• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Baja 5SCe Brushless - El Beasto \m/

Noj

Go for it Clive, on 6s you should be ok; I still run 7s as standard tbh, you knows I like a bit of headroom.....

I wouldn't be strapping the go pro to it when testing it out tho.....then again, IF you can salvage the footage afterwards....

Should I up mine from 15 to 17/57? Gotta find a way to vent the HK ESC!

• 2 months later...

Well, she has survived another summer....sort of.....took a HUGE landing hit a few weeks back, which finally killed the hitec 5765MH servo, fitted an XQ replacement from hobbyking and will test over the weekend  :thumbsup:

On further inspection of the arse end, once the cage was off, I found some not very happy RPM parts..... :whistling:

DSCN19860001TranceX2_zps28697df1.jpg

DSCN19870001TranceX2_zps91491958.jpg

DSCN19890001TranceX2_zps42d6cf64.jpg

DSCN19880001TranceX2_zps9285c429.jpg

DSCN19850001TranceX2_zpsc5e9f2c9.jpg

Also loosened the cap pack from its mount, but no biggie:

DSCN19900001TranceX2_zps21f721be.jpg

Still reliable, still ridiculous fun - what more can you ask for, from any RC?  :thumbsup:

Driving it is fine....landings are just not going well!! Repaired with cable ties for now, it will see the year out.....maybe.....

Yup, landings are the issue. A 1/8 can be righted mid-flight with ease, but not a 1/5! If it's gone wrong in the air, it'll land wrong, end of.

The XQ works fine, pleased with that for the money AND, unlike the hitec, allows you to have the horn vertical for setting up, which is nice.

The cable tie repairs lasted one landing....back to the drawing board and the spares box :xd:

Hobbyking Hong Kong warehouse, not available elsewhere. Comes with an ally horn (that needs drilling out to take the HPI ball connector but I like, so much so, am ordering another for the B, as that is on the way out...

Bodgery in mind....the mind has been mulling it over....

No stock bits in the spares box, back to cable ties....which just don't work. A bit like the XQ power steering servo, which lasted exactly 2.5 runs and is now dead after a mis-landing. Utter rubbish IMO and not a cheap solution. Back to hitec, providing I can find a better ally servo horn than the fastrax ones, which are also rubbish.

Both badgers down, bother!

• 3 weeks later...

Repaired with a mix of HPI and RPM parts, Hitec servo reinstalled with the tedious fastrax horn, however a bit of fiddling got the steering centred. Fitted a pin to hold one on one of the rear extenders, so hoping no more issues there.

Jury is still out on the slipper clutch....there is the stock HPI spacer collar behind it, along with a washer, however, after a few runs, these seem to get eaten, causing the slipper to catch on the backplate, resulting in wearing of both, and nice groves cut into the back of the slipper assembly by the (now slightly exposed) bolt heads fastening the back plate on. In fact, i have never been convinced that the CC conversion kit has ever been 100% square, despite repeated loosening and reinstalling attempts...I may treat her to an Alza conversion kit instead, tho i still won't be running any mechanical brakes, for they are for poor drivers  :tease:

Just need a bit of dry weather to go play  :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Thanks very much fella  :thumbsup:

Soooo.....bit of an update for those who may be mystified by these pics from Rossyra

Discussions with FTI (who has fitted a PCSC to one of his gassers) and also Corbs10 about rubbing issues, and general castle kit tedium have left me scratching my head as to why I have had so much faff with mine...Rossyra's images show how he has spaced his PCSC for reference  :thumbsup:

I purchased the slipper when they were new on the market, not expecting any issues......HPI now clearly state on their website that the PCSC is NOT suitable for the flux?!?

I have emailed them for a definitive answer as to why...and will update in due course. I also intend to stick some piccies up of the mess the motor plate is in, just trying to do too many things at once as per... :whistling:

My thoughts too Tug, hence why I have emailed HPI.

I now know that using reverse unwinds the lock nut....no biggie, I don't use reverse unless absolutely necessary... it feels unlikely this is the sole reason for not fitting to a flux....

No reply yet from HPI...

Reply from HPI, which, actually says very little in the way of a definitive answer (which is what I asked for), so I have emailed them again...: :whistling:

Thanks for getting in contact with your query

Right, haven't had owt apart to check square, now have one silver collar, one purple collar and two of the washers in situe, and currently have clearance...once running time comes around, I shall see how quickly that changes... :thumbsup: