvm4an24.jpg

New N-R-P wing on the B looks rather bloody tasty imho  :yes:

BEASTO201501DSCN2706_zps9theyjm9.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2705_zps9qopboj4.jpg

Now, RCbutcher was keen to find out where the weak spots on a 5SC shell are, and which areas need most gluing. Bear in mind this shell was mine, went through two new owners before coming back to me (foc of course :xd: ) and has since been bashed hard, I think it shows a fair representation of where impact damage is most likely to occur.....

BEASTO201501DSCN2697_zpsvcv73zks.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2696_zpssaaxhim7.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2695_zpso4amd5dt.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2693_zps5lktklmz.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2694_zpsjeqs9zgx.jpg

arches before taking to them with a nine inch plate, scriber and lexan scissors:

BEASTO201501DSCN2698_zps8dgao4tj.jpg

Finally for now, how being tight, marginally good with a drill and saw and somewhat ingenious creates storage for two largescales in a small space:

BEASTO201501DSCN2707_zpstq7lnohu.jpg

BEASTO201501DSCN2708_zpsyhqhhahq.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Like 1